Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Update: Scale Hydroplane Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Update: Scale Hydroplane Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:07 PM
47steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Update: Scale Hydroplane Build Thread

I see how you guys use jigs. I think I'll wait until I get the plans on the boat to construct a jig. This looks like a great winter project and things slow down here in school. Building a PVC stand tonight for my new 1/8!!

These plans you order from Mr. Newton, are they set up for gas or nitro? I think I want to stick with gas.

I'm really really excited about this build!!

-Steve
Old 10-13-2006, 10:26 AM
buckwild
My Feedback: (1)

hydro junkie
i looked at all the planes and the ones i picked out are 1, 1993 frosted fkakes page 176 or 2. page 158 winson eagle 1991. how are these one ? and when i get the plans do they come with a materal list? any other info will help? and if you approve these boats i will order the plans this weekend and with the material is their a web sight to order the wood and stuff or do i go to my local hobby shop? thanks for your time and can't wate to get started

BUCKWILD RACING
Old 10-13-2006, 10:30 AM
47steve

Tower has a good selection of wood for building. Good question about the materials list needed. Also, what supplies would anyone recommend to get that would be necessary for building other than the plans and wood.

I'm thinking about epoxy, fiberglass, C-clams, etc... I've built about a dozen planes, but never a boat. If someone could construct a shopping list of building supplies, that would be great!!

-Steve
Old 10-13-2006, 11:32 AM
jbarrett

Another place I have found is national balsa. Website is www.nationalbalsa.com. They have a huge selection of wood products and grades, as well as all the various thicknesses. Only draw back is they require a $25 minimum, which given these type of builds could be exhausted in no time. As for a materials list, Newton Marine plans are very good at identifying what wood thicknesses need to be for each part right on the plans. Another good idea is to order the complete set of plans that includes the paint scheme so that you can get the decal size demensions for the specific boat. My plans for the Miss Bud were three pages complete. As for other materials, my research has discovered that a slow dry expoxy is the best so that it can absorb somewhat into the wood thus making the bond stronger. I don't know that you would want to use fiberglass on these boats since the outer skin is 1/16th ply, and fiberglass has weight factors that need to be considered for performance. I have been told that you want to use finishing reson to seal the outer skin, so that would be something to add to the materials list. If you do a search for a user of 'jdoug' you might find some useful tips and tricks from his posts. I actually work with him in my professional life so any questions I have he has been a great resource. I do have to tell you most of his projects have been Cats and racing V's, but the concepts for construction should be similar.

Not to mention, the posts I have seen from Hydro-junkie have been extremely insightful and it appears he specializes in the hydros.

This build is going to be fun with so many people part taking...

Joe
Old 10-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HJ, seeing the brass tube laying on your Miss Madison hull reminds me of a bad experience I recently had with my Sport Gas Hydro. I have always used brass tubing, well supported, under the deck to get the cooling water to the engine. I had a vibration problem with the GSH and the cooling supply tube under the deck broke. It's never been a problem before this. What I am doing now to prevent soaking the interior of the hull, is putting a larger size tube in and sliding a full length of silicone tube inside the brass tube from the transom to the engine. Now if the brass tube breaks, at least I have the silicone tube to rely on. I normally seal the frames and interior sides of the bottom and deck skin with epoxy but I never seem to get it completely water proofed. Result - raised grain on the skins.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Actually, John, I've never had a problem either. I have seen it done with the fuel tubing outside the brass tubing on one occassion, though either way it would be tough getting the fuel tubing through to the engine bay.

Buckwild, either of those would be a good boat and, better still, I have a source for a cowling and tail set. As for a materials list, there isn't one with Roger's plans so here is a good start:
1 12X36X1/4 FIVE PLY aircraft ply for the right sponson and boat transoms
3 12X48X1/8 FIVE PLY aircraft ply for lengthwise framing, left sponson transom and sponson sheers
4-5 12X48X1/16 aircraft ply for all remaining frames and boat skin
12 48X1/4 SPRUCE square stock
West Systems Epoxy with #206 and 209 hardeners

47steve, these boats are designed for .67 sized marine engines. If you want to go with a gas engine, you would need to enlarge the boat and do some serious re-engineering. Leave that for a second or third boat

For those thinking about glassing the outside of their boats, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!! A thin coating of epoxy is used to seal the wood, but no glass is used. Remember, the heavier the boat, the more of a slug it will be. It will be a couple of weeks until I can get started, so you guys still have some time to order plans and materials
Old 10-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Hydro Junkie

Okay boat builders, my plans arrived today Since I put in my last post it would be a few weeks till I start building, I will wait till October 28 to start building. For those who don't have their plans or materials, you still have time to get what you need. I would like an opinion though, should I start a new thread or just go with this one? Let me know what you all would prefer and then let the sawdust fly
Old 10-17-2006, 07:19 AM
jbarrett

I think it would make sense to keep this one going. Then if someone joins in after the build is started they can read through the posts and get caught up.. Just a thought..
Old 10-17-2006, 10:08 AM
47steve

I'm good with Oct 28, also, anyone have gas boat plans or know where I can get some to build with this thread? Otherwise, I'll just build what the plans call for and then sell or give the boat away. I like the build just as much as driving.

