Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

The unofficial Home of all that is Nitro Vee...

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

The unofficial Home of all that is Nitro Vee...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 04:21 AM
cwaterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The unofficial Home of all that is Nitro Vee...

yes it stayed bow up.. the prop shaft came off and the tube oblonged the hole in the stearn,,well it gives me a reason to work on the new full lol,, i also ordered a super vee 27..and iam working on a 2.5 for the vee. wating for the multy peice crank to get off back order bob i think you have a sv27 as well seen you on the thread,, would love to get the 2.5 nv and the sv27 running side by side,,would be fun also working on the zippkits v box,,so iam trying to stay busy,, lol and damn vids still wont upload,,,
Old 06-24-2007, 09:40 AM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sacrifice a chicken to the video gods and see if that works...[:-], if not, then you can always have it for lunch..LOL,No, I don't have a NSV (yet),I can't justify its purchase with all my other projects goin on,but I will suggest this for you,that oblonged hole you mentioned would help in the adjustment of a new speedmaster stinger for your NV....,I'm seriously thinking of selling my miss vegas to help fund the NSV,I just like the idea of bein allowed to run in any water/weather conditions and really don't need a small hydro,I've just about finished my 1/8 Miss Bud w/mm260......that should satisfy that "hydro thing"........
Old 06-24-2007, 09:57 AM
cwaterhunter

hi bob well the svn is on order from tower,,just got a ele boat on E-Bay so if it or the V-BOX dies.. also got a 2 man ait raft,,,
Old 06-24-2007, 10:06 AM
mopartybob

I got an elec. also for retrieval,had to change radio set-up as range was limited but works like a charm now, looking forward to hearing how your NSV works out,i've been following that thread to see what issues arise and it looks like the only main thing is the radio box bein made of sub-standard plastic......hhhmmmmmmm....consider makin a new one ...ASAP.....[:-]
Old 06-24-2007, 01:39 PM
cwaterhunter

ORIGINAL: mopartybob

I got an elec. also for retrieval,had to change radio set-up as range was limited but works like a charm now, looking forward to hearing how your NSV works out,i've been following that thread to see what issues arise and it looks like the only main thing is the radio box bein made of sub-standard plastic......hhhmmmmmmm....consider makin a new one ...ASAP.....[:-]
i happen to have a fiberglass one that might fit in her...or i have plenty of wood levt over from the V-BOX,, could always make a wood ine and seal the wood,,, and use a plexy cover,,gonna do that to the V-BOX as well....
Old 06-29-2007, 09:07 PM
bookboy22

Thank god summer is back and the pond water is warm. I'm amazed at 49 pages. My 2.5Vee is still kicking ass. Keep it going!!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:24 AM
kountryboy

Got some vid of the speed vee finally. For an update it now has a trx 3.3 in it. Im getting a gps pretty soon it seems to be zipping around the little pond pretty good. It isint a stock nitro vee anymore thats for sure. http://media.putfile.com/Boat-96
Old 07-05-2007, 05:26 AM
cwaterhunter

looks good !!!!! mine took a back seat to my SV27for the time ,, what i wanna do is do my NV with a 2.5,, run them side by side would be fun iam waiting for the multy piece grank to get back in stock with traxxas then start working on it agian, i havent even worked on mt V-BOX..after the surgery i kinds got tired of working on things for a while,, thats wht i got the super vee,,a rtr..and its pretty fast as well.. waster than the stack NV and also fiber glass,, and cheaper lol,, hows everyones elses boats doing? lets keep this thread alive,,,,
Old 07-05-2007, 10:35 AM
mopartybob

hey guyz,still workin on some other projects,so yea the vee is on the shelf,your vee looks to be a great runner kountryboy,handles well too...,post some pics of your set-up for inspiration,....
Old 07-05-2007, 03:50 PM
kountryboy

Here is my running set up for all you veer's. I need the power of the 3.3 just to push the thing through the water with all the hardware Ive got on the back of it. Its getting close to time to retire the lil vee though. The added power plus compression of the 2.5 and 3.3 have put a hurting on the hull. The mounts that the motor plate screws to are ripping out of the hull. Im wanting to replace it with a fiberglass boat. What would be a good one? I wouldnt care if it was a little smaller as long as it is faster or just as fast as the nitro vee hull is. http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5895458
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5895459
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5895460
This one is my stuffing tube holder that I made out of a sheet of alumnium. I drilled holes in the bottom and used self tapping screws to hold it in place.
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5895461
Old 07-06-2007, 09:30 AM
av8torjim

Well I finally got back to the beach and got the Vee in the water. It runs great, for about 5 minutes. I run about full out for 1/3 of a tank or so and then the engine just quits. No sputtering, no bogging down, it just quits while running wide open. I'm blowing a lot of smoke so I believe I'm running richer than I need to. I richened it anyway and it still quits. It's peeing fine and has the oversized cooling lines, etc. It starts right up after I bring it back in. Any ideas?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:55 AM
mopartybob

Welcome back jim,could be too rich or too lean,but it sounds like your still too rich,killing the glow on your plug,lean both needles 1/8 turn only,if it still does it,then lean(only) the high speed 1/8 until resolved,if you feel it's too lean,(I don't know what your current needle settings are) reset them to where you had them and change glow plug and start process again...you might want to check your fuel tank/lines and cap for a possible crack or leak also which would'nt allow exhaust pressure to build up and aid in fuel delivery causing a lean out condition,let us know what happens...
Old 07-06-2007, 12:44 PM
av8torjim

