Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Help Please (stalling)

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Help Please (stalling)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 10:41 PM
waveshark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please (stalling)

i currently own my first rc boat a waveshark with an .18 engine. my problem is i can't get onto plane very well. the boat will totally stall in the water and a stream of water will spout upwards as indicated by red in the picture. If i accelerate slowly and get onto plane the boat runs really well. at first i thought it was cavitation but what is with the spout of water when it stalls in the water. Is my prop too close to the surface? any help please
P.S sorry about the paint job.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73920.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	394814  
Old 01-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Help Please (stalling)

Have you tried adjusting the carb a little richer? The engines are preset at the factory but still need to be adjusted for where you live.
If you're running the stock prop, they throw a lot of water upwards as in a roostertail but don't have a lot of speed.
Why you are getting the stream of water upwards once it stops has got me stumped. Are you saying that the engine is still running when it is tossing the water? That's cavitation. Try giving the boat a toss level to the water when launching to see if that helps at all.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:37 AM
brettos01

Show pictures of your boat if you can, ie: from the rear, top view and bottom view + engine bay!

These things help to find an answer to your problem.

Regards Brettos.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:45 AM
waveshark

i will try richening it up a little. and yes when it bogs the engine still runs i will be accelerating away perfectly and all of a sudden the boat will stop and the engine will revv and thats when the tream of water comes. i am still running stock prop do you have any suggestion as to a good prop for the waveshark?. i will post some pics of the boat tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the engine stops and the boat still has some forward momentum, the stopped propeller blade will deflect water. The same will happen when the speed of the boat exceeds the thrust of the propeller. The spinning propeller is essentially being dragged through the water and is pushing water forward and outward as if it were a disk rather than a propeller. What you are seeing is not unusual. I see this alot when boat return to shore following a race. The boat has forward speed and the engine is shutting down. That's when you see a spurt of water come up at the transom.
Richen the high speed needle as Ron suggested. Sounds like you are lean. Your symptoms are common for a lean mixture - not enough fuel to get the engine through the load zone and onto plane. Once on plane and the engine is unloaded the mixture is sufficient to sustain running.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Ron Olson

Your boat should be able to take the Octura props from X-437 to X-440. I found that the X-637 worked well for me.
It could be the prop cavitating as probably what it happening is that the prop is grabbing both air and water. CEN Racing shares many parts that Kyosho does and one of them is the prop.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:45 PM
waveshark

Thanks Guys for your help i will try richening it today and also will get that X-637 prop where is the best place to get that prop on the net?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:09 AM
Ron Olson

I had one website for a hobby shop that might carry it in Oz but lost it. www.fastelectrics.com carries Graupner props but maybe e-mail him to see if they carry any Octura's.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:42 AM
waveshark

will do thanks again Ron