Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Mean Machine 18

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Mean Machine 18

Old 03-27-2005, 02:34 PM
t3racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mean Machine 18

Has anyone purchased the rtr? I want information on speed (actually clocked and not the claim), I know that the company is good so I belive that this will be a good quality boat. Any other info would be appreciated. WHERE CAN YOU BUY THEM?[&:]
Old 03-28-2005, 01:09 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Mean Machine 18

Right now you can only order them directly from Aeromarine unless some of his dealers have them. If Remy says that they'll do 33 MPH I'd believe him over some of the other manufacturers that like to hype their products. I've seen his first prototype and the pre-production boats and if I didn't already have all the boats that I do, my name would be on the list for one.
I'll see Remy this coming weekend in Toledo and see what's up with the RTR version.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:24 PM
carfean

U know I just got off the phone with Remy and he said that He could not make it to the boat show! He is holding down the fort. He did say that the Mean 18 has been pushed back to the beginning of May. He had also said that they plan to make different hatches and you will be able to upgrade to a lager motor. I am very interested in looking to purchase the Mean 18. I am new to the boat side of r/c and have a few elec. and the Miss llumar. I like the upgrades in the llumar and thats what steered me away from the Miss bud. I was planing on looking to buy the shockwave, but now that I see the Mean 18 I think my mind is sold on the Mean 18. What do you think Ron? Thank all you guy for the great boat information. It really helps me find a great boat that I like and can grow with.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Ron Olson

That's kind of odd. I talk to Remy Jr. today at the Toledo show. Most of what was posted is true. The motors that they were going to install in the MM .18 were not up to their quality spces so they had to go shopping for another one. The boats are in shipment now but he does not have an exact date for them to arrive as they have to go through Customs, etc., but are expected sometime in May. I asked about the radio system also, it looks like it will be made by Airtronics but not have the Airtronics name on it. They have 2 of those huge freight cargo boxes full of them, one of those is already sold.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79721.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	252556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13421.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	252557  
Old 04-02-2005, 01:22 AM
carfean

Hey Ron thanks for the pictures! I must have talk to Sr. then, I dont know [&:] but he did say his name was Remy. Anyways, thanks for the info and if you do here anything else would you give me an update? I really like the boat so far and would like your feed back on the MM 18? I'm really thinking of buying it but would like more info and research. Any help from anyone would be much helpfull. thanks, Rey
Old 04-02-2005, 08:16 AM
Ron Olson

I would like to see a finished production version because all that they are showing are the pre-production ones right now so the ones hitting the streets will have some changes. They won't be as well painted as what he had there as those were painted by Dean Werges.
BTW, this is the largest undertaking that Aeromarine has ever done to date and from what he told me, not the last either! There are more boats in the works but what, he didn't say exactly but they will be IMPBA and NAMBA legal race boats for established classes, not any of the ones like others make that don't really fit into some class that isn't really used.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:24 AM
BaddogKY0007

Any idea what the price point may be on this boat? I am considering a Shockwave and was curious if this will be about the same cost and if it would be a good alternative as the Shockwave seems to have some issues with parts breaking.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:58 AM
Ron Olson

$379.00 .
Old 04-06-2005, 11:25 AM
carfean

Hey guys, I was browsing through one of my saved web sites and came apond a little more information on the MM 18. Check it out http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInf...tid=AERMEANRTR. Also the web site is very helpful for new boaters out there that need a little help and tips! Have fun!
Old 04-06-2005, 11:34 AM
boataddict

Yeah I too have been monitoring that page for the delivery times on that boat.

Take the period out of the link and it should work.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:01 PM
carfean

http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInf...tid=AERMEANRTR

Ops, Thanks!
Old 04-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Ron Olson

I just HAD to take a look at their ad. Their price is what Aeromarine wants to the boat so you really aren't getting a price break. They also mentioned wood motor rails. Whether or not it will come with those for sure, I don't know. The pre-production ones that I've had my hands on used a fiberglass molded motor mount. The wood rails would be a nice addition though as then it would be easier to drop in a larger motor down the road.
Yes, for all of you that get one and the .18 just ain't gettin' it any more and you want more speed, the hull is the same size as their .21/.45 Cats.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:25 PM
carfean

I do hope they do come out with the wood motor rails that would be great with all the other plans of improvements also. I think I can hang out a little longer for the MM 18. With the buzzer 18 you wont get these kinds of options with there boat. Just what you see.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Ron Olson

Remy is really hyped about this boat and all that it seemed that he wanted to say is that people will love it! Even he is very happy with the results after a lot of trial and error work. It will be the Gotta Have boat of the year but I'm also waiting to see what else that he has coming up in the future. He's staying mum on that right now. Sorry, I couldn't pry that out of him. All that I know is that they will be IMPBA and NAMBA class legal boats so I'm thinking a .21 or .45 powered boat but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Gas boat either in RTF form to take on the other ones. Wait and see.
I wish that I had a contact with someone at Hyperformance but I don't yet. Well, maybe one person but I'll have to check with him.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:14 PM
BaddogKY0007

Will this boat be available in a V?
Old 04-06-2005, 03:23 PM
carfean

Hey Ron, I heard from Remy that the upgrades will be a bigger or diff motor (maybe) where not happy with one now, different types of hatches, and something else but I forgot [sm=confused.gif]. If you look back in one of the forms with the title " Any info on the Bruzer 18 mono" you will find I have wrote a little about what I have obtained from Hypro. and the guys there! They seem to be really nice guys there and are willing to help and give you any info you need about the Bruzer 18. If you need any info just give me a buzz and I can try to answer and questions you have!
Old 04-18-2005, 01:21 PM
BaddogKY0007

I have tried calling these guy for several days now. They do not seem to answer the phone.
http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInf...tid=AERMEANRTR
I will be ordering either the ShockWave or the MeanMachine but would like to know when it will really be available. My two teenagers are wearing me out on this!

