Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 Nitro-Vee major problems >

Nitro-Vee major problems

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Nitro-Vee major problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 03:50 AM
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro-Vee major problems

From the first day I have been having problems with my nitro-vee. Never got it to run more then 6-7 minutes with very poor performance. Could not get it tuned right. Either sluggish or would turn off at high rpm. After unsuccesfully trying to get this junk to run I let it sit there for 3 years. Recently I got bite by the RC bug again and wanted to get it running. I did some research on the nitro-vee and found out all the problems people were having with this boat.
1. Cooling not sufficent and would overheat the engine and eventually damage it. Cooling upgrade=$4.00
The overheating rang a bell since I had burned my thumb on the head, but being a newbie didn't figure it out and kept trying to run it. I took the engine apart and tried to see if the piston and sleeve have been damaged. It looks like one side of the piston has rubbed alot. When I turn the flywheel it is not sealing 100% and some air is escaping from the exaust. I do feel a strong vacuum but I could see some air bubbles coming out from the exaust.
2. Prop cavitates (upgrade to Octura X440, with Octura shaft conversion).Prop & shaft=$41
3. Fins not installed correctly which causes spin outs. Need to install left fin. New fin and trim tab=$6.00
4. Fuel dripping on ABS. Which I learned first hand. Paint and repair=$13
5. Fuel leaks from exaust. new gaskets=$2
6. U-joint weak. New U-joint=$10
7. My hull craked from both sides.
8. Sank the hatch & drivers. Velcro didn't hold. =$25
9. No electronic box. Water proof=$7
10. Exaust tubing kinked and broke off. New tube =$2

Nitro-Vee literally priceless($0)! LOL $110 worth of upgrades. $350 price tag. Overall $460. I really wish I had done my homework before I jumped and got this piece of chit. I would have bought a shockwave 36 for the same amount of the boat.

Is there suppose to be a gasket between the water jacket and sleeve? Mine does not have one and if you dont tighten the screws hard enough air will leak. I have the TRX .15 by the way. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2005, 05:56 AM

Default RE: Nitro-Vee major problems

I have been building boats and raced them for nearly 10 years i got boats from 100 cm to 190 cm with engines from 10cc to 35 cc both nitro and gasoline. and the only hull thats good are those made of fiberglas.ABS hulls is not worth a dime.
specialy the ready to run kits they are just junk.
you schould have bought the shockwave 36 a friend of mine got one some days ago and it runs just great .nice fiberglas hull and a very nice made strutt and rudders.its the best ready to run kit i have ever seen.
SO GET RID OF THE ABS BOAT AND GET A SHOCKWAVE 36
Old 04-15-2005, 03:54 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Nitro-Vee major problems

sounds like you have all the bugs worked out...i have one (but got a shockwave) and had nothing but problems with it for the first few years. but i finally got it running good...will run all day w/o problems. the only suggestion i have is to run the boat w/o the drivers installed. just that little opening will allow much more airflow inside the boat. with the drivers on there, after a few minutes, the compartment gets super hot and starts to suffocate the motor and it starts running like crap. and no, my .15 does not have a gasket under the head, just make sure you torque down the head in an "X" patern and it should seal up nicely