About the thread, I would start a new thread from the beginning as it will be easier to get a new person into the schedule. This thread is mostly discussion about things that can be posted in a few paragraphs (at most) of a new thread. We're already 2 pages deep here in several little discussions. I think things could be clarified that were derived from this thread and summarized to be more concise.

So, hopefully I didn't confuse anyone on my thoughts. Just finished my PVC rack for my 1/8 and it looks great.

-Steve
Old 10-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

For all of you that want to get started in building a scale hydro, you have 8 days till I start building. I have decided to start a new thread, so there won't be anything but pre-build and build information and pictures in it. Hope everyone is ready
Old 10-20-2006, 07:18 PM
47steve

My wood just arived yesterday! I have enough to probably build 3 boats. It's a lot, but better to have it now than need more later.

Great idea to start a new thread. I have to buy a small table to do some of this construction on. My wife is going home for a few months so I'll have lots of time!

-Steve
Old 10-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Hydro Junkie

That works for me, since I will be TRYING to build or finish at least 5 boats over the winter. My list includes the:
1978 U-6 Miss Madison
1982 U-30 Miss Prodelco
1991 U-6 Miss Madison
1999 U-6 Miss Madison(already started)
2001 U-6 Oh Boy! Oberto
1991/2 U-6 Kellogg's Frosted Flakes(the FIANCE'S request) if I have time.
Fortunately for me, the 78 Madison and 82 Prodelco use the same plan, while the 4 turbine boats are almost identical. Guess I have my work cut out for me[X(]
Old 10-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Hydro Junkie

I hope those of you that plan on building a boat with me are all ready, you only have a couple of days left till We kick off the build thread
Old 10-27-2006, 07:13 AM
jbarrett

Plans in hand, Jig built, some lumber acquired and more on the way. I'm ready to start cutting some pieces and can get caught up after the rest of my lumber arrives.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Hydro Junkie

Sorry folks, missed the start date on the build. I'll have pics and start the thread in a day or two
Old 10-30-2006, 12:12 AM
misshydro

Hydo Junkie,where can I find the wood for the boat at?Who has it?
Old 10-30-2006, 12:49 AM
Hydro Junkie

Balsa USA, Lone Star, Sig, Tower Hobbies, B&D International and several others. The LHS should have the aircraft ply and spruce as well.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:11 AM
misshydro

I'm planing to build two of them.The one would be a 1/10 scale,what wood would be good for thar scale?Balsa?The other is 1/8 what wood would be best suited for that size?
Old 10-30-2006, 02:24 PM
47steve

No problem with the start date....I start flying nights this week and will be too tired to do anything. I think I need some plywood after looking at some plans. What do you use for spars?

Also, I'm undertaking another project with my 1/8 miss bud this winter and may have some questions about that buildup.

-Steve
Old 10-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Hydro Junkie

misshydro, if the 1/10th boat is nitro, build it the same as the 1/8th boat. If it's electric, you will need to reduce much of the wood by 1/2 the thickness. As far as what to use for the 1/8th boat, go up to post 31.

47steve, same answer, check out post 31.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:35 PM
misshydro

Yes it will be nitro on the 1/10 scale.I'm will be building one or two Miss bud twin wing/T-4s But it will be alittle different/one of a kind.I'd been talking to Ron Olson alot about it and he's said it will look real cool.Then the other boat,if I dont build two of the T-4.Will be the winston war eagel. Oh could I go half thickness on nitro on the 1/10 for weight reason?Plus I think you got me lost on the wood?You said Balsa wood,but I saw on the other readings here 1/4 five ply aircraft wood 1/8 the same stuff and 1/4 spruce wood too.[&:]
Old 10-31-2006, 06:18 PM
Hydro Junkie

Let's get one thing straight,YOU DO NOT USE BALSA IN A NITRO POWERED HYDRO!!!!!!!!! Don't know where you came up with balsa, since I have always said not to use it. The wood is ALL AIRCRAFT GRADE PLYWOOD AND SPRUCE SQUARE STOCK. Can I make it any clearer than that?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:42 PM
misshydro

Dont yell at me!!! [:@]You lead me to beliveit!!You said BALSA USA!!!For one place to find wood.What The H[:'(]LL you expect me to think what you'd said!! SO I'm going to need Airplane plywood Then!![>:]
Old 11-01-2006, 12:47 AM
SteveC68

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Balsa USA sells aircraft grade plywood as well as other types of wood. Their name just happens to be Balsa USA. They have probably some of the best prices for plywood. It's where I order from.

Steve
Old 11-03-2006, 07:54 PM
tt-r

I have plans for the -94 U-10 Smokin Joe, how does that fit in this buildthread? any similar to the boats being built here?
Does this hull come in any other coulorschemes, or is it just the smokin joe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.