Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 10:32 AM
wave waker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

[quote]ORIGINAL: Arrie

But Also broke the ftex drive and I dont know if that is because the prop is putting to much talk on the shaft. Is there a stonger shaft that wiil fit ?

to avoid in the future, try checkin the engine and stuffing tube alignment, tc31 is known for misalignment, 2nd lubricate the shaft most of the run time,,,,it happened to me breakin shaft 1 time eversince coz i forgot to lubricate it due too much fun running,,,i even installed oiler and now no more worries
Old 02-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Raylon

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Replace the stock flex cable with an aftermarket one. Some are using the Prather's but I like the Aeromarine or Hughey's. The Pro Boat ones seem to be all breaking at the same spot. I have an idea that it's from wicking of the solder up the cable.
Ignore what I said, listen to Ron, he knows much more than I will ever. I now have a new flex shaft on my list of things to buy.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Raylon

Does anyone have a procedure to making your own radio box seal? That stupid little rubber ring just doesn't cut it. I remember reading something about using silicon and wax paper, but can't remember exactly. I have a good idea of what to do, put a layer of silicon all the way around the box then put a peice of wax paper down over it. Then, put the lid on top and very lightly screw it down so the silicon squishes a little and forms the seal. Should I put the screws in too? I'm guessing they will unscrew right out of the silicon. Does that sound about right?
Old 02-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Use something like Saran Wrap instead of the waxed paper, it's a lot thinner. You can put some kind of lubricant around the screws for insurance to make sure that they'll come out easily.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Raylon

Does anyone see a problem with using high grit sand paper to take the dull finish off the tuned pipe? Or would this not be advised. I thought maybe that dull covering was there for a reason, but I'm not sure.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Ron Olson

If it's dull, you might be able to shine it up. Some have high-temp paint on them to keep heat in, I think that it's called kinetic energy.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Raylon

I tried a soft sanding pad and it just looks like I'm scratching the surface. Also, it reveals rings around the pipe, I can feel them also, which I couldn't before. I think I'll just leave it non shiny.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Ron Olson

Is it spun aluminum? Some tuned pipes are made that way and others are pressed then welded together.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Raylon

Not sure. It's the stock one on the TC31. It appears if small circle are are stacked on top of each other then welded together.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Drmeff

hmm I used 300 grit on mine and while it isn't chrome looking, it does look MUCH better, and I dont see the circles you are talking about... I might not have sanded as far as you did
Old 03-04-2007, 02:54 AM
Arrie

Hi all. I had my first race with the TC31. Weather was very bad and the water very choppy , boat did not like that so I had a bit of a nose dive in the first race. The v hulls like choppy water better. But second race the water was better and the cat went much better. I then got one 1 place and one 2 d place. And second over all. Not bad for the TC31 first race meeting.

The TC31 is a wonder full boat and is the best out of the box racer on the market now for the price you pay. After the people at the club saw the boat race there is now about 5 people that want to start racing the TC31. This is the most fun you can have with your clothes on, racing the TC31 is the best.

GO TC 31.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:00 AM
gooycheese

Congrats Arrie !!!!

hope ya have continued success, I am still looking to race my TC31 this summer

Paul
Old 03-04-2007, 08:39 AM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: Arrie

Hi all. I had my first race with the TC31. Weather was very bad and the water very choppy , boat did not like that so I had a bit of a nose dive in the first race. The v hulls like choppy water better. But second race the water was better and the cat went much better. I then got one 1 place and one 2 d place. And second over all. Not bad for the TC31 first race meeting.

The TC31 is a wonder full boat and is the best out of the box racer on the market now for the price you pay. After the people at the club saw the boat race there is now about 5 people that want to start racing the TC31. This is the most fun you can have with your clothes on, racing the TC31 is the best.

