Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

new boat-31" Victory off shore cat updated 31/12

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

new boat-31" Victory off shore cat updated 31/12

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:43 PM
cyclesoul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new boat-31" Victory off shore cat.

i r4eally need to read up on prop modifying as ther has to be a way to make this stock prop a little freeer and easier for the engine to pull revs i remember something about a bar cut or something, i will do a search and break out the files me thinks!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:33 PM
cyclesoul

I have put a few tanks through the boat now, but i am still having some problems with a couple of things. i ran a tap through the header to try and get some good thread back and it worked well, for about 2 tanks [] then the exhaust header would work it loose again leaning the mixture and ruining the performance. So i am going to drill out the engine block to accept a 4mm bolt and re-tap the header to suit, that should make it stronger!

Because of this problem i havent been able to see whether the shortened header has effected performance much, though it would seem that the pipe is now to short and easily falls into the hull of the boat now, which can make a real mess when its running! I think by shortening the bend on the inside of the header i can stop this happening, either that or i will have to add a bit to the stinger on the end of the pipe to solve it.

The limited time with the boat running though has shown it to be revving harder, so I think I am heading in the right direction. With a long weekend coming up i hope to get it sorted so i can take it away with me and get it into some rougher water as this flat water running is getting boring as the pond is a little on the small side.
Here's a picture of the "tuned pipe" and the once blue header that has the stripped thread

One interesting thing about the boat is that it seems to be tipped over to the right under throttle and stays that way when running and also seems to lean out to the right during left hand turns, it defineatly turns much crisper and neater to the right. The weight distribution of the boat seems pretty even so what is causing this?? Is this from the torque of the prop, because the prop is a plain plastic prop (though its very stiff) that isnt sharp or balanced, or could it be because the strut seems to be mounted at a slight angle, not straight up and down?

BTW the prop is a B-2 1.4x38 does this mean much to anyone??
Here's a picture of the slight angle that the strut is mounted at, is this normal?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:59 PM
ByronRC
My Feedback: (2)

this may help for handling the turns

http://rossisales.com/strut.html
Old 01-23-2007, 12:02 AM
cyclesoul

thanks for the link Byron, Its something that I will look into in the future for sure. Though the boat handles fine, it does not slide out or have any adverse handling traits. It hooks the turns well, its just that when turning to the left the boat tends to lean out of the turn, while when turning to the right it leans more into the turn like a mono hull. Also when running in a straight line it leans over to the right which made me think that the turning attitude and the straight running attitude were connected. Which also got me thinking about the strut not being at 90 degrees to the hull bottom.

B
Old 01-23-2007, 06:24 PM
ByronRC
My Feedback: (2)

just wondering. who makes this hull?[8D]
Old 01-23-2007, 07:42 PM
cyclesoul

The hull had a TFL HOBBY sticker on the inside of it, other than that I do not know any more. About a third of the way down the second page there is a post by Jochenerg or something (sorry cant remember how it goes!!) he is the guy I bought the boat from on Ebay. You should try contacting him about it. It is a nice hull, and is the most realistic looking of any small cat I have seen, most of them are quite ugly under 40" it would seem! Seems to perform well to, though the real test will come this weekend when it gets some open water action!

Beno
Old 01-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Drmeff

I think it needs a .21... .18 is still too small!

On a side note, I love the way that boat looks
Old 01-28-2007, 07:14 PM
cyclesoul

Thanks Drmeff, I think it is one of the better looking cat hulls around, especially under 40". A .21 would be nice, but it wouldnt be a drop in fit and I am keeping it simple as this is my first boat. The TZ I have bought has as much HP as most .21's and only cost me $130 so it was a bargain! when I put it in there I will be doubling the hp compared to the current engine, that should provide me with an increase in performance without increasing weight!

Ran the boat in some open water for the first time on the weekend (we had a long weekend here in Australia to celebrate Australia Day n I spent it wakebaording and drinking beer ). With 1:1 boats everywhere and some constant 3" to 4" wind chop it was vastly different to the pond running I was doing before! I must say the boat handled it extremely well getting some good air time when the 1 foot wakes went past! (somethimes bigger when a wakeboarding boat went past, slowed for those though!). The boat flies very well through the air and was very perdictable skipping across the smaller chop. Still have a little problem of the pipe dropping into the hull after some of the bigger jumps, and the header still needs to be slightly shorter to bring the engine on the pipe a bit earlier, but with it already falling into the boat i will have to extend the stinger or come up with another way to hold it in the boat.

Other than that though it was excellent to see it in some rough water like its 1:1 brothers. Cant wait to put the TZ in there and get some top end speed too.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:34 AM
rageman

Default RE: new boat

Cyclesoul,

I am thinking about purchasing this same boat. You said $199 USD but ~$350 at your door. How much was shipping and how much import duty?

As received what equipment did not hold up in use / should I replace out right? Did you ever run the .15 it came with?

Anything else I should know / recommendations before making a decision?