Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

RCPBA, Classes for RTR Racers!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

RCPBA, Classes for RTR Racers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:01 PM
RedBullVegas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCPBA, Classes for RTR Racers!

Because of the rule discrepancies in the IMPBA, the RCPBA is now created. Here are the classes if you want to race your RTR at an RCPBA pond.

RCPBA
Radio Control Power Boat Association
213 Dunn Drive Trafalgar, Indiana 46181

Rules & Regulations
2007 Edition

Production RTR classes for the RCPBA. All rules and regulations are subject to change at anytime. New classes will be added shortly.
All R/C performance power boats participating in a RCPBA event must abide by the following regulations:

1.To participate in any RCPBA Event, you must be a Registered RCPBA Member. Single Event passes are available to non-members.

2.When it is announced by Race Director. All radios must be turned into the events radio compound area. Removal of your radio during event times “Unless approved by impound boss” Will be grounds for immediate disqualification.

3.Every power boat on the course. Must have a safe way to shut the boat down in case of emergency, Such as pushing the throttle forward on the radio to kill the engine. No person or recovery boat shall enter the pond when boats are running on course. Same goes for R/C boats, when recovery boat is out for pick up.

4.All R/C power boats participating in the “Stock Class” RCPBA events. Must use the “Same Fuel Rule”. All racers in this event, MUST USE the same fuel, from the same fuel container provided by the hosting club. Except in electric and gas classes.

5.All infractions given by track judges or pit bosses during a race are final. And drivers will stand out the next event for un-sportsman like conduct. And with any disputes, the losing parties will disqualified.

Nitro Class 2007
1/12 Scale 1/10 Scale

Sport 15 Hydro Class
(Proboat Miss Bud, Elam, LLumar)

Stock .15 Class
In this class the only hardware that can be changed is