Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

The unofficial Home of all that is Nitro Vee...

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

The unofficial Home of all that is Nitro Vee...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:36 PM
jimbat10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The unofficial Home of all that is Nitro Vee...

I've gotten a couple questions about trim tabs. First I got the anodized alum. trim tab spin fin combo part #trt-2 from offshoreelectrics, on page 12 of this thread I explained how to make them work. The regular alum. tab/fin combo will be just as good part #94472 for$4.95 however I advise against stainless tabs,they are to heavy. I don't remember where, but I seen spec's for a 31 inch vee hual the spin fin should be .875 from bottom of haul,mine are 1.125 from bottom.---I haven't had her out lately,it flooded here early in the month and the water is just starting to clear up.I plan on doing some runs this weekend.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:23 PM
icewake

vertical would i be able to use the stock clutch bell on the non marine 2.5? also could i use the 2.5 pipe that came on the boat when i bought it?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:41 PM
icewake

here is what i plan on buying please see to make sure this is everything
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=WR&I=LXDDR6
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJMJ2&P=0
http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-TRX-2-5-...QQcmdZViewItem or can i just go with this one http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-TRX-REVO...QQcmdZViewItem

the only difference is there is that one extra piece that hooks up to the clutch. please advise, thanks
Old 07-26-2006, 08:52 PM
BlueMonster
My Feedback: (1)

Between those two engines, and depending on what they sellfor, try to get the one with the flywheel. You are going to have to buy new whatever the engine is missing anyway.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:54 PM
icewake

that would be this one, right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-TRX-2-5-...QQcmdZViewItem

and the 2 other parts are the only ones i will need, correct?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:01 PM
BlueMonster

That's the one I would get. 3D mentioned something about swapping in a 3 pc crank or something, so I'd wait for his response on the engine. If you change the crank to one more suited to the engine, you may not need that flywheelanyway. Personally, I'd grind on that included clutch bell to fit the Vee and be done with it. You will also need the throttle linkage, but you'll have to make it from wire, sinse the Trazxxas parts are not going to be the same size. You need some threaded rod, some ball caps, etc, whatever you need to make all the linkage connections.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:18 AM
BlueMonster

Well, I just ordered the shaft kit and a trim/tab combo from offshoreelectrics, but they are out of stock on the Octura props. With the shaft kit, what CF prop would be close to an X442?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:16 AM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Ok heres why I say to use the traxxas 2.5 marine engine, because most 2.5s in cars unless put there by someone who didnt order the recomended setup will have the IPS crank, whearas the clutch for a nitro-vee either uses the long or short threaded shaft, the marine engine has this already to convert an IPS motor to the mutli-piese crank youd have to order that crank set from tower, which till you by that the head and run the risk of a bum engine on ebay, which if its worn it will need about 60 bucks for the piston/sleeve set. which would suck, so the marine engine isnt real expensive, also a macs 2.5cc pipe would be right for the motor, a modded or even stock t-maxx header would work, and get a set of CVEC exhaust couplers, they are about indestructable.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:40 PM
jimbat10

I too looked for a clear lexan inner hull shield, I could never find a part number or part itself. If you buy a new hull, it comes with it,and thats the only way I could get one.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:13 PM
BlueMonster

I was afraid of that. I guess I'll try and repair mine...
Old 07-28-2006, 12:12 AM
bookboy22

ORIGINAL: icewake

can someone post a list of everything needed to change up to the 2.5 that book is running? could i just buy the regular 2.5 and put a water cooled head on it? thanks.
Hi icewake,

Just look at all my post on this thread, and it's all there from begining until completion. I'm still looking for that traxas marine header though. The stock tmaxx 2.5 header is still working in the mean time. Just buy the marine trx 2.5. It fits right in. Let me know if you need help. My vee 2.5 is still running great at the pond. The only problem is that I've been flying my two rc planes way more this summer. Have a Goldberg ultimate biplane and a P51. What a hobby the planes are. Totally amazing. I'm instructing student pilots
this year.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:30 AM
BlueMonster

I dropped some cash at the LHS today. Got a new fuel tank and some olite bushings. Also picked a bunch of odds and ends to complete my throttle linkage. I installed an aluminum stand-up under the rear of the canopy to attch the rear of the canopy. I installed a battery pack as well. I am getting an RPM receiver box, which can be easily waterproofed. All I need is my Macs pipe (which I ordered today) and a prop selection. I am stocked, can't wait to get this thing on the water and get a feel for driving a boat.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:26 AM
icewake

the only reason i am not going to the 2.5 marine is becuase i want to save some money and it looks like ill be able to do that by buying a 2.5r and putting a cooling head on it
Old 07-29-2006, 03:17 PM
BlueMonster

I received my package from offshoreelectrics today. I have some questions on the parts I ordered.

I bought the Octura prop shaft that was listed for the Vee. Does someone have a pic of it mounted? It looks like I at least have o grind a flat spot on the end for the set screw to lock on. Is that all that's needed to install this?

