Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Update: Scale Hydroplane Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Update: Scale Hydroplane Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Update: Scale Hydroplane Build Thread

Will it work? Yes, though it is very different from the 1982 Prodelco and 1978 Madison. It is , however, similar to the Turbine U-6 Miss Madison/Oh Boy! Oberto, of which I may throw in a little for some clarification on the newer boats.
Does it come in other colors schemes? Yes, and if it's the 8700 hull, it was also:
1987 U-00 Miller American(with round topped cowling)
1988 U-31 Miller American
1988-1990 U-31 Miss Circus Circus
1991-1993 U-10 Winston Eagle(with sqared off cowling)
1994-1996 U-10 Smokin' Joe's
1997 U-10 Close Call
1998 U-10 Wild Fire
1999-2000 U-10 York International (with and without secondary sponsors)
2001 U-10/15 Miss Emcor
2001 U-10 Shelby Enterprises Presents Miss DYC
2001 U-15 Miss Emcor II
2002 U-25 Miss Home Lones
2005 U-13 Al Deeby Dodge/Spirit Of Detroit
2005 U-13 Karensanta@WindemerePresents Sportboat NW
2006 U-13 Acura or Bellevue

Just to let you know, Newton Marine MAY NOT have color sheets for all these boats, so it may be a research project as well to get pictures to paint the boat by
Old 11-04-2006, 06:46 AM
tt-r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see. Thanks. I'm not quite sure about the 8700 number you mentioned, but i did notice that the building sheets are dated 11/1989, while the colorsheet is dated 10/1994. The buildingplans are numbered "plan nr.158", while the colorsheet is called "nr.158-D". Does this tell you anything?

Also i was wondering if i should use a scroll or a jigsaw for cutting the parts. I have a jigsaw in my hobbyroom. When you start building will you also explain how to blueprint or make templates for the woodenparts?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Hydro Junkie

Actually, it tells me a lot.
The plan set you ordered covers all boats under plan 158, so the only differences are in the color sheet and cowling configuration.
Number 8700 is actually the number used for full sized hull identification by the APBA, ABRA, NAMBA and IMPBA. The way it is read is in two halves. The first half(87) is the year the boat started active racing, while the second half(00) was the U-# that the boat carried at it's first race. I hope this makes sense.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:41 AM
tt-r

yeah that makes sense to me. I was wondering about the U-#. but now i know that too. thanks man
How is the build going? decided on a date to start?
Old 11-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Hydro Junkie

Having a hard time getting away from the "honey do" stuff, not to mention that I don't have a digital camera, so I need to fill a roll before I get it developed. Have some running around to do today, so I PLAN on getting more build and picture taking done later today so I can get this thread started.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:34 PM
47steve

The "honey do" lists are killing me, too. Have a complete brake job to do this week on the wife's truck and am still flying nights. Life is rough now for a few weeks. Can't wait for a normal schedule. This at least gives me time to get some more plywood that I suspect I need. I came across some mahogany if anyone needs a few planks. I have a lot of it! Thanks for the update.

-Steve
Old 11-05-2006, 06:43 PM
tt-r

I suspect we all have loads of "necessary things" to do. I have to rebuild the whole kitchen just to fit a new oven we bought the other day. I'm going to order some ply tomorrow so hopefully i can start with the build after i'm finished with the Extreme makeover home edition
Old 11-05-2006, 08:57 PM
jbarrett

Yep, the honey do's never stop. I just had a few more added to my list. Not to mention I have been dealing with an insurance company related to an accident my wife had and a few other critical time takers. Hobbies tend to take the blunt of the neglect. At least I have made baby steps to get the templates for the cutouts done and have started the process of transferring the shapes to the wood. I still have a few more pieces to pick up before the assembly process for me, but since the cutting hasn't actually started, I have some time to acquire those parts. December should be a good month... It's all good...
Old 11-05-2006, 09:34 PM
47steve

How are you transferring the shapes to the wood? I've had minimal luck and am curious as to how you guys are doing it. When I built planes, everything was die cut and you just fit to the plans. When I scratch built, all spars were pretty much the same, but never built from just a set of plans.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:44 PM
unclecrash

I dont know hoew others transfer. But theres a few ways I do it. I take my plans to ups and have them make me copies. Some copiers the ink will tranfer if you take copie and place face down on wood and use an iron on it. Or I take and make a few copies and use 3m77 spray adhesive and just stick them on. Or I take a copie and cut to line the part Im wanting to transfer with straight edge exacto,scissors if radious. then place the paper on wood and use a bit of spray paint misted over the paper template this will leave a image of your part on the wood. Dave
Old 11-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Hydro Junkie

