Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

RCPBA, Classes for RTR Racers!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

RCPBA, Classes for RTR Racers!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:08 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCPBA, Classes for RTR Racers!

ORIGINAL: 330T

hey paul i have a .12 mono, and 12 rigger that i plan on racing all summer. if i have to race in B mono, and B hydro then so be it I'll be out pounding the pavement to get A mono and A hydro support.

I think the biggest draw for the A classes is its not all about a $500 motor, and $150 pipe.
Our club had a "sorta A" mono class at our club races last year. I say sorta because they were actually running .15s and .18s. One of the club members put them together for several other members. I think the total cost of boat, engine and radio was less than $300. On a couple occasions, a few of them didn't show up, so we let them run with the .21 tunnels, just for the fun of it. The interesting thing is nearly every one of the guys who ran one of these boats was primarily a "gasser", as were several of the guys running tunnels.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:13 PM
RedBullVegas

TT,

What if you buy it second hand not yet planning to race? The original buyer may have the P.O. and never planned to race it. Then you decide that you want to run in the RTR class, but now can't find the original owner to get the paperwork? LOL. I am just playing advocate here, but I can see a big issue being made of it. That is why we need the gas guys to help write the classes.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:29 PM
toyotatruckin

play advocate, thats what gets things going.if one mans voice was heard nothing would ever get done right!! Needs to have things set-up as in the book guide lines....
Old 02-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If I have time at work tonight, I'll try to compile a list of most of the boats that I know of that are nitro powered and under .21 that would be eligible. This will not include the ones coming out of Asia as I really don't know the names of those.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:41 PM
RedBullVegas

Thank you for your help Ron!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:42 PM
TomMoorehouse

So ya want to make it easier for a new guy to get in to racing via a RTR class. So your making new rules. Think about that. More rules does not equal easier. No matter where/who/why/how you get your boat, boats should be raced simply with simmilar boats. You have 2 things that divide up boats. Hull type and engine type. So you make classes by hull type and engine type. IMPBA and NAMBA have already done this. If ya make more rules ya make it more difficult, more intimadating.

That's the way I see it.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:10 PM
riph
My Feedback: (26)

You are trying to have too many classes. This is what is killing IMPBA & NAMBA. A club tries to promote a race with 17 to 20 different classes. Some classes do not make and many only have 3 boats. How much fun is it to run only three boats in a class?? It is also a chore for the host club to buy trophys. At our last race we bought 14 classes of trophys and only 5 classes made. No nitro classes made. This year we are not having a race.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have the time nor the inclination to read all this banter about another sanctioning body for boats. My position is that we don't need to further fragment the boating community. I'd love to see NAMBA, IMPBA and APBA meld into one body like the AMA is for airplanes. Then we'd be back to weekend races with hundreds of boats instead of a Saturday or Sunday afternoon with 40 or 50 (if you're lucky) boats competing. Our club has gone from 20+ members in the early 80's to about 6 active boaters today. I've put invitations out to several boaters in the Connecticut area with no responses. If you RTR guys want to get involved with racing within your own class get out to the local club sites and let your interests be known. Don't sit in your corner and whine because we don't pat you on the butt and kiss you on the forehead. We in the Greater Hartford Model Boat Club would enjoy having you join our racing schedule. The NAMBA organization may not have rules specifically for your rtr's but they never have dictated that we can't run them with our A Mono's and A Hydro's or as a class by themselves if there are enough to constitute a heat (3 boats). Since the 60's when I started boating there have been many classes born to the racing schedules because the guys that were interested in that style boat made it a point to get involved. HJ's Sport 40 had no home in 1970. I'm not real sure that his Scale Hydros had a home either. Now they do because people like him got involved with the existing organizations. If things progress the way you are proposing we might as well have a sanctioning body for Sport 40's, another for Jersey Skiffs, another for Sport Gas Hydros and on and on. Lets get together for the good of the many, not split up and destroy the hobby.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Jerry Dunlap

There maybe others responding to this post with more than the 42 years I have in r/c model boating, but probably not many. Over these 42 years, I've seen a lot of water flying under the transom. I'd like to think I've played a small part in creating that "water." Creating a new model boating organization is a really big task. Been there, done that. It was and still is called the APBA R/C Boat Category(or something like that). Anyway, I no longer belong to an organization which I played a major part in creating and of which I am a Hall of Fame member.

It would seem to me before any attempt is made to create a national RTR organization, there should sufficient interest on regional levels. Nothing wrong with "crawling" before "running" is attempted. Like several others who have been around this hobby for a few years, I agree that offerring a bunch of classes is simply going to dilute the product. Here's a very simple method to determine the classes - go back to the main page of this forum and take the four or five RTR boats with the most posts(which would seem to indicate interest to me). Without going back, I think those would be: Miss Vegas, ProBoat(Buds/Llumars/Elams), Top Cat, Shock Wave 36, Nitro Vee, you get the idea. Do the same thing in the Fast Electric forum. I suppose the same method could be used for Gas RTR.