Thanks Bob. I was in a hurry when I left the first message and left some details out. I suspect it's overheating, but am not sure. Before I posted the problem, I pulled the men out of the cockpit to let more cooling air in, changed the plug to a hotter plug and tried leaning both the LSN and HSN. I was getting a little bogging moving from low to high speed if it sat for more than 10 or 15 seconds at idle, so I leaned both needles. The pinch test seems to indicate that the LSN is set correctly. When I lean the HSN, it cuts the smoke a little and revs higher, but it becomes almost impossible to start, particularly when it's hot. Very frustrating. I've been playing with nitro cars lately and think I've got my touch back at tuning nitro engines. My 1/10 stadium truck engine (OPS .12) will idle forever and not quit. I can turn the car upside down and it won't quit. It used to die in 10 seconds if I flipped it. It's a used boat, so I suppose the engine could be run out since this only happens when it gets really hot. It's really strange to me that it just quits after a few minutes of WOT. I don't think there are any fuel system issues (leasks, air leaks, clogging, etc.). I'll keep trying to tune it and will report any progress.

Jim
Old 07-06-2007, 01:49 PM
mopartybob

I was goin with the too rich scenario cuz you stated that even after you richened it up it still dood it, whenever you make these adj. do so in the water,as any adj. on land will be too lean,if running well on the water but still hard to start when hot,try opening the throttle with the Tx while crankin it to let more air in.......[8D]
Old 07-06-2007, 08:13 PM
av8torjim

Well, leaning the HSN a little made it run great for a few minutes. I had also adjusted the drive angle and it's really planing nicely. But, it's still cutting out. The only thing I've learned is that there appear to be air bubbles in the fuel line. That may explain why it cuts out. I'm still confused why it doesn't sputter or appear to bog down before it cuts out. I'll be running WOT and the engine is screaming and it just quits. It's not like a too lean situation. It just quits. Very frustrating. I'm also taking on a lot of water. I need to seal the holes in the transom. Does water come in around the prop shaft? Is there a seal there? Thanks!

Jim
Old 07-06-2007, 11:41 PM
mopartybob

yup,there's a seal (rubber grommet)around the prop shaft,but because it's a double hull(inner/outer)it would be wise to seal with silicone on both sides,as for it cutting out....change the plug (again) if you have'nt done so and keep making adj. in 1/8 increments.....what fuel are you using?.....
Old 07-07-2007, 05:46 PM
av8torjim

Well I'm making progress. It was too lean. You can't judge an engine by its smoke. I kept richening a little at a time and eventually got almost a 10 minute run. It still cut out suddenly in the end, which I suspect is due to overheating. I also changed my fuel line. It had a brass tube splice in it so I put a fresh line on it and it seemed to help some. I also changed the plug to a new OS #8 I use in my nitro cars. I'm running Wildcat Premium 15% nitro fuel. It's 16% oil (80% synthetic and 20% caster). I got three runs of well over five minutes, so I'm getting there. It seems to run better and longer when I leave the top off. It gets really squirrely when I'm running WOT. It's definitely picked up speed. Thanks for the help Bob!

Jim
Old 07-08-2007, 05:57 AM
cwaterhunter

heyguys, i ordered the multy piece crank from tower,, already had the water head..so it starting to get there... slowley lol.. been havinf fun with the sv47 if i cant find someone to run the nv with me in the sv,, ill just have to GPS them,,sill aint the same theo lol
Old 07-08-2007, 01:51 PM
3zz

Anyone know where to get direct fit replacement flanged(preferably) bearings to replace the oilite bushings in the strut and in the shaft tube?-that will fit right in without drilling/filing etc.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:40 PM
cwaterhunter

ORIGINAL: 3zz

Anyone know where to get direct fit replacement flanged(preferably) bearings to replace the oilite bushings in the strut and in the shaft tube?-that will fit right in without drilling/filing etc.
tower has them,, duratrax flanged 4x7 mm and 5x7 mm
Old 07-08-2007, 09:04 PM
av8torjim

I may have done it now. After a great 5 minute plus run, it shut down suddenly as normal. My wife and son were coming in on the jet ski and the boat was about 50 yards from the dock, so I asked them to bring it in. My wife dunked the rear end picking up the boat and got the electronics wet (yes, the receiver is wrapped in a balloon). In any event, the electronics shut down so I was done for the day. This morning I was cleaning the boat and went to put after run oil in. I couldn't turn the engine over by hand, even with the glow plug out. I think it seized. I'll tear it down later this week and find out. May be time for a new piston and sleeve. At least Tower still sells parts for the Pro .15!

Jim
Old 07-08-2007, 09:52 PM
mopartybob

bummer deal jim,....[:@]
Old 07-08-2007, 10:10 PM
3zz

thks water will go to tower
Old 07-08-2007, 10:27 PM
kountryboy

May wanna try this while you have it apart. I did this to one of my original tmaxx trucks and that lil .15 will scream after these mods...... http://www.nitrorc.com/mods/engines/trx15mod.html
Old 07-11-2007, 08:31 AM
mvigod
Banned

test post only..please ignore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.