Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Q About Shockwave36 RTR

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Q About Shockwave36 RTR

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Mattx878

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q About Shockwave36 RTR

I'm going to buy one of these for my father for x-mas

I know I need to buy a glow plug and fule, do i need anything else?

I read that i should get blue thunder 20 for fule, is this correct?

And what should i get for a glow plug?

TY

Old 12-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Q About Shockwave36 RTR

You're going to need a glow ignitor along with some spare glow plugs. I wouldn't use Blue Thunder as their oil content isn't high enough for nitro boats. Try to find fuel with the highest oil content that you can find, preferably in the 18-20% range.
Hopefully you'll get one of the newer boats that comes with a spare flex cable made by Prather. If it does, install that one right away instead of using the stock one.
For spare plugs, if you're going to run low nitro, try McCoy MC-59's although MC-9's will work.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:07 AM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

The manual for the SW36 states that the best plug for performance and longevity is the O'donnel racing DYN2521. For low nitro anyway. MC-59's work well too, and to be honest I cannot tell a differance in the 2 plugs. I use WildCat Eliminator 20% nitro / 18% oil.

Like they said about the flex shaft, unless it comes with a parther, it will break. Get one.

I suppose 30% nitro would give you more lowend, maybe someone can chime in and let us know if there is a top end advantage to 30% nitro fuel.

CHEERS!
Old 12-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Mattx878

Thx for all that info guys

Is there a certain ignitor you can suggest?

I couldnt find a place to buy the wildcat fule in bulk or atleast in gallons, only quarts
So i'm gonna try to find a different type to use

Any ideas would be great, ty
Old 12-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Mattx878

I just found that towerhobbies sells wildcat, and in bulk

They also offer it in Plus, and that has 18% oil so it looks like i'll go with that

For the ignitor I'm gonna go with one made by towerhobbies

I just need to find a good failsafe for the SW36

My dads a major RC noob and would total the boat in minutes without one

any suggestions for a good one wouldbe great
TY
Old 12-02-2005, 08:46 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Venom makes some nice inexpensive fail safes. Look for one at tower. The tower glow plug ignitor should work great, I had one that I used on the SW36 for a long time and it worked well. As far as fuel goes, just try to make sure it's name brand fuel, and get some O'donnel plugs and you will be set. Now that I think about it seems like the O'donnel plugs last longer then the MC-59's do.........IMO.

I cannot recomend a brand of fuel as I do now know of many. I use the WCE 20/18 in my boat and trinity Purple monster 20/12 in my trucks and cars.

Just make sure it's 20% nitro and ATLEAST 18% oil and you should be fine......It's a pretty nice boat, he should love it. 30MPH out of the box is easily obtainable. Some even see 35.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

With Dad being a Newb, a failsafe isn't going to help him much as they are made for loss of transmitter signal, like if the TX batteries go dead or fall out.
Just about any glow ignitor will do the job. They have some that come with a Ni-Cad battery and charger, some that use alkalines and some that can use both. You only need one for a short reach as they won't fall off as easily.
Read the "Unofficial Shockwave 36" thread, it will give you lots of help. It might be a few pages back or do a search on this site to find everything posted about that boat.