Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

what rigger hull for .21

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

what rigger hull for .21

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 12:33 AM
carprigger50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what rigger hull for .21

I WANT TO BUILD A .21 RIGGER FOR MY FIRST BUILD .DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY CONCEPT LOOKING RIGGER PLANS OR KITS,YA KNOW SOMETHING CRAZY LOOKING LIKE A TEAM GAG.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: what rigger hull for .21

You're not going to find any boats like the Team JAG boat for a .21 .
For something a little more conventional, you can get one of these from Peter Richards right across the border: http://welasercut.com/lasercart/inde...products_id=79
Old 12-02-2006, 11:22 AM
carprigger50

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

You're not going to find any boats like the Team JAG boat for a .21 .
For something a little more conventional, you can get one of these from Peter Richards right across the border: http://welasercut.com/lasercart/inde...products_id=79
thanx for the link ron i like that one alot! went to the LHS today and found out theres 3 boxes of boat stuff behind the counter all dusty and hidden with my name all over it! yah hoo! so the owner says make a PILE , ill quote you a price and we`ll go from there.got enough 3/16 drive parts to finish two .21 boats,and 1/16 drive parts to finish one small rigger.pluss alot of ods and ends for them too,..tanks,pipes,ss nuts and bolts and such supper dupper cheep! oh and a prather 20 degree exhaust throttle and venturi for a .21 K&B! figured since ive got the .81 in CON-FUSION dialed in killer fast why not another.i love the explosion of power comin outa corners,POW HORSEPOWER NOW!!! heres some pics of some of the booty.

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37948.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	570380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49028.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	570381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13678.jpg
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	570382  
Old 12-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

They're aren't a lot of .21 'rigger kits on the market any more as most are now coming about 80% or more pre-assembled at about 3-4 times the cost minimum..
I love finds like that too! When I hit out-of-town hobby shops I can find some cool stuff that they have stashed away.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:16 PM
TomMoorehouse

Electric and nitro boats have different design goals. That is why you won't see a nitro rigger like the JAG. The JAG boats would not have any room for a fuel tank, they don't need one.

I know of only 2 nitro rigger kits on the market. the www.firefighterboats.com and the dumas hawk. Both can be very competitive.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:30 PM
carprigger50

well,...i guess ill gust scower every avalable site i can find and do a retro concept rig of my own,..wow that sounds crazy!i also have a coppy of RC BOAT MODELER ADVANCED R/C BOAT MODELING. i suppose most of the info is older but useful. im going to try and fuse a few boat designs together. im thinking this could be a build thred!oh boy im off and serching!!!!

i need a pot of coffee!
Old 12-05-2006, 07:14 PM
carprigger50

ok,... i drew up some plans and started on my rigger.i pretty much used a team jag design but all wood, a bit more boxierand a simular sponsin design, though without the tail step design. heres what i came up with.[img][/img]

Name:	Fd91040.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	572338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50110.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	572339  
Old 12-05-2006, 07:25 PM
gooycheese

Are the sponsons foam balsa filled? They are almost as big as my baby rigger tub..................lol

Paul
Old 12-05-2006, 07:30 PM
andrewhendler

First and foremost, I am here to help. Please do not take anything I say as an offense.

What kind of wood are you cutting that out of. The Entire boat should be pretty much hollow. Use as lite as ply and balsa as possible.
Weight is definatly a key issue. If you pm me your email address I will send you some plans that will help with ideas of what type of wood to use, trust me my first boat was real nice looking until i tried to run it and it almost sank from being to heavy, now its a nice looking peice of firewood[&o].

Also with the plans you will know what angle of attack the sponsons should be at as well as the geometry of the boat overall, it is key to making the boat even get any decent speed. Also a 10 inch sponson is way to big for a 21" powered rigger.

And if all this is to much to handle, firefighter boats sells a .21 rigger kit for cheap compared to many other kits.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:40 PM
carprigger50

hey paul ,their that pink foam,...man that jaz shure can make a fella itch when you sand it! i sand witched 1/4in balsa canter and 30min epoxed together ,drilled, shaped and sheeted with 1/32 berch ply.please take in mind this is my first build,..so dont hold back!i may not use these though.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:52 PM
andrewhendler

Also building a rigger as a first boat will be tough. I am not saying dont do it, go for it, but you will have a very steep learning curve ahead of you. tried and true is the best example to follow
Old 12-05-2006, 07:53 PM
carprigger50

ya know what i was thinking the same thing,im thinking this will have to be a .40 or so since the overall length of the hull is 28"
ORIGINAL: andrewhendler

First and foremost, I am here to help. Please do not take anything I say as an offense.

What kind of wood are you cutting that out of. The Entire boat should be pretty much hollow. Use as lite as ply and balsa as possible.
Weight is definatly a key issue. If you pm me your email address I will send you some plans that will help with ideas of what type of wood to use, trust me my first boat was real nice looking until i tried to run it and it almost sank from being to heavy, now its a nice looking peice of firewood[&o].

Also with the plans you will know what angle of attack the sponsons should be at as well as the geometry of the boat overall, it is key to making the boat even get any decent speed. Also a 10 inch sponson is way to big for a 21" powered rigger.

