Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Wild Thing

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 05:27 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wild Thing

Cool, mine is sitting in the garage feeling abandoned. The engine is off being "freshened", actually it will come back with Al's full mods. Meanwhile I am learning about paint. I bought a few inexpensive guns, already have the compressor. Once I have that figured out this stuff I will begin work on making it pretty and ready for the races.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:49 PM
skymortar

if you have any questions about paint lemme know,thats what i do
Old 11-03-2005, 07:43 PM
-Inverted-

Good point, yea the winters here are not joyous of heat lol. Ok I think im still gonna go with the wild thing, then although I do like the 1/8 crackerbox on RCBM, it may be cheaper to build I suppose. So do you need calm water for a crackerbox. Yea that hull I said is a chinese hull lol. I guess its not the best quality. Some guy on ebay is selling some nice V hulls but id rather build one than spend 150 just for the hull for my first boat. I am pretty good with my hands so I should be able to make it work. I googled "wild thing plans" and found a site which sells plans to make an actual boat called the wild thing. Its ten foot kind of like a jetski size but a boat, pretty cool I thought.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:03 AM
piper_chuck

A vee hull is definitely better that a crackerbox for rough water. Build the wild thing and then the crackerbox, nothing wrong with more than one boat, plane, car, etc!
Old 11-10-2005, 10:13 AM
piper_chuck

John, yay! Mine build is stalled. The engine is away for service, but unfortunately, Al's been down with pneumonia. It'll end up with Al's full mods. Once it's back I'll get the hardware installed and paint it.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PC, gotta be carefull here, Ron's likely to figure out we're talking about a "GAS" boat and send us off to the other thread. But to heck with convention, I'm loose fitting the bulkheads to the build fixture making sure every thing is in alignment before I put the West Systems to it. The engine (Full Mod M&D 260) and mount (Speed World EZ Mount) are ordered. I'll make my own radio box and turn fin. Rudder and strut will come from Speed Master. IV bag for a tank.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey, I'm not as dumb as I look! I go to the other sites also and knew that Toxic Al was in the hospital and that Chuck had sent his engine to him.
Gee, a thread go off-topic? Naaaaaaah.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Square Nozzle

Ron, it's good to have a sense of humor. Thanks for chiming in. I do have to say that I hope this Whiplash runs as good as my Wild Thing (back on topic) when it first went into the water. It really opened some eyes when I cranked up that MAC 21 and leaned it out (remote mixture - the best thing since sliced bread).
Old 11-10-2005, 01:09 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Hey, I'm not as dumb as I look! I go to the other sites also and knew that Toxic Al was in the hospital and that Chuck had sent his engine to him.
Gee, a thread go off-topic? Naaaaaaah.
I just wish the news of his illness had been posted BEFORE I sent a note asking where my engine was. I felt kind of bad when he responded saying he had pneumonia but that he would get working on my engine ASAP. I replied telling him to concentrate on getting well, and that there's no hurry for the engine. Ron, why don't you build a Whiplash gas sport hydro and then join John and me in the challenge race we've been talking about?

Anyway, getting things back on track, I too am hoping to build a Wild Thing this winter. I have a set of the plans, just keeping my eyes open for the right engine. Right now it's 4th on the building project list.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Square Nozzle

I seem to have that "Building List" problem also. 1/4 scale Tiger Moth, 1/7 scale P6e, Albatros D5a, Whiplash, repaint Kwik Fli, and a Patriot and P39 still in the box that my unfinished T45 and F5 are sitting on. I just gotta retire so I have time to build my planes and boats!
Old 11-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Ron Olson

Usually this time of the year I get started on a project for next season but it looks like this winter I won't have one. I barely got last winters boat in the water this year after being off for the summer with surgery. That little thing called a defibrillator put a damper on me doing much of anything except my web surfing. I need to unload a few boats to make room for another project and I've been looking at trying Gas, maybe a mono at first.
Chuck, the right engine ought to come along. I see a lot of MAC's going up for sale when Andy brings out the new A/A .21 .
Old 11-10-2005, 03:23 PM
piper_chuck

Other than a Wild Thing, I've decided to not invest in any more monos. I've already got the .40 Twincraft. It's not so fast, but it finishes, every time. The engine for the Whiplash actually came out of a gas mono I just wasn't happy with. I had a chance to buy ready to race .60 and gas monos this summer, but passed on both. I'm having way too much fun with tunnels, hydros, and my Sprintcat!

I'm definitely watching for those who have to have the latest and greatest to start unloading some of the .21s they've been stockpiling. Eventually I need 2, I've also got plans for a sport 20 hydro.

Meanwhile, I need to focus on the immediate project, an ARF I'm doing as my first RCU review. After that, the Whiplash is next in line...
Old 11-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Ron Olson

I thought that I'd built enough mono's, from .12's to .45's (I really don't like them larger) and have had several OB tunnels then the Sport 40 that I built last winter. I still have the two .12 riggers but they've been collecting dust this year. My son wanted me to build a Sport 20 for him when he saw Phil's prototype. He'll get one when he can buy it himself!
Old 11-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Square Nozzle

Ron, Brian Blazer has been talking about releasing a Sport 20 kit. Might be worth looking into. I've seen good reports about his Sport 40. The 20 should follow suit.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Ron Olson

I'd like to see some of them race before deciding on which one to get. Joe Weibelhaus has a PT Sport 20 that has been running well up against the 'riggers but Joe knows how to build a boat! Brian races up in my neck of the woods also so I'll get a chance to his his in action. I see that there are more coming out. Steve Muck has one, kind of ugly and a poor choice for a name, Shockwave.
If my kid had a chance, he'd have one boat for every class! He's 18 now so he can get a job and buy his own boats. No more high-dollar toys from Dad.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Macleod

It sounds like you guys have too many boats to play with. I would be quite happy, if you feel the urge to unload some of your EXCESS boats and send them to my place....

Plenty of room DOWNUNDER.

Will have good loving home.........
Old 11-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Square Nozzle

Money talks!
Old 11-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Square Nozzle

Ron, I hear your cry. Just be gratefull that your son enjoys the hobby/sport with you. There will come a time when he's off at school or on his own with his own family and you can look back to the times you enjoyed together. My son is married and never had an interest in Dad's activities. Possibly because I tend to be a perfectionist and that turned him off. But then my wife doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to hold onto, so that probably got into his gene's.