Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Rossi 61

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 01:23 AM
goodtimes
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rossi 61

New to boating and was looking to buy a boat, found one with a Rossi 61. What do you guys think of the Rossi 61 Engine? Couldn't find any info on the net. Do you guys know where I could find the specs on it? Also Is Nova Rossi different than Rossi?
thanks
Old 05-23-2005, 07:27 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rossi 61

Yes and Yes. Rossi has always had a reputation as being a very good engine if it has been treated properly. You can make junk out of any engine by running it lean, not caring for it after the engine has run and not using the proper oil quantity in the fuel. As far as I know about Nova Rossi, they are made by different members of the Rossi family. Cousins or something like that. Both very good engines however. Search the net for Rossi America. They will be your source for information.

www.rossisales.com
Old 05-23-2005, 11:00 AM
krpnova

For help,or parts for your Rossi 61 get ahold of Bob Morris at Morris hobbies in Texas.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:44 PM
goodtimes

Are the 61's fairly a new model? Could I find parts for them? How much do you guys think a 42" Aeromarine Sprint cat with a Rossi 61 and all electronics is worth? Can you guys tell what kind of hardware is used? Would it be easy to upgrade to gas later?
Thanks

Old 05-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Please try to keep it down to one thread if possible. One will have to be deleted soon.
In the meantime, I'll try to answer questions from both here.
Rossi and Nova Rossi are 2 different companies but the owners are related, it's a long story there.
Yes, the boat could be upgraded to a gas engine later on if desired but in the other posting it sounded like you wanted to convert the engine from nitro to gas, a no-can-do. Some have done it the other way though.
I don't recognize the hardware on the boat, some of it looks home-made or modified.
I can't give you a price, it'll go for whatever the market will take.
Did anyone else notice a few things about the boat? The fuel and pressure lines aren't hooked up to a too small fuel tank? It will need a good 16-18 oz. tank, that one looks to be about an 8 ouncer. It'll need a large fuel line to handle the draw to the carb. I can't quite figure out the water cooling lines either. No prop. Is that the antenna wire alongside the engine rail? Somebody made the radio box, it's not an Aeromarine. Please don't tell me that's the throttle linkage that's all bent up!
Old 05-25-2005, 01:50 AM
goodtimes

I'm sorry for the duplicate thread.
Would the 61 have enough power to push it? Anyone know where I could find the specs on the engine? Would like to know how many HP it puts out.

Ron,
It is the throttle linkage.... It looks like I will be doing some changes to the boat when I receive it. What size tubing should I use for the fuel? It looks like he used the same size for the water and fuel. Is there different fuel tanks for nitro and gas. I was thinking to upgrade the fuel tank so I could later replace the nitro engine with a gas engine and use the same tank.
Thanks guys for all your help
Old 05-25-2005, 11:07 AM
goodtimes

duplicate post
Old 05-25-2005, 12:09 PM
Ron Olson

The person might have just slapped the lines on it for looks. You may want to go with large sized lines for the fuel and water lines, the pressure line should be okay. If you like the colored lines, G.S. Racing makes them in colors in the medium and large sizes. Du-Bro may also. I prefer the clear lines for fuel and pressure myself so I can see the fuel flow.
When you change the fuel tank, go with a Sullivan. They do have an optional kit for changing their tanks to gas use as the stock rubber stopper doesn't like gas.
The Rossi .61 ought to push that boat with no trouble but I don't know the HP and RPM numbers. A guess would be 5 HP and around 25,000 RPM.
One other side note on that setup. It looks like removing the flex cable for greasing, changing the starting belt and doing a few other things might be a bear to do as the stuffing tube is too close to the collet.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:36 PM
goodtimes

He says its a 12oz tank. Would that be sufficent for now? It seems like he didn't know what he was doing. I dont even know if he mounted the engine the correct spot to balance it out. I will change the flex and push the engine back a little. How far should the collet be from the stuffing tube? How would I balance the boat?

Thanks Ron for all your help.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Ron Olson

When I've built my boats, I like to leave enough gap between the flex cable collet and the stuffing tube to be able to change the starting belt if need be plus figure out the distance needed to loosen the collet to remove the cable so we're looking at a good 1/2" or slightly more. Too much gap can result in cable whip, not a good thing. I've seen cable whip flare the end of a stuffing tube that looked like Elmer Fudd's backfiring shotgun!