Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

out rigger question

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

out rigger question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 07:02 PM
clegen3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default out rigger question

i am thinking about buying this DUMAS LIL RASCAL OUT RIGGER. can someone give me the pro's and con's of an out rigger vs. a hydro. BTW, the hydro is the notoriously crappy dolphin hydro that has outrageous claims. the reason for me asking is i bought the dolphin, but UPS lost it and if its not delivered/found in 5 days, i get to tell my seller whether i want the boat or my money back. Also i'm open to purchasing a different nitro than the two, but i want to keep the price under $250, and i want the speed to be atleast 30mph
Thanks a bunch,
Corey
Old 12-07-2005, 07:48 PM
clegen3

Default RE: out rigger question

I was also looking at the Traxxas Vitro Vee. i am a beginer boater, thanks again
Old 12-08-2005, 01:24 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

For a beginner, the Lil Rascal isn't for you as any other outrigger hydro. The Lil Rascal is a way outdated design, being well over 20+ years old. Those who have tried to get one going with newer engines and hardware are still wrestling with them. 'Riggers are cool but wait a while to get some experience under your belt, they are more complex than they look like at first glance.
$250.00 and an honest 30 MPH is going to be hard to find with emphasis on honest. The Hobbico/Aquacraft Nitro Hammer will get you close.

Don't get me going on that Dolphin boat as their claims are way over the top. You'll maybe get what you pay for but don't expect 60-65 MPH out of it.
I'll tell you what, and those that are selling them. If the boat can hit their advertised claim of 60-65 MPH, I will pay $1,000.00 for one. This will be tested on an IMPBA sanctioned straightaway course and have some of the best boaters around in assisting me. If any of their dealers would like to take me up on the challenge, here I am. I'll even make it sweeter. If it will do 50 MPH, I will still pay them the Grand.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:06 PM
clegen3

Thanks Ron,
I have decided to either buy a used miss bud ($230) or i think most probably i will build my own. i am undecided b/c i bought a starter kit and a gallon of 25% nitro. i am concidering buildin a boat for a 15 or 18 size nitro. if you have any suggestions or links, i would appreciate is. thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Ron Olson

Before making a decision, take a look around in the site plus do a search for whatever boat that you might be interested in. It's likely that you'll find something pertaining to just about every popular boat.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:46 PM
philp

I have plans to w3bby's boat that he sent me. i really like its lines and its style. i have a 60cc chainsaw engine that i want to put in it (48"). This is clegen3 on a friends account
Old 12-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Ron Olson

OK-------------, make sure that the chainsaw engine is rotating the right way first.