Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Help my son and I

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Help my son and I

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 06:21 PM
DNSeal442
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my son and I

We just bought a 55 inch cigarette hull (deep vee) tht has a new OPS 15cc engine in it. Question; how would you reccomend instaling the prop shaft? Do we go through the transom (which I like due to ease) and/or do we exit the hull and curve it to the rear and secure with shaft strut? We are not looking for speed (well not too much) so we are willing to sacrifice some speed, but not control performance. We were told that exiting the transom (bottom area) would cause the boat to rock side to side as she ran. please share your comments as we are eager to build.

Thanks
Gil and Dan[:-]
Old 01-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Jerry Dunlap

Default RE: Help my son and I

Most deep vee models now run the strut even with the bottom of the hull.

JD
Old 01-14-2007, 06:53 PM
DNSeal442

More info and thanks: I just found out that the hull is a "A Dumas Boat"...

as per mounting of the shaft location, if we exit at the bottom of the transom will the boat rock side to side? One more question, whats good rudder shaft strut combination, would like to have the rudder behind the prop rather than off to the side (we won't be racing this boat.

thanks again
gil and dan
Old 01-14-2007, 08:01 PM
saleens7

most likely the dumas scarab

the boat shouldnt rock...even at speeds, large vees usually have a good amount of stability

there arent many rudder behind prop setupd that i know of....the offset rudders arent for racing only...i actually find offset rudders better...

...in fact, i dont even know if there are any rudder behind strut's that are big enough for the hull..

another thing you can use is a steerable outdrive...it may not go as fast, but has more control and stability...an RCM drive would be great for the scarab...there is also the MHZ one, but its way overpriced and the same thing as the RCM...
Old 01-14-2007, 08:11 PM
gofast53

Hope you have a big pocket as that motor is sure going to suck some fuel! I have a 41"dumas vee with a .61 and that can guzzle some nitro. My stuffing tube exits transom into a strut that runs parallel with bottom of hull. My rudder with dual water pickup is mounted directly behind prop. Will see if I can get my digital camera working and post some pics later tonight.
One interesting mod that a previous owner has done on my hull is that the hole where the stuffing tube exits is over-sized, the xtra space in this over-sized hole has been filled with silicon giving it some flexibilty for adjusting the stuffing tube angle of exit.
I originally had a .46 but have recently upgraded to a .61. Interested to know how you intend cranking your engine over, do you have a heavy duty starter motor?. As this is my problem right now, the starter motor I had for my .46 is not suitable for my .61!
Old 01-14-2007, 08:12 PM
saleens7

you could always switch over to a gas enigne though...they are usually less than a nitro the same size and have less maintanance and gas is cheaper...
Old 01-15-2007, 09:31 AM
DNSeal442

Has anyone heard of and know where to get an RCM Outdrive unit for this boat?

thanks
gil
Old 01-15-2007, 10:45 AM
cwaterhunter

ORIGINAL: DNSeal442

Has anyone heard of and know where to get an RCM Outdrive unit for this boat?

thanks
gil
check e bay,, there are some boating outlets that are on there,,i get a lot of stuff there just do your homework some are good deals others are nuts,, always check what the shipping cost is,, thats where they " get ya"..i have gotten some great deals there,,
Old 01-15-2007, 11:19 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are inline rudders and struts available if you look try these they are expensive at our uk prices but you should be able to fine some from the usa?.or try rc world good prices and go for a strut and an offsetvrudder.
[link]http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/surfacedrive.htm[/link]

[link]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aluminum-Hardware-21-45-Strut-Rudder-For-Deep-V-Hydro_W0QQitemZ150004288516QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3405 8QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem[/link]

heres a strut for upto size 40 they are out of 1/4 shaft ones for bigger engines including gas but normally run at same price

[link]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Strut-Bracket-3-16-Shaft-21-45-Deep-V-Hydro-Boat-Hull_W0QQitemZ6026072030QQihZ009QQcategoryZ34058QQ tcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem[/link]
Old 01-15-2007, 11:25 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

carimali all you need to start a .61 is a normal starter the trick is to loosen the plug on the engine first just a half turn is enough and then she will turn over no problem once she starts tighten up the plug and run her.i do that on mine with a standard 12 volt starter and an sc.61 engine works like a charm and starts everytime.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:39 PM
gofast53

No have tried that, have even loosened plug to the extent that it is beng held in by only half a tread and still too much compression. Motor is still being broken in and abit tight but once a few more tanks have been run through it it should become easier to turn over. But as I need to complete breaking in I am going to purchase a higher torque 24v starter motor.