Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Leaning out my engine HELP ME PLEASE

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Leaning out my engine HELP ME PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 12:39 AM
Fuller07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaning out my engine HELP ME PLEASE

I got my Shockwave 36 a couple of weeks ago and i've run 3-4 tanks of fuel throught it and now its time for me to lean the engine out, to be honst i am really scared and am afarid that i will ruin my bueatiful engine so i have a couple of questions first of all how do i know if i've leaned it out properly? can i tell by the temp of the engine or what? the second is that does the fuel make a difference because the manual says to use 20% nitro fuel but the guy at the hobby shop gave me 15% and told me it didnt make a difference is he and idiot and should i pick up some 20% because the 15 is what i have been runing in my engine so far or am i safe? also one more question when i was adjusting the trim tabs on my boat one of them i was adjusting got a little ripple in it nothing huge and wavy but just a hare uneven in the middle does this make a difference in driving and if so how can i fix it with out buying a new trim tab or will i have to buy a new one? anyway thanks for all your help - Tim
Old 02-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Leaning out my engine HELP ME PLEASE

Tim, a lot of questions so I'll try to get through them.
Don't be scared. Take the needle in a little at a time. You'll want the motor to have a little lag when you blip the throttle. If it revs up too quickly, it's too lean. The prop will put a load on the motor leaning it out, that's why you want to hear the lag.
Check the head temp after every run with the "spit test". A drop of water or saliva dropped on the head will help to see if it's too lean. If it sizzles off, it's too lean. If it slowly bubbles away, it should be close. Do this as soon as you shut it down for best results. If the motor dies after launching and runs only a 100 feet or so it's lean also.
I hate to use the word "idiot" but I know what you're going through at most Hobby Shops especially with boats. We won't go there.
Your best bet is to break in the motor with the fuel that you plan on using, motors get used to whatever fuel you use. That motor could take 40% or more but if you're not racing, save your money. The big thing is to use a fuel that has plenty of oil, 18-20% if possible.
To repair your trim tab, clamp it in a vise using a piece of hard wood on each side to keep the vise from leaving marks on it.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:25 AM
Fuller07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ron
Old 02-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim, above all, do not let anyone convince you to set the needle on the beach (boat out of the water). If you have to ask why, read the comment in the "OPS .45 Speed" post. Do as Ron suggested and take it a little at a time. No more than 1/4 turn at a time on the needle. When the engine responds well to throttle advance and holds wide open throttle without sagging your there. If it sags at full throttle, pull the throttle back, bring it in and richen the mixture. There are no shortcuts unless you have remote mixture, which I'm sure you do not have.