Which of these boat would be more forgiving? Least amount of hassle? I planned on replacing the flex shaft on the ShockWave right off the bat or at least having a spare. I wonder if the Mean Machine is more prone to flipping or spinning out? Any general thoughts on the differences in the hulls? When I ordered either model I wanted to order a list of spare parts such as glow plugs, props, special tools etc. What should I pick up along with it?
Tim T.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:01 PM
t3racer

I am looking at those two boats as well. I would go for the mean machine no doubt at all but it has yet to come out. My friend has a shockwave 36 and it is very fast but is not fun to race with because you cant bring it up to full throttle without it chine walking (bouncing from side to side), and yes you would have to get a new drive shaft, my friends boat broke two in two weeks! Flipping the boat is not fun so I think the mean machine would be more forgiving because of its stability.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Ron Olson

The Mean Machine 18 should be out in a few weeks if not sooner. Contact Aeromarine or Fun R/C Boats to see what the expected time will be. The Mean Machine 18 also has an optional starting kit that you might want to check into.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:50 PM
ejp67
My Feedback: (5)

Any word on engine???
Old 04-18-2005, 11:15 PM
ejp67
My Feedback: (5)

Since everyones only seen pics of it on a table here are some of it running. This has a .21 in it but you get the idea. The water was ROUGH that day and it still did great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18454.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	259998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36414.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	259999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98131.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	260000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81318.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	260001  
Old 04-18-2005, 11:16 PM
Ron Olson

I didn't get anything out of Remy when I talked to him at the Toledo show. I do know that they weren't happy with their first choice so that was part of the delay in getting the kits out. I thought that at first that he was going to have the CEN Racing/Kyosho motor then what they called an OPS/Aeromarine motor. I'm as anxious to see what the production boat is going to look like. The show boats were custom painted by Dean Werges so I know that the production ones will be slightly different in that respect. Dean's paint jobs aren't cheap. I know, I checked into having him paint my Sport 40.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:04 AM
BaddogKY0007

Ron, you seem to have quit a bit of experience with the various types of boats etc. I have been around large boats since I was 20. Lets say longer than I have not been. I am very familiar with various hull types, dead-rise angels, cats, hydros etc. in the full size boats. My current boat has a 502 w/SC and runs about 80. I have been in lighter boats at close to 100. I am familiar with chine walk, porpoising and other evil handling traits while actually in the boat. Cats are very stable in rough water to a point, once the amount of lift cannot keep up with the waves the cats can stuff whereas a V will just go nose high if the bow is high enough rather than stuff. Without steps on a V hull it is very hard to spin one out as they lean into the turns and a cat remains flat. I have experienced this in boats from 3,000 to 8,000 pounds.

What I am curious about is if the model boats behave about the same. Since trim and tab angles are not adjustable on the fly some handling traits are going to be determined by hull speed. I suppose what I am asking is if the RC cats will spin out or if you have some sort of indication you are turning too hard. Will the hull dance a bit and skip or does it just flip and your boat is soaked inside and out? The ShockWave says it will turn in a 12 ft area at speed. At 30 plus that seems pretty tight. Any guess on how a cat would turn. The pictures posted indicate that minor ripples will not be a problem. My kids are intending on running this from their ski boat. They have organized the storage areas in their boat to accommodate tools and supplies and have a storage area large enough for either the MM18 or ShockWave.

From looking at the posted pictures a little rough water won't bother the cat. I am leaning toward the MM18 in hopes that the quality and ease of use will be better. What can you tell me about the starting system you mentioned? One of the problems I foresee is getting the inside wet after dunking. It seems flotation could be added to prevent them from going down, the coves they will run this in are often 60 ft. deep. so sinking is out of the question.

Where can I get on the list for purchasing the MM18 and is one shop preferred over the other to deal with? I like to support any business that works with he customer.

Old 04-19-2005, 08:03 AM
Ron Olson

I looked on the Aeromarine site last night and didn't see it mentioned in there but I have it in my catalog. Contents: 1 quart of fuel, glow plug ignitor, 1 extra glow plug, 12 "AA" batteries, radio box tape and cable grease for $59.95 . They don't have a part number on it yet.
Floatation if it needs it is easy, I use water pipe insulation in my boats that can be tucked into the sponsons. The boat will also come with their auto-bailers already installed if the prototypes are any indication.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:38 PM
BaddogKY0007

I checked with Aeromarine today, at least another 3 weeks for shipping. I am on the list and this will be my first boat. Hope it is worth the wait!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.