Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

rough water boat???

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

rough water boat???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Pyrotechnic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough water boat???

whats a good rough water boat??? i know deep vee but wat kind. for exemple a shockwave or hammer.

thanks
Old 04-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: rough water boat???

shockwaves best of the two, bigger and has a deeper vee with chine rails(strakes, w/e youd like to call them) the hammer is a combo of a deep vee in front and shallow in the back if its shaped like the hammer ep which i believe it is, I have a hammer ep and it does ok, but a shockwave will handle rougher stuff than the hammer, they are bigger though, If you want something smaller Id go nitro vee, not the fastest(mines modded does 25-30, 30 max) well 30 w/o bolting in more power but why, and the RTS is nice in rougher stuff, I use a carol moran to push boats sometimes, and I wouldnt put it out in some of that stuff, its only 18 inches and about 4 inches wide(i got a 400 motor in it, overpowered, its jujst not big enough) so the RTS helps, also the outdrive makes steering work well at any speeds in the rough stuff...Now Ill give you a warning, rough water usually is accompanied by a powerful enemy to boats, the wind, outdrive steering helps alot when there enough wind to lift the boat...I cam rippin up the pond into around a 20 mph headind, so It was doing at least 40 airspeed wise(nitro vee im talking about) and I hit a big wave, launches, and before i can blink has flown strait up two feet and landed on its lid, uh-oh, well luckily it took on no water, just floated in upside down, I was running within 10 minutes of getting it back, great rough water boat, cant ask for more than that, the wind was so bad comming into the wind I had to work to get it on plane, the wind held the bow up...but it was very very fun...hammer and vee will be cheapest of the three...or build a cat, but those will be the most expensive probablly...
Old 04-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bigger!!!
Old 04-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Pyrotechnic

thanks for the info

is there any other boats you can think of that would be good. i dont want to spend more than $400. and im gonna be running in chop 4-6 inches.

thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Pyrotechnic

and is the fin really required

thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Vertical3-D

Fins help in handleing, 4-6 inch chop is fairly large to be ripping through, a gasser would really be best in that situation, I was running in 3-4 inch chop with me nitro vee without problems, but I like that little bit of probable disater and if it would flip I only have maybe 250 in it parts and boat wise, used ones are around 175, used shockwaves are usually under 300, how about the new proboat thundercat, I forget the price at the moment, but that or the shockwave should handle that, though theres a possibility of flipping them, do some waterproofing, add an autobailer, and have a retrieval method, I build a retriever vessel, a wooden boat around 2-2.5 feet, havent measured it yet, not real detailed, looks like a fishing boat, has outriggers that raise and lower with strings and a weight at th end to snag boats and tow them with, and even a water cannon facing rearward in the unlikely but possible event of a fire, which is more likely in an electric than a nitro IMO....but itd have no trouble towing in that, I have about a 1-1.25 homade fourblade prop that has retarded amounts of thrust, driven off a reduced drive 540 motor, Id say geared down though it uses the drive belt from a tlt-1 truck(i built a climber so i had a whole belt drive setup)...
Old 04-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Pyrotechnic

thanks for the info

i would get a gas boat but i cant afford it unless a good deal comes up on ebay or something
Old 04-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Pyrotechnic

and about the thundercat, i would want to see it run before i got it.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Vertical3-D

yeah I have yet to see it go, from what I hear its underpropped from the factory,