GO TC 31.
congrats man!!!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Drmeff

The club near me just does hydro rtr's and 3.5 tunnels I wish I could take the tc31 out and run it against some other boats!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Ron Olson

Go out there and show them what you've got, on the water. I was snickering at the TC 31's until I saw them run. You might change their thinking also.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:07 PM
seagullracer55

Put an Octura SS225 on it from Twisted liquid racing!! Awesome speed and lift. do yourself a favor replace the radio system or a least put a failsafe in. Its not a pretty cite to see it go wild and into an Island!!!
Old 03-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Ron Olson

Is it just me or do others find it amazing that a lot of first-time posters come in here and start right off by pushing Twisted Liquid products? The past few weeks I've been seeing a lot of this.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Raylon

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Is it just me or do others find it amazing that a lot of first-time posters come in here and start right off by pushing Twisted Liquid products? The past few weeks I've been seeing a lot of this.
I'm quite oblivious to most things in life, but once you mention it I have. They seem to be getting a lot of publicity on the forums. Satisfied customers? Possible. Probable? Not.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Drmeff

I have been on the TLR forums and I guess they are angry at the negative publicity they have been getting on the RCU forums, but it is sort of strange that a few people with less than 5 posts mention them right away. They have a few loyals that would praise TLR no matter what they gave them... a piece of card board for a turn fin and you would see them raving about great products... that is all I have to say, more power to them and if it makes some ppl happy great!

As a response, I already have some good props for it and they are sharpened/polished by me. So while I hear they do a good job on props, they wont be getting my 30 bucks at them moment. I already have a failsafe as well because I like my boats in one piece!

ooo and on a side note I put on some cowl locks from top secret boats on the back of the TC31 to keep the hatch down and MAN they work great! I cant use the stock system because my MAC pipe exits right through where the nut goes. This system works absolutly wonderful though. I think you can get this type of system through aeromarine, or any other fairly large retail boat company.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Arrie

All I know is that I will stick with my local importers and do the best I can. I will also listen to the people I know have been racing for years and know what they are talking about.

Also prather has only been giving me good service and why should I change to some thing I dont know.

Q: Is stanless props better than brass or does it just last longer?
Old 03-06-2007, 04:31 PM
wave waker

[/quote]

stainless is stronger, very nice when it is well polish, the other side it it's hard to sharpen n' balance, some say weight causes decrease engine rpm..
Old 03-06-2007, 07:08 PM
bbill1

ORIGINAL: Arrie

All I know is that I will stick with my local importers and do the best I can. I will also listen to the people I know have been racing for years and know what they are talking about.

Also prather has only been giving me good service and why should I change to some thing I dont know.

I heard from a reliable source (dealer), that Prather is going out of business. I could be wrong but this guy has been a dealer for them for 15+ years.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Ron Olson

Prather closed up shop on January 31st but there are props still around. I've got 2 coming right now.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:46 PM
tc4 drft

off topic questions....does anyone use the TLR inline rudder? Every pic I see, it's the stock hardware. I don't have a TC31 yet, but very soon. Here are some things I've been thinking about that I haven't seen anyone do yet. It looks like the gas tank is sitting above the hull, making for a higher center of gravity. I'm not sure where the fuel line connects on the tank, but couldn't you cut out those wooden notches out and silcone the tank to the hull? Or is it possible to run dual tanks, 1 in each section of the front most sponson? Also, when looking at the tc31 from the side, does the radio box rise above the top of the hull? I can't tell. The reason I ask is because I want to ditch the nasty looking hatch. Makes it look like a toy. If I can figure out the gas tank and radio box issues, I want to come up with a scale looking, low profile hatch. I want to put the cockpit right above the motor, not the tank. HELP!!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Ron Olson

I didn't see anything really wrong with the stock rudder except it needs the bottom stainless steel bolt removed and a soft bolt in its place so that it can braak away instead of breaking off.
One of the guys at the Fun Run last year modded his fuel setup by leaving the stock tank there and using another one in the right rear sponson. It seemed to really improve the ride attitude of the boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.