Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Dumas 3.5 tunnel kit building...

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Dumas 3.5 tunnel kit building...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Dumas 3.5 tunnel kit building...

That's only because you are at the bottom of the world and not on the top like us here in the U S.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not betting on anybody! Run the video camera, no problem, but I've seen Mark's boats run and have yet to see a Dumas boat run as fast and as well as his.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:51 AM
ob nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My B SPORT Tunnel is a Dumas Hot Shot Sprint built WOF style. Motor is a STOCK K&B SS.. No MODS.. Motor was purchased from JD. Only thing I've done to the motor was to replace the bearings with a Boca set that I had around. The p/s have not been touch. NAMBA runs STOCK (no internal mods allowed -remember this motor came from JD) and IMPBA allows internal mods and external under the cav plate. Running a 7 oz Grim Racer Villain tank with no 3rd channel. Boat won Open B Tunnel at the Cincy race this year. No, I was not behind the wheel either. At the Lousiville race, B Sport Tunnel, it won 3 out of 4 heats. Due to a DNF and a cut bouy, took 3rd over all. Fuel is a Wildcat 65%. Boat was consistant in the 45 - 46.3 mph while practicing before the Cincy race.

If you want to know the secret to this boats speed, I'm not going to tell ya!!!!!!

Ron, thanks for the kind words. For some reason the wood Sprint I can dial in with no problem.

WW, plan to be at the pond this Thursday. I've got a few surprises for ya!!!!!!!

Ok, speed secret time.. it's that little thing that cuts thru the water.. Prop.. Pure and simple - it's the prop.... Props-4-U x1440 b/c ... Mark's best seller past few years running. He can't keep them in stock. I will be picking up a few more this winter just to have for backups.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:08 AM
unclecrash

Hey Mark what does the WOF stand for?
Old 11-29-2006, 03:44 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

WOF=Jerry Dunlap

Now that I've picked on JD, WOF is short for Wood Over Foam. The basics on this are:
1) Cut out the wood parts
2) Cut foam blocks to rough shape and size
3) Epoxy wood to foam one piece at a time, using wood as guide to do final shape on foam before epoxying on following piece of wood
4) When all wood/foam assemblies are finished, assemble them as needed to complete boat.
5) Install hardware & radio gear, remove same
6) Seal and paint hull as desired
7) Reinstall hardware & radio gear
8) Take to lake and enjoy

Granted, this is a simplistic way of explaining the process, but it gives the idea
Old 11-29-2006, 04:06 AM
unclecrash

Thanks HJ good rundown on the process. Was this boat available as a kit or a custom made version of the Dumas Hotshot Sprint? Thanks Dave
Old 11-29-2006, 05:27 AM
ob nut

What I did was take a regular wood kit and did a few changes. Build the basic frame, then glue in foam in all open areas for the center section and spoons. The foam was then sanded to shape. Once that was done, then the sheeting was applied. It's faster than sanding/gluing all the 1/4" strips in. Center section side was cut down after the radio box also. 1/4" was left after the spoon back side for a trim plate.

If you want to see what it takes to build WOF boats, I'd suggest this site: [link=http://home.earthlink.net/~obwof/]WOF Build[/link]. JD even gave his thumbs up to the information provided.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:07 AM
unclecrash

I was checkin out the WOF link I started lookin at the spoons boy I about freaked out. I didnt realize he was building a bunch of boats. I thought all the parts he made were for one boat[:-] Then I looked at the center build and saw he had a bunch of center sections and spoons put together [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Looks like a very sturdy method. But I like the way you said you put yours together out of a kit. I bookmarked the site so i can go back. Hey I have a question how do you get the throttle to work properly. It seems that it would be dificult with the motor turning at the back seems like it would bind. Does it have something to do with the use of the cable with the bend in it to let it flex when you turn so not to mess with throttle input. Hope you get what im trying to ask[] dave
Old 11-29-2006, 03:28 PM
ob nut

On all my tunnels, steering is handled by two solid rods for a constant push/pull process. Throttle is done via Sullivan Gold-n-cable. In the above pic, a yellow cable from the radio box to the throttle. There is enough "slack" built into this to allow the turning of the motor enough length so it will not get pinched.

The cable holder on the radio box is two brass tubes, one inside the other, silver solder together. The inside is used to stop the cable from going any more distance into the tube. The same was done at the motor, but I'm now using O.S. throttle clamp. To attach the cable to the throttle arm, several ways to do this. Another clamp soldered on, cable clamps, etc...

Is that clear as mud?
Old 11-30-2006, 12:53 AM
unclecrash

Yup a bit muddy but I got it. I know the solid rods are steering and the yellow sullivangold is throttle. Whenyou say slack are you meaning the way you have it curved so when you turn it it will straighten out the one dirrection and when you turn back the other it actually puts more bow in the cable or is there actually a little freeplay in the cable inside the yellow sleeve. Or is it the brass sleeve with the stop that allows for the slack or a bit of movement in the setup. Sorry to pick your brain [] just curious and gathering info so when I ever build one it will be easier. Dave
Old 11-30-2006, 05:25 AM
ob nut

The brass sleave (radio box) and the holder on the motor needs to keep the yellow sleeve from moving - between the two that is. Leave the sleeve long enough to allow enough slack so when the motor is turned in either direction (lock to lock) it won't bind in either direction. The cable will be attached to the servo arm and the carb barrel arm.

Easy way to keep this extra slack in the yellow sleeve is to this process. If the cable is coming out of the radio box on the port side, the carb end needs to be on the starboard side. This alone will provide some "slack" on the throttle cable. Same is true if the sides are reversed.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:50 AM
unclecrash

I got it now
Old 04-21-2007, 11:47 PM
wave waker

ran this little thing this p.m. and was surprised the speed i got after changing the stock muffler with carbon fiber tuned pipe, of course +/- 1 mph..50% nitro. x442 prop, boat runs pretty stable but on the edge,,i may say the hull is capable to run 50 mph but increase chances of blow over...a real fun boat..

sorry for the blurdy pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90877.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	669631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52192.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	669632  
Old 08-19-2007, 08:57 AM
wave waker

latest update of this boat, was in winery race yesterday and i ran it in stock class and end up 2nd with wine trophy, i race this very seldom because it's too small and a big disadvantage in the race but this is a real fun boat.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94375.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	745045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40645.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	745046  
Old 08-19-2007, 08:59 AM
wave waker

opppss! i do no what happened pics went hugeeeeeeeeee!![X(]