Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Raylon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson
Now, to fly the helicopter over the boat while it's running would be the ultimate in cool, just like the big boys!
Now that would be cool. Would make a cool video. So no break-in special crap? Just use the straight fuel? I would think to run it a little on the rich side for break in, then gently go leaner. I don't want this thing as a speed demon, just a nice reliable boat I can use for a while.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:11 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Nope, just run the needle on the fat side for a few runs then start leaning it out slowly. It might be preset a little on the rich side from the factory.
Oh yeah, check all of the bolts and nuts for tightness when you get it and Lock-tite those that need it.
We've got now 21 pages of all kinds of things that you can do to the boat once the urge hits for the need for more speed or just simple maintenance items.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:42 AM
C23

you have gotta do the helicopter following the TC31, that would be sooo cool.

need some advice...i was thinking about running my water outlet tube all the way to the back of the boat, through some chrome
pipes located in the 2 holes in the back of the cover. will this cause any problems with the pressure of the water exiting through the head???maybe causing overheating??let me know what you guys think. thanks
Old 06-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Ron Olson

You could but..................
The holes are there to help hot air to escape.
The water exit lines would have to be hooked up to the hatch, a real pain when taking it off and putting it on.
You already have the hole in the side which is a good place anyway for it as you can see if you are getting water to the head. Placing it the back will make it harder to see with the spray and roostertail.

I understand the cool factor of the water exiting the rear through the exhaust tubes, kind of like the full-sized racers. You can try it if you want but these are just some of the things that you might run up against.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:51 AM
toyotatruckin

I agree with ron on being able to see the water comming out.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:45 PM
C23

with that advice i think i'll leave the water outlet stay were it is. thought it might be cool, but oh well..thanks for the advice guys!!
Old 06-22-2006, 04:59 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

Well I got my new props in today. Went down to the water at the end of the day to test them out. Tried to start the boat and the stupid tiger drive stripped a gear on me. Didn’t even get the boat started. I’m getting really sick of the problems this boat is coming up with.

Thought about getting an electric starter & a belt. But I don’t know what to get for the belt to use on this boat. Any recommendations?
Old 06-22-2006, 05:49 PM
C23

hey NitroSS, i had the same problem with the tiger drive this past week, i was wondering if they offer new gears without having to shell out 40 or 50 bucks for the whole thing. I was looking on the shockwave thread and came across a recommendation for an electric start for that boat, it might work for the TC31.......get a belt like this and it loops around the fly wheel
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDR78&P=7
then use a motor like this for starting
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXL396&P=ML
anyone know if this would work.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:13 PM
tomoro

zelatio

where at the lake of the ozarks i live here and have many boats i also has a tc31
Old 06-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Raylon

PMed ya. Well, I'm gunna go look at the TC tomorrow at hobby shop. Any things to look for such as deformities like misaligned flex shafts or such?
Old 06-22-2006, 07:10 PM
brownvhf

Nitross and C23, I had the same problem only I went through two sets of gears. Shipped both sets back to horizon for replacement Tuesday at least pro boat service said they would replace them. In the mean time I put a pull starter on as Ron suggested and I like it, and enough of Tiger Drives, I don't like problems. Jerry
Old 06-22-2006, 08:21 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

It sounds to me like your guy's gear mesh must be all messed up. I had to play with mine a bit to get it to work right. The darn thing is set blind!!! Meaning you cannot see the gears when you set the mesh (incase someone reading does'nt know). I have just a tick of play and a smoooooooooooooooth tiger drive. I greased mine also. Once when I first got it before I ran it, so I never ran it with the stock gear mesh....Just an idea.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:09 PM
JPriami

ORIGINAL: brownvhf

I put a pull starter on as Ron suggested and I like it, and enough of Tiger Drives, I don't like problems. Jerry
Did you get the stock one like on the shockwave? What all did you have to replace? Buy the 20 dollar pull starter & just the starter shaft? Or did you have to buy a new backplate & OWB also?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:20 PM
brownvhf

I got the 20.00 one plus the shaft for the pull start. I had my gears greased, and looking at the gears I can't tell anything wrong so will have to see what service finds. I know the boat is easy to start with the pull start so will probably just leave it on. Hoping when the lhs dealer called horizon to let them know he was sending my shockwave36 back he also asked for them to send him a boat but won't know that until tommorrow afternoon.
Ran the tc31 today and ran well so will try and get a speed reading tommorrow night and it did seem faster today but hard to tell. Jerry
Old 06-23-2006, 08:13 AM
C23