I prefer the tracing paper and carbon paper route. It takes some time, but it works for me. For those with boats that have the uneven sponsons, at least one frame REQUIRES the tracing paper/carbon paper job, but I'll get to that one in the new thread.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:06 AM
jbarrett

The easiest way I have found to transfer any pattern is a technic I learned in doing leather work. It is basically what the hydro junkie mentioned with the tracing paper. I copy the pieces over to the tracing paper, then lay the tracing paper on the wood and go over the pattern again either with a roller pen (like an ink pen, but with no ink) or an actual ink pen. This creates a dent in the wood of the pattern. From there, I can go back over the outline with either a pencil or pen before cutting. In most cases, I copy the pattern on the tracing paper with a pencil, then use the pen to transfer it to the word. By using the ink pen, you can easily tell what parts you have copied over.

I do think that it is a personnal preferrence though. I know someone who photo copies his plans and just cuts them out and traces from there. But what works for one, may not work for another... Hope this helps..
Old 11-06-2006, 01:22 PM
tt-r

You can altso try cutting the tracingpaper about half an inch bigger than the lines you have traced, then glue it to the wood with a gluestick( the kind used at school for paper). This works fine for me. I use a type of paper that are used by arcitects. A bit thick and has somewhat of a plastic-feel to it.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:17 AM
47steve

Thanks all for the input. I like the idea of the carbon paper and then ink pen. I'll also try the glue stick and paper, but I don't know about architects paper. I don't really have access to that were I am at. Oh yeah, is it Thursday yet? I want my week to be over...night flying is difficult to say the least. I get a 4 day weekend so I will spend some time on the boat.

Thanks again,
STeve
Old 11-24-2006, 05:55 PM
ByronRC
My Feedback: (2)

So, what's the deal? When does the build start?
Old 11-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Massey

Sadly I will not be able to follow the build with you guys but I will use the threads to teach my self to do this and to use as a reference when I am able to get the $$$ for wood and parts. I going to build a smaller boat tho with my hydro plans to use as an electric hydro. I had Kinkos scale them down for me by 65% which makes a 1/12th scale boat. I am going to put some of my stuff I have around my bench in the boat and hopefully when I am done I will have a nice looking fast hydro.

Massey
Old 11-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Hydro Junkie

Byron, it starts when I get a roll of film finished and developed. Since I don't have a digital camera, I have to do it the "old fashionned way". I've also been slowed down by the "honey do" list, which includes building a storage barn. I'm not getting a lot of building time since I spend most of my free time working on it(and around her, most of the time). IF things go right, I plan on having a roll finished sometime this week.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

HJ, you really need to pick up a digital camera. Ask Santa for one. Even a $50.00 camera can take some decent pictures.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Hydro Junkie

Sorry Ron, but when it comes to photography, I either get high quality equipment or I don't get equipment at all. I'm looking at a couple of 35mm styled SLRs, but the $1000+ pricetag keeps me using my 21 year old Pentax Super Program. It takes as good, if not better pictures than most of the new stuff on the market, plus the lenses are interchangable with my fiance's year old Pentax ZX60. I've also found my camera is more versitile than hers, since I can manually make all the adjustments to lens settings and shutter speeds myself, where hers in almost fully automatic[&o]
Old 11-26-2006, 08:05 PM
47steve

Digital cameras are nice.....use your camera phone....if it's a Motorola, I can send you software to transfer phone pictures to your computer and then go the opposite.

-Steve
Old 11-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Hydro Junkie

Sorry Steve, don't have one of those either.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:19 PM
47steve

I'm tempted to just trade you my camera for some boat stuff! No big deal on the delay, anyway....I'm busy with another boat right now. At least I'm done flying nights....that will kill you. I have a damaged hull which is a 1/8 proboat that I have been working on. Fed-ex decided to crack the seams almost all the way around the boat and damage a few other things. They sent me the hull back and bought me a new boat. I'm trying to repair the old one.....I know it's a waste of time, but I just want to try a few modifications first before throwing it away.

I have noticed that the pro-boat hull was cheaply laid together. The seams are crappy between the upper and lower halves. It's just a matter of time before the new boat cracks apart. I'm glassing the old one and reinforcing the new one all over the place. I really have to wait until I have all the hardware before I continue with the new hull because I am also keeping in mind the CG issues.

Let us know how things are with your boat(s) at least!

-Steve
Old 11-28-2006, 01:21 AM
Hydro Junkie

I have the four most important frames(in my opinion at least) dry fitted and photographed, so when I get the roll developed........................
Old 12-02-2006, 06:47 AM
Hydro Junkie

Okay boat builders, I have the build thread started. Here's the link
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5064732/tm.htm
Old 12-02-2006, 09:46 AM
buckwild
My Feedback: (1)

i am still wating for my plans and its been awile all i can do is hurry up and wate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.