O.k., I need to go back to my shop and grease the shaft on my MAC 21 OB.

JD
Old 02-02-2007, 08:27 PM
007clint

ORIGINAL: riph

You are trying to have too many classes. This is what is killing IMPBA & NAMBA. A club tries to promote a race with 17 to 20 different classes. Some classes do not make and many only have 3 boats. How much fun is it to run only three boats in a class?? It is also a chore for the host club to buy trophys. At our last race we bought 14 classes of trophys and only 5 classes made. No nitro classes made. This year we are not having a race.
I am located in Plano. Which club are you speaking for?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:54 PM
misshydro

Ron.Those boats your talking about out of china/asia company is name is the purple lights!![8D]
Old 02-02-2007, 10:22 PM
gooycheese

Tomorrow afternoon I will be going to my first club meeting which is local for me and I will just listen and explain what I have and what I would like. I am just going to try and do what ever it takes to race my boats, THIS is about racing for FUN against EQUAL opposition. Now in my case i understand I will have to race an A Class Rigger against a B class hydro " which is so far from being a fair race its crazy but is will, and I will have fun !!!! "

Just Have Fun with our Hobby

Paul
Old 02-02-2007, 10:47 PM
LES301M

For RTR racing to actually work and develop true racers -

If You are running an RTR boat, Forget about winning Your race. Your goal should be to:

1. Have a good time, involving as many family members and friends as possible.
2. Meet some veteran racers and their friends and family.
3. Learn to appreciate the work involved in putting on a race. Find out how you can help at the next event.

Secondary goals:

4. Bring the boat back in one piece. Finish right side up, No repairs required.
5. Figure out what class you want to race when you have completed 1 - 4 above.

Just my opinion. There is a whole lot more to racing boats than meets the eye.

L
Old 02-02-2007, 10:57 PM
toyotatruckin

very well said les301m...
Old 02-02-2007, 11:18 PM
misshydro

Thats true!!!! Les301m!! That why I'm putting a big block in one of my hydro boats! I'm practicing running a big block,if I can run and keep it control and get good in running it.Then I should have no proublems racing a small block hydro.By spring I should have three for sure running and working on the fourth one.I got some friend interested in R/c boats.We have a church picnic for newcomes and they have it at my friends place that has that big pond.So I'd talked to my ministers and they want me to bring the boats to the picnic.Me and acouple of my friends will put on a show and race my three boats!!Yes I will take videos of it too. A question for you guys?How much is insurance that you guys are talking about?Do you have to have insurance if you race?Like if I'd ,say at a race in chicago.Or does the entry fee includes it? I have no ida.Please explane this to me please?[&:][]
Old 02-02-2007, 11:48 PM
toyotatruckin

IMPBA is 50$ a year go to the site and they have a form to fill out....Yes you have to have insurance to run at a race...
Old 02-03-2007, 08:21 AM
gooycheese

Aren't you insured when you become a member of the IMPBA?

Paul
Old 02-03-2007, 08:30 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

Yes, it's part of the membership fee.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:37 AM
gooycheese

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !!!!

Paul
Old 02-03-2007, 09:37 AM
toyotatruckin

I was answering these two questions------

(A question for you guys?How much is insurance that you guys are talking about?Do you have to have insurance if you race?)

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

Paul
Old 02-03-2007, 09:53 AM
TomMoorehouse

When you join impba or namba you get insurance. To be able to race at a impba or namba sanctioned event you must be a member. A lot of clubs will also require you to join to be able to use the clubs pond.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Sean Bowf

I thought I read a flyer for one event that said something about a $10 one day membership, or something like that... Am I remembering wrong, or do they offer "race day" membership??

Sean
Old 02-03-2007, 10:05 AM
TomMoorehouse

the one day thing is if your a member of another orginization. like an impba member trying to race in a namba event. I believe even an ama membership will work.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:17 PM
misshydro

I like the class,but theres to many on each class.to me there alot of custer***k.alot of headaches plus I smell stink on this to from TL making profets selling their parts.[:'(] I do agree with Hydrojunkie on this too!![>:]
Old 02-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Sean Bowf

I am not speaking in favor of or against TL...but if they didn't make a profit from the hobby...then why would they sell parts at all??

I wish we had a local hobby shop that was sponsoring races, selling boat parts, etc, etc, etc...

Acting like they should not make a profit selling boat parts is like saying McDonalds should not make a profit selling burgers...it makes no sense...

Sean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.