I also had my gears greased, but i did find metal shavings in the casing, so who knows...i think i'll try a pull start..thanks jerry.
matt
Old 06-23-2006, 08:18 AM
JPriami

I just ordered the PS & the PS shaft. Maybe I can actually run my boat for once if & when these parts arrive. My luck I'll get them. Put them on and go back down to run the boat and something else will pop on me. This is fun right?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:24 AM
Ron Olson

Welcome to the world of nitro boats, also known as self-inflicted Hell!
Once you get tired of pull-starts and Tiger Drives, you'll end up by breaking down and buying a hand-held electric starter. If you plan on staying in nitro boating for a while, it's a good investment. Even a cheapie will turn the .32 over using a 12-volt gel cell battery.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:47 AM
JPriami

I was looking today at a carb online. The OS 21D carb. It looks like it might fit. Except the measurment of the base OD is about 1mm oversized. But it has a spacer over that. So I wonder if you took the spacer off what the OD size would be then.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:29 PM
impulse

Has anyone found an after market header that will work or is it a custom job?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:30 PM
Ron Olson

I don't know if I've asked this before or not but does someone have the bore of the carb boss on the block? I'm still trying to find someone that might be able to work on some carbs to fit the Dynamite .32's.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:58 AM
JPriami

Dynamite .32 Stock Carb’s Base
Intake Diameter (Top): .290 thousandths 7.36 mm
Inner Diameter (Base): .315 thousandths 8.00 mm
Outer Diameter (Base): .550 thousandths 13.97 mm
Old 06-25-2006, 09:21 PM
kuperman

Finally got TC31 in. I ran it on Friday evening, ran two tanks of fuel through it, and I was impressed so far. Only problems were the ones I have been seeing on here, pressure fitting backs out, and the prop was backing off. I used the last of my Blue Thunder and the lhs does not carry it so I had to get Trinity Fuel. Hope it works.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Raylon

I went to the hobby shop yesterday, had the nice hobby dude take the Cat down for me and we took a look at it. It was the only one left so I hope that no one buys it before I do. Its a very good looking boat, except for the radio box had broken free. I've read through the entire thread about twice, and what I've come up with is this:

1. Go through enitre boat and loctite all the things that need it. One question about that though, which color loctite?

2. Check alignment of engine to the prop. Try and shim it if it sin't perfect.

3. Grease the flex shaft very well. It seems to be the worst problem this boat has. Get and extra or two.

4. Waterproof the receiver and servos. Not sure how, hopefully someone can help me there. Saw something about dieletric grease?

5. Install autobailer, or two.

6. Possibly in future replace radio system completely. Heard to stay away from Spektrum.

7. Replace stock battery set with a 5 cell system.

8. Check fuel tank for leaks and secure hoses to the nipples using zipties.

Well, that's my list for now, anything else?

EDIT:
9. Add flotation using noodles to boat and lid.

10. Check carb settings.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:06 PM
toyotatruckin

Ran with some guys today and the tc31 had some tuning problems at first and the last time i ran it was running great the 225 prop is killer with the strut setting i have, the hull was just skimming the very top of the water cut the rudder down 1/4 off the back and 1/4 off the bottom, also works great, the stock rudder is way to big, if this tells you anything its the same rudder they use on the 1/8 scale miss bud.. It still turns on a dime The last run I made it flipped a couple times when i turned..Went swimming!LOL Very sturdy hull I hit a marker jug at full throttle didnt hurt a thing! I found a guy that has been in boats for a long time that is going to show me how to tune a prop and might run one size bigger next time guessing by the other boats out there its hitting 37 to 40 mph...
Old 06-25-2006, 10:26 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

I tried to run today.... I had the spektrum pro in the TC31. It sucks. Really sucks. It does'nt even get the same range the old spektrum did. It's worse!!!!! I guess I'll save my Spektrum for the MT racing and go back to "old" FM for my boats.

I can run my Villain EX half way out into the lake with no problems on 1/2 charged TX batts on the stock AM system. The spektrum on Full charge gets about 300ft. Funny, I never have the range problem with my trucks, only the boats.

I have a cheap Associated AM 3 channel Tx and Rx I think still works. It's going in the TC31. The stock Python stuff broke on me too. I hate RC radios.

Good thing my new M11 with spektrum 370$ radio kit came with the FM TX module. Now I only have to spend 50$ more for a FM Reciever to get my stuff going. Did I say I hate RC radios?

Although i'm pissed, I think the 75MHZ tried and true FM is my ticket out of radio hell. I hope so, cause if it's not this radio glitching TC31 is getting the dumpster treatment and brushless is moving in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.