Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 Engine tuning >

Engine tuning

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Engine tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine tuning

Does anyone know how to tune OPS engines? Im trying and its either too rich or too lean. It runs fine out of water but when I get it in the water it bogs out and dies. I've tried tuning it with a water pupm hooked up but I just cant seem to get it to work right.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4986/10001190on.jpg
Old 07-12-2006, 01:26 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Engine tuning

You can't tune boat engines out of water. There are two main reasons. First, if you set it for a good idle on shore, it'll be way too lean when you try opening up the throttle on the water. Second, running the engine at high RPMs on shore is a sure way to destroy the rod. So, you have to set them so they're slobbering rich on shore and just keep blipping the throttle until you launch. Once it's on the water you'll have a better idea whether it's lean or rich. Bogging down and dying shortly after launch is most often a sign that it's too lean. A rich engine usually stays running, but just not too quick.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:33 PM

That sounds about the opposite of what I had. I had mine slobbe rich where it was spitting fuel out the carb and exhaust, and it would constantly die when I put it in the water. even with blipping a lot. I leaned it out a little and It then ran perfect.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:55 PM

thanks a lot guys.