Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Traxxas .15 engine

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Traxxas .15 engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 12:39 AM
Tommy gallagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas .15 engine

Hi im new to this and was wondering if this is possible

Can a traxxas .15 car engine be used in a nitro boat it does have a cintrifugal clutch and all

What concerns water cooling is it possible to make a cooling coil for the head

And how would you know how big of a prop to start with on such engine

Please any insight

Regards Tommy
Old 11-19-2006, 01:04 AM
wave waker

Default RE: Traxxas .15 engine

ORIGINAL: Tommy gallagher

Hi im new to this and was wondering if this is possible

Can a traxxas .15 car engine be used in a nitro boat it does have a cintrifugal clutch and all

What concerns water cooling is it possible to make a cooling coil for the head

And how would you know how big of a prop to start with on such engine

Please any insight

Regards Tommy
welcome!! it's possible but lots of work, there are marine engine in the market with reasonable prices,, favorably in open mono or v type hull so that u won't have problem with cooling...clutch in nitro boat is good as nothing coz once u started running the boat all u need is run it wide open and speed, clutch makes the opposite.

there are recommended prop size in different engine size and boat hull type...my 2cents..
Old 11-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Tommy gallagher

Can u please define lots of work name just a couple of things which would have to be changed

My question is would a cooling coil be ok for such engine or would it still overheat

Regards Tommy
Old 11-19-2006, 09:34 PM
wave waker

Can u please define lots of work name just a couple of things which would have to be changed

My question is would a cooling coil be ok for such engine or would it still overheat

Regards Tommy
cooling is not a lot of work but the clutch is....overheating is not really a problem as long as the engine is not enclose and running lean but one of the best to know the engine temp. is run it for few laps then pull-out the boat and measure with temp.gauge....if cooling coil needs to be added, a soft brass tube from the LHS will do the work.

with the clutch it needs a gearing conversion to connect to the shaft...
Old 11-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Tommy gallagher

As i understand the clutch i can keep its how i will conect it to the shaft that matters right

Do the marine engines have no clutches i mean how will your boat be still in water while motor running just an example

Regards Tommy
Old 11-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Tommy gallagher

When u talk about gearing conversion is the engine usually conected right to the shaft without using any gears or are u talking about the clutch plate itself which is itself is a gear
Old 11-19-2006, 10:29 PM
gofast53

Hi Tommy, you normally have a flex shaft or solid shaft which connects between engine shaft and the prop. Engine runs length of boat, but to use your current engine with clutch it would have to be mounted at right angles to the shaft or flex shaft (as is the case in an rc car). Normally there is no need to have a boat stationary hence no clutch required, as most of the time you are running at full throttle or at an idle when coming back to shore....well that my 2 cents anyway!
Old 11-19-2006, 10:40 PM
wave waker

When u talk about gearing conversion is the engine usually conected right to the shaft without using any gears or are u talking about the clutch plate itself which is itself is a gear
it needs a collet or u-joint to connect the shaft to the engine,...most nitro boats don't use clutch..clutch has an advantage in a bigger boats during lauching coz boat can stand still and don't need another person to throw it...

don't be confuse when controlling boat, in the control as u push the brake lever the engine will shut off not like in the car it's a brake and engine still running.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Tommy gallagher

All the information given above i have understood but just to clear my head, having a clutch wont be such a bad idea after all

Regards Tommy
Old 11-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Tommy gallagher

Wher would be a good place to shop for parts such as flex shafts mentioned above and all the other needed parts for a boat.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:04 PM
gofast53

I suggest doing away with the clutch, as it is just something else to go wrong and you will find that its serves no purpose.
Where I live I do not have access to any good LHS which stock boat parts so I deal with Tower Hobbies as their service is great and they seem to have most things. But there are many are specialized stores with web sites that can supply you what you need, no doubt other people on this forum will be able to steer you in the right direction!
Old 11-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Tommy gallagher

Thanks for all the help it has really cleared some of the issues i had in my mind

Regards Tommy