Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

engine help

Old 11-07-2005, 07:43 PM
BKS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine help

I am having a problem with keeping my mortor from starting up and going to full throttle. How do i stop this from Happening?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:29 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: engine help

Is this a trick question ? Your engine has a throttle, use it...A few clicks above idle is enough to start it...Always have a helper on hand to hold the plane...
Old 11-07-2005, 09:36 PM
BKS

LOL it is not a plane it is a rc boat that run on nitro blend
Old 11-07-2005, 09:52 PM
BKS

is the gas suppose to leak from the sides on the cylendaer?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:05 PM

Glow engine experts I have bought several engines on ebay and I"m wondering what you can tell just turning the crank. I bought Magnum 180 xl (used) and at first I thought it had a loose con rod but I belive its vertical slot the ring is in I can see and fell the ring move up and down. I've never seen one move this much! Anyone know how much is acceptable? Compression feels good. but can you really tell by just turning the crank?
I have Moki (new) 180 that does it to ,but can hardlybe felt. I have also bought some Super Tigers and they are fine.
I would really like to know what can tell with out runing an engine, other than I"t new
Its old.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi BKS,

You might want to check to see if the throttle servo is moving in the right direction. You may need to use the servo reverse switch. Be sure to recheck the travel of the carburetor to make sure you have full movement without stalling the servo. You should also make sure your carburetor is closing fully. There should only be a small opening with the barrel closed or the butterfly valve nearly shut (which ever is applicable). If not you will need to adjust the idle stop.

Be aware that if you running a direct drive between the engine and propshaft, the idle will have to be fast enough so that when you put the boat into the water, the engine wont stall. Some guys will actually pitch the boat into the water to keep the engine from stalling. If the boat is big or you are just begining you might want to go with a clutch on your engine so you dont have to idle it so high. You might want to try the boating forum elsewhere here for more help.

There should not be fuel leaking from around the base of the cylinder. You may have a loose cylinder or a blown cylinder base gasket if one is used.

Good luck
Carlos G
Old 11-09-2005, 12:55 AM
My Feedback: (45)

Hi BKS,

You may want to ask a moderator to move your post to a more relevant forum. This is the "gasoline" engine forum. If you put the thread in the glow/boat engine forum, you'll likely get a lot more responses.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:01 AM

ORIGINAL: macflyer

Glow engine experts I have bought several engines on ebay and I"m wondering what you can tell just turning the crank. I bought Magnum 180 xl (used) and at first I thought it had a loose con rod but I belive its vertical slot the ring is in I can see and fell the ring move up and down. I've never seen one move this much! Anyone know how much is acceptable? Compression feels good. but can you really tell by just turning the crank?
I have Moki (new) 180 that does it to ,but can hardlybe felt. I have also bought some Super Tigers and they are fine.
I would really like to know what can tell with out runing an engine, other than I"t new
Its old.
Hi macflyer,

Welcome to you and BKS to RCU. As an FYI, when you want to drastically change the subject of a thread, you need to start your own new thread in the appropriate forum. You can do that by clicking on the "NEW POST" button when you're in the forum you want to post to. When you change the subject by asking a new question in an existing thread, it is called hijacking the thread....and people tend not to be too happy about it....don't worry about it when you're new though, you're going to make mistakes. Have fun.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:59 AM
BKS

i am new to this rc boat and i do not want to do something wrong trying to get my boat running properly.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:20 PM

Hi BKS,

Since you don't seem to understand about this question being in the wrong forum, I have asked a moderator to move it where you will probably get a lot more help. I would suggest if you want help with your R/C boat that you look in the R/C Boat forums located here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/default.asp?forumid=229
Old 11-12-2005, 08:03 PM

Look up at the top of this page. You will find we are in the nitro section now.
You must be trapped in gasoline heaven, too many fumes HA HA HA!!!

Regards Brett.

ORIGINAL: bpryor

Hi BKS,

You may want to ask a moderator to move your post to a more relevant forum. This is the "gasoline" engine forum. If you put the thread in the glow/boat engine forum, you'll likely get a lot more responses.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:09 PM

Hi Bill, do you wear glasses?
Put them on and you will see we are in the nitro forum. Do you want to discourage and confuse.
ORIGINAL: bpryor

Hi BKS,

Since you don't seem to understand about this question being in the wrong forum, I have asked a moderator to move it where you will probably get a lot more help. I would suggest if you want help with your R/C boat that you look in the R/C Boat forums located here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/default.asp?forumid=229
Old 11-12-2005, 10:03 PM
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: BKS

I am having a problem with keeping my mortor from starting up and going to full throttle. How do i stop this from Happening?
Wow, Livermore Cali, home of Airborne Models, the exclusive importers of World Models ARFs!!!

Anyway, welcome to the nitro boat forum. Looks like your thread took a while to get here. Since boat engines have very little load on them, they should be started with the carb almost all the way closed. It's possible you have the carb open too much. It's also possible that you have the needle valve set too lean. When the needle is in the right ball park, the engine will seem like it's way too rich. This is ok, it will run better when the boat is in the water and the engine has some work to do. It's a bit of a juggling act to keep the engine fast enough to have it not stall, but not so high that it damages itself. If the engine revs well while it's out of water, in all likelyhood, you have the needle too lean.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:46 AM

ORIGINAL: brettos01

Hi Bill, do you wear glasses?
Put them on and you will see we are in the nitro forum. Do you want to discourage and confuse.

Boy, you are a sharp one, aren't you. Did it by chance occur to you that the last post of mine was made before the thread was moved...DUH! I had the moderator move it after I made that post. If you read my posts you'd see I was just trying to help the guy out, how about you?
Old 11-13-2005, 03:31 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PC has it right. You are probably to lean on the high speed mixture. Also, I suspect you are trying to adjust the mixture on the beach. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!! The engine has to sound rich at idle on the beach and that is where the throttle should stay, at IDLE. Adjusting the mixture is a trial and error process with the boat running under power in the water. Unless you know Nitro ENGINES, that run on Fuel (not "gas") it may be a frustrating task but the engine has to be under a load to adjust the mixture correctly. If anyone tells you differently, I suggest you turn and walk away.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:09 PM
My Feedback: (12)

I forgot to mention what John just added. The reason for his strong words is running up an engine on the beach is a sure fire way to throw a rod. Some people may say "that's never happened to me", but I can say it has happened to me. I let someone do it with one of my engines years ago, even though I thought it was a bad idea. It survived the tuning, but the engine threw the rod 3/4 of the way around the course.