And if all this is to much to handle, firefighter boats sells a .21 rigger kit for cheap compared to many other kits.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:54 PM
gooycheese

I am building a rigger under the winter rigger build thread and I hope my boat floats lol. My tub is only 15 3/4 long and i am considering a .12 for it. But before I get to crazy with putting everything into the boat I will finish the hull seal it and see how it floats with some weight added to it. I hope the sponsons will keep me floating

Paul
Old 12-05-2006, 07:59 PM
carprigger50

darn rite you are, shure i will learn alot from this build ,ill post some pics of the hull in a minute.
ORIGINAL: andrewhendler

Also building a rigger as a first boat will be tough. I am not saying dont do it, go for it, but you will have a very steep learning curve ahead of you. tried and true is the best example to follow
Old 12-05-2006, 08:04 PM
gooycheese

I think on page 4 of the winter rigger build Ron Olson says his .12 rigger tub is 24 inches and to the sponson tips it is 25 3/8 . So 28inches for a .21 tub doesnt seem to big to me, but I am just guessing

Paul
Old 12-05-2006, 08:06 PM
carprigger50

ive followed along with your build,.. its all your fault im doing this to myself!!!!!!!i dig your boat alot wait till you see what ive got up my sleeve!
ORIGINAL: gooycheese

I am building a rigger under the winter rigger build thread and I hope my boat floats lol. My tub is only 15 3/4 long and i am considering a .12 for it. But before I get to crazy with putting everything into the boat I will finish the hull seal it and see how it floats with some weight added to it. I hope the sponsons will keep me floating

Paul
Old 12-05-2006, 08:24 PM
carprigger50

yah me to i have a 40" rigger with a K&B .90 that is sick fast , i have a few motors i can plug in to see what works[img][/img]
ORIGINAL: gooycheese

I think on page 4 of the winter rigger build Ron Olson says his .12 rigger tub is 24 inches and to the sponson tips it is 25 3/8 . So 28inches for a .21 tub doesnt seem to big to me, but I am just guessing

Paul

Name:	Yw66480.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	572375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39703.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	572376  
Old 12-05-2006, 08:51 PM
gooycheese

That is really different looking so far. Is that like 3x0 transom and a two level tub?

Paul
Old 12-05-2006, 10:43 PM
carprigger50

ok, since i reely wanted to build something challenging and uniqe most all of this build will be fabed by me. all im using as a base is all ive read in these forums and links, plus advanced r/c boat modeling, a few chapters are on hydro design,angle of attack and setup.
as for a two level tub,...you meen stepped?please if you can explain.as for the transom it will be underneeth ,secured to an internal transom,glassed and epoxied.i figured the weight of the reinfocing can take place of the wood that is not there by tapering the tub. for now im not looking for this hull to be supper lite.i want it strong but nimble.later on in the winter ill get into using liter meterials,carbon,cevlar,titanium,and thinner plys,reely get into pushing the limits of the materials used.trust me i know how a rigger can come apart at high speed,..try it at 90! the boat was floating by the rear sponsons,if the raido box wasnt water tight it would've sank about 30 feet $$$$$[:@] heres a pic of the tub. [img][/img] quote]ORIGINAL: gooycheese

That is really different looking so far. Is that like 3x0 transom and a two level tub?

Paul
[/quote]

Name:	Hf99530.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	572498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65677.jpg
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	572499  
Old 12-05-2006, 11:17 PM
gooycheese

I didnt realize the front boom was like on a front fork, will that work like that? arent the lines of the hull comprimised? Are you gonna be able to change angle of attack, it looks like your booms are secure? On mine I made only the front boom adjustable. How wide is your tub looks like you could have radio box troubles like me with such a short rear end?

Paul
Old 12-06-2006, 12:24 AM
carprigger50

the theroy is air passes between the forward booms and gets forced under the tub,rather than air spilling and washing off the sides craeting pretty much the same lifting effect as having all that tub out front.ive herd that a large stepped sponson dasign helps to stableize it on the water so i went with it.
i have ajustment for angle of attack just didnt finish cutting the holes .the raido tub is 3"X 6 1/2" X2" sloaping down to 1".i laid all my raido gear out and it"ll be good, all the servos will be lying down and im going to build a AA stick pack to fit on the right side [img][/img] ]ORIGINAL: gooycheese

I didnt realize the front boom was like on a front fork, will that work like that? arent the lines of the hull comprimised? Are you gonna be able to change angle of attack, it looks like your booms are secure? On mine I made only the front boom adjustable. How wide is your tub looks like you could have radio box troubles like me with such a short rear end?

Paul
[/quote]

Name:	Us55304.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	572550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58210.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	572551  
Old 12-07-2006, 06:02 PM
carprigger50

finished the fuel tank and have mounted. i changed the transom a bit, the tub wasnt long enough, i did the 2 to1 method to determon the length. between the sponsins its 11",times that by two, 22" should be the length from the back of the sponsin to the transom, i was off by 4".stil it turned out great.[img][/img]

Name:	Bz78123.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	573380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32375.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	573381  
Old 12-07-2006, 06:25 PM
gooycheese

Very Nice, How come everybody seems to be a pro at this soldering stuff..............everything I solder looks like a pile of crap-ola. But your tub looks really nice, I hope it works well ................pushing the envelope are ya. I will say this its hard to figure out what I am looking at top or bottom, It looks like a stuffing tube but it also looks like a radio box? And the stuffing tube looks really offset and the fin down the middle? Im just a little lost lol but that normal for me

Paul
Old 12-07-2006, 08:04 PM
carprigger50

i was in to slot cars years ago and fab'd all my own frames using solder and lots of brass.c0omes in handy now and thenthe fin looking thing is to elimanate up and down flex in that area related to torque.i used a piece of 8" long 1/4" aluminum tobe to run the rudder control through, i just thought it would look cool.just took clamps off the nose block,check it out![img][/img]

Name:	Xv63275.jpg
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	573456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73086.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	573457  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:13 PM
gooycheese

Ok now it makes sence

Looks really good , really diffrent but really good.

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.