I also got the Kyosho trim tab/spin fin combo. It would make sense to me that the trim tab would be mounted even with the bottom of the hull, and the spin fin is perpendicular, right? For that to be possible with these parts, I'd have to bend the spin fins to the right angle, which is fine, I just want to be sure before I go bending new parts.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:19 PM
BlueMonster

I also noticed that in order to mount the trim/spin combo, I won't be able to utilize the stock water intake tube mount. What are you guys doing to mount the intake tubes?
Old 07-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Vertical3-D

the fin and tab are 90 degrees from each other, the fin should be 90 degrees from the hull bottom on that side, as it is a vee hull, the tab should be flat with the hull bottom, I dunno how wide they are but they go out at the end of the hull, not in twords the center, look in the nitro hammer thread there should be a pic of some in there as they are stock on those boats, and yes you have to grind a flat spots as the instructions that come with it say to do, and then if you want to ditch the piece of tubing cut just enough off the threads, put on the one silver nut to hold the prop then use the bullet nut as a lock nut, everyone was loosing nuts probablly cuz they used just one nut if you use a nut then lock it with the bullet nut no more worries, maybe check it every couple runs but I never had a problem, thats another reason I like CF props it further locks the nuts on the shaft, cuz the nut can dig into the prop a bit...
Old 07-29-2006, 05:09 PM
BlueMonster

Okay cool, that's what I did, but none of my stuff came with any instructions! I just looked at what had to happen with the shaft and made it work. With the tabs'fins, I went through the pics section and found a pic that showed what I needed, and got them installed as well.

I also cut off the topof my 3.3 head in preperation for a water cooled addition, I just need to find one now! All I need is my pipe, which was ordered at my LHS, and a prop or two.

You guys were right, offshore ships fast, I am very impressed with them!
Old 07-30-2006, 04:50 AM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER
My Feedback: (4)

got back out to lake 2 nights ago... awesome run!!!!![8D]here is what i have found....i returned the water out to the exhaust. alot cooler and wont melt my transom. also i changed the spouts from over the carb to the side . instead of over the carb. i also made my water pickup a bit bigger and longer. bent it under the boat towards the front at a 45 degree angle. works great now....also like i siad put on a ramair hoodscoop to increase flow to carb.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:35 AM
BlueMonster

Can you post pics of the changes? I am at the point of setting up the water right now, thatwould be handy!
Old 07-30-2006, 01:06 PM
BlueMonster

Here are some pics of last nights' progress.

I cut the top of the 3.3 aircooled head so I can mount a watercooled head to the top of it.

Installed my trim fins

Installed my new prop shaft

Installed new water inlet and custom bracket

Modified the engine mount plate to clear the flywheel which was contacting just enough to lock up the engine!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15847.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	499162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23335.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	499163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71351.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	499164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39761.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	499165  
Old 07-30-2006, 04:36 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

will post pics after i get them off the camera
Old 07-30-2006, 05:14 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

here is what i have redone..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18471.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	499289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47516.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	499290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31343.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	499291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng10072.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	499292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn79141.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	499293  
Old 07-30-2006, 06:18 PM
BlueMonster

In your last pic, your water intake is hugging the transom and just barely below the bottom of the hull. Now, you've run like this, is that the way to do it? I ended up, because of the fin combo I installed, basically hanging my intake tube out behind the boat about 1.5", and further below the bottom than you did. Will my setup still work okay? I imagine it will be fine, but this boat, in it's currwnt configuration, has never seen water...
Old 07-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Vertical3-D

your setup is fine, actually closer to what is on some raceboats then on rtrs, but a pretty sharp angle on it to make the opening bigger so water impacting the tube will be forced up, your looked fine though, first run make a pass on plane but not so fast as to not see if theres water exiting, its another great reason for having the exit on the side, once my boat was painted you couldnt even see the exit while it was on the water, just a stream out the side, about 4-6 inches at least is what it should be, and temp it a few times in the first run...I was at the local r/c boat races today, what an awesome thing to see, all gas in this crowd, so I am keeping my 48 inch crackerbox, it will be fully modded by toxic marine. hopefully by the end of the month so I can race a bit, I am also thinking of starting a club when I get home to PA(jimbat10 maybe youd be interested in putting something together also) something were we could hold a heat racing day once a month or so, do it right through NAMBA if possible, Id def. want a gasser class for the crackers and also wanna push the new idea thats starting which is a rtr class, 0-.18 engines in one, .19-anything, in the other, or all at once, jimbat10s vee would probablly smoke a shockwave or thundercat, or seperate it as vees, and hydros, then Id pick up a miss vegas, and I believe jimbat10 had said he has a miss bud, or two? anyway could be some fun, I dont thing we have a club in central PA...gassers are huge here though, went there trying to sell the boat, decided to keep it and dump cash in it no less...50mph here I come...
Old 07-30-2006, 10:55 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

i made my water intake longer and bent it in towards the front of the boat for more water in... thats why it looks short. the way you have yours is the same way i had mine untill it wasnt picking up water. then i made mine longer and bent it towards front of boat. it still hugs the transom .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.