Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

clutch for nitro boat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

clutch for nitro boat

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:41 PM
20prcnt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f16man
I am trying to grasp the concept of using a clutch in a boat????????????but I can not think of one good reason,,, fill me in please!!!

i always wanted to build a drag boat..so from dead stop to full out straight race..with a air cooled head.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:42 AM
ronbo85

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by visiontech4x4
I make these units on my lathe. They are made from 6061 aircraft aluminum and quality bearings. They come if different sizes for different motors and can be made to custom fit your application. The clutch shoe is made of a high strength neoprene rubber and is designed in a way that you can tune it to engage at the RPM that you want. The unit shown is on my cmb .67 which is to be installed on my dumas Miss Circus Circus build. I am currently offering this unit for $100 each. Additional clutch shoes are $15.00 each. I feel that this is a very reasonable price as the materials to make cost me about $25.00 per unit and about 8-10hrs to manufacture and test before shipping. If anyone is interested please reply. Again these can be custom made to fit your application.
hi, are you still mfg these clutch kits? Thank you
The following users liked this post:
CueBall7166 (09-09-2020)
Old 12-11-2018, 06:34 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by visiontech4x4
I make these units on my lathe. They are made from 6061 aircraft aluminum and quality bearings. They come if different sizes for different motors and can be made to custom fit your application. The clutch shoe is made of a high strength neoprene rubber and is designed in a way that you can tune it to engage at the RPM that you want. The unit shown is on my cmb .67 which is to be installed on my dumas Miss Circus Circus build. I am currently offering this unit for $100 each. Additional clutch shoes are $15.00 each. I feel that this is a very reasonable price as the materials to make cost me about $25.00 per unit and about 8-10hrs to manufacture and test before shipping. If anyone is interested please reply. Again these can be custom made to fit your application.
Do you plan on racing your Circus? I know the Dumas boats are made heavy and, when you add the extra weight of your clutch, I can't see it being able to compete with lighter boats. The other issue I would have is if you try to do a trolling start, like many do in the northwest, you would have to be on and off the throttle just to keep up headway
Old 12-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 20prcnt
i always wanted to build a drag boat..so from dead stop to full out straight race..with a air cooled head.
If you want to build one like the real ones with the engine mounted in the rear, you would need a V drive .A guy who's screen name is 2speed on Model Gas Boats MGB Home and maybe other forums makes V drive gearboxes to use with either electric,nitro or gasoline engines. These are custom made for your setup.His email is [email protected]

Last edited by Tidnab; 12-14-2018 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added email
Old 12-15-2018, 06:04 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidnab

If you want to build one like the real ones with the engine mounted in the rear, you would need a V drive .A guy who's screen name is 2speed on Model Gas Boats MGB Home and maybe other forums makes V drive gearboxes to use with either electric,nitro or gasoline engines. These are custom made for your setup.His email is [email protected]
The only issue with using a "V" drive is that, depending on the rules you race under, it's illegal to use any kind of gear drive. I know they use gear drives in Europe and, due to that, actually manufacture engines with a gear drives. In the US, however, I don't know of anyplace that run a gear drive set up
Old 12-15-2018, 11:20 AM
Tidnab

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
The only issue with using a "V" drive is that, depending on the rules you race under, it's illegal to use any kind of gear drive. I know they use gear drives in Europe and, due to that, actually manufacture engines with a gear drives. In the US, however, I don't know of anyplace that run a gear drive set up
I thought that if you're building something to scale the V drive in front of the rear mounted engine would be allowed as in the rear engine drag boats ,especially the flatbottoms. Of course if you're not going to race it ,you can build it the way you want.I used to be a member of R/C Dragboats and have seen mentioned about a W drive,but don't think I ever saw a pic of one.
I've always wanted to get a Dumas 36" SK Daddle kit and trace the parts before I put it together and get the parts sheet enlarged to a nice size to fit a Zenoah 26 with one of his gear boxes. The 36" I'd get a 1/6 scale dragster engine and get an electric motor inside it with a gearbox. There was a guy on one of the forums who make them with electric water cooled motors in them.Hyperformance has the V drives also and aluminum tanks Aluminum Fuel Tanks
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...5&&FORM=VRDGAR

Last edited by Tidnab; 12-15-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:58 AM
Tidnab

If you're going to use a clutch on a nitro boat for idling or short stops you should have a water pump.I had a Dumas Scarab 38 KV with an OS 77 VRM in it and the guy who built it put what looked like a windshield washer pump powered by a small battery. It was setup with a switch next to the throttle servo that the pump operated when going slow as this engine had no clutch and when you accelerated the servo arm shut off the pump and water was supplied by the water pickup on the hull.It also acted as a pump to remove water from the hull while the pump was operating. I never used the setup myself.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2007Christmaboatmotor017.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	2263029   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007Christmaboatmotor019.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	2263030   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007Christmaboatmotor020.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	2263031  
Old 12-19-2018, 05:04 AM
Tidnab

Since the poster hasn't been on since 2016 this info may help someone else with the same question.I sent him a PM hoping RC Universe would contact him through an email.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:20 AM
CueBall7166

Default To Visionteck4x4

Do you still make cluches designed for specific engines.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:37 AM
Tidnab

Originally Posted by CueBall7166
Do you still make cluches designed for specific engines.
You might try sending him a PM. RCU might send him an email that he has a message.
The following users liked this post:
CueBall7166 (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 08:55 PM
CueBall7166

Default Boat clutch

Thank you