Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

k/B 3.5 engine

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

k/B 3.5 engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 06:14 PM
lurch1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k/B 3.5 engine

i need help...i bought a nice hydro with a k/b 3.5 motor it will not idle for the low speed.it has tuned pipe and the carb is located below the muffler.the part that the muffler is mounted to is where the throttle body is.this is a older engine i think.it runs good at full but no idle.also i have no back pressure hose from the pipe to the gas tank.do i need one?
i need to know how to set the needle valve on the carb.any help would be helpful.and any and all info on this engine..Thanks
Old 07-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: k/B 3.5 engine

Where are you guys getting all of these vintage motors at all of a sudden?[sm=confused.gif]
Yes, you need a fuel pressuse line from the tuned pipe.
These engines are really fickle with the exhaust throttle and need to be run rich at the low end.
Why type of hydro is it? An outrigger or scale hydro?
Old 07-30-2005, 08:04 AM
ob nut

The needle should be around 3 1/2 turns out. Hook up the tank pressure line and the low end problem should go away. Remember, these motors are meant to be run wide open, not idle'n around the water. Do you have a tuned pipe or the canister muffler? Either way, the motor needs the tank pressure hooked up.

What brand of fuel are you using? I'd suggest a good brand of fuel meant for boats (Wildcat, Red Max, O'Donnel, Byron, etc). Stay away from those made strickly for air / cars (Powermaster / Cool Power / Trinity). If you use those other brands, add a bit of good castor oil or Klotz to it, around 1 - 2 oz to a gallon.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:04 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: ob nut
What brand of fuel are you using? I'd suggest a good brand of fuel meant for boats (Wildcat, Red Max, O'Donnel, Byron, etc). Stay away from those made strickly for air / cars (Powermaster / Cool Power / Trinity). If you use those other brands, add a bit of good castor oil or Klotz to it, around 1 - 2 oz to a gallon.
The owner of the LHS pi$$ed me off recently. I was hoping to get some 30% fuel to use in my outboard. He had no plane fuel this high, but tried to sell me some car fuel. I passed on his offer. I can understand not stocking something that's not in high demand, but it bugs me that he would try to sell something that was obviously not designed for the use I intended.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:20 AM
ob nut

Chuck, gotta remember, they are salesmen.. [&o] They have to "try" selling what they stock. But I understand fully what you mean.. I want X but they say get Y.. ARRGGGHHHHH.. I'm so happy that Wildcat is within driving distance for me! Get this, my LHS refused to order boat fuel from Wildcat even though they order air and car fuel from them [:@] Ok, how about I get a case then.. NOPE was the answer [:'(] [>:] There is a first time and last time for everything. That was the last time I stepped in that LHS [>:]
Old 07-30-2005, 09:53 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: ob nut

Chuck, gotta remember, they are salesmen.. [&o] They have to "try" selling what they stock. But I understand fully what you mean.. I want X but they say get Y.. ARRGGGHHHHH.. I'm so happy that Wildcat is within driving distance for me! Get this, my LHS refused to order boat fuel from Wildcat even though they order air and car fuel from them [:@] Ok, how about I get a case then.. NOPE was the answer [:'(] [>:] There is a first time and last time for everything. That was the last time I stepped in that LHS [>:]
I know he wants to sell what he's got, but this isn't the typical mall nitwit. I fly with him, and he's got enough experience that he should know better.

The last time I was in there he showed me an OS outboard that someone dropped off to have repaired. The liner has peeled off. He said he had no idea how to run it. I told him to give the owner my name and number when he had the engine back together.