Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Hull repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hull repair

I have a Nitro Hammer and would like to know if any of you guys know how to remove the top cap so I can do some inner hull glass repair.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 03-04-2006, 07:14 PM

Default RE: Hull repair

Well you can't remove the top cap without cutting it off and that isn't an option I want to do. I'm going to cut a hole in the forward bulkhead and make the repair from that point. It won't be easy, but, I have no choice.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:57 PM

Well I fixed the inner hull today. I was fortunate that the damage was right at the bulkhead and just forward about an inch,

I had to cut a hole out of the bulkhead with a Dremel tool between the stringers about an inch up and just shy of the sides of the stringers. Guess what I found when I did this.....Styrofoam in the forward bow from the bulkhead to the bow tip! It's the same shape as the bow and about 1/2" off the bottom of the hull. Just thought I would pass that along for those like me that didn't know that flotation was in the bow.

Anyway, after I cut the hole in the bulkhead, I sanded the area for repair and cleaned it with acetone. I then mixed some 5 minute epoxy thinned with acetone so it would be absorbed into the fiberglass matting faster, applied some epoxy to the inner hull, saturated the matting and then applied it to the hull followed by a few more coats of epoxy. The repair is stronger that any part of the hull now

Back to the water
Old 03-07-2006, 11:38 PM

thanks for the info kevin, I did wonder whether they had put some floatation stuff up in the bow..good to know that it can't fill entirely with water!