Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

PROP DIFFS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 04:06 PM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROP DIFFS?

OK i was wondering what prop to get for my 1/12th bud boat? man there are so many i dont know what to get. ive seen some use the octura 440 or the y535? what are the #'s in reference to? how do i know what to get? i tried to do a search and couldnt come up w/anything.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:35 PM
letitloose

Default RE: PROP DIFFS?

I had someone tell me the octura y535 fits the Miss Budweiser the best. but don't know about the other props. Of course the boat comes with a plastic y534. I would guess it would either be size or pitch prop. Kind of like a real Prop.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There is one relatively new prop that you can try, the M-535/3. The "M" series are basically an "X" series prop with some of the tongue area removed. One local Miss Bud owner runs an X-435 on his and says that it doesn't cavitate like what the stock prop does. An X-440 would be to much prop for that boat. Here's a brief explanation of Octura prop numbers. In the X, Y or V series, the first number represents the pitch in millimeters times 1.X A 5 for instance means that the pitch is 1.5 times the diameter, the second 2 numbers in millimeters.
Y-535= 35mm dia. and 53.9mm pitch. A "/3" denotes a 3 bladed prop.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:25 PM
zzman

well im looking at a x-435 now and i hope to get it. how does the boat react to a 2 blade vs a 3 blade prop? ive read somewhere that the 3 has more speed but doesnt corner as easy? thanks Ron for all the help man.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:30 AM
Ron Olson

I don't know as I do have some props that are available in both the 2 and 3-blade versions. Some like the X-435 only come in a 2-blade and others in only a 3-blade. One advantage ot a 3-bladed prop on a surface drive is that one blade is always in the water. I've messed around with a lot of props on my boats, one I went through at least 6 props trying to find one that the boat liked. You can find that even if another manufacturer has an almost identical size that it will make a difference on a boat. My .21 mon for instance likes a Prather 220 but an Octua M-445 is close but the boat didn't like that one. Prather props have a constant pitch whereas an Octura has a progressive pitch so it works more like a scoop. The easy way to figure this out if you don't know is to put your hand under running water with a flat hand then cup your hand to see the difference in the flow of the water.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:26 PM
viperdude

the y535 rocks, we put it on and got a huge boost in power, it definately is a great fit on mrs. bud
Old 03-17-2005, 01:31 PM
zzman

well i just got the x435 but ,thats good to know about the y535. ill have to maybe try it also? i paid 13bucks for mine on ebay- is that a good price?
Old 03-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Ron Olson

$13.00 is about the going price at Hobby Shops.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:45 PM
zzman

ok i just got the x435 prop today and it said it needs sharpened and balanced? i thought the octua prop has this already done, how do i do this and not have to buy the balance machine? wich side of the blade do i sharpen, and is there a way i can check it for balance or can i just run it stock, will you notice that much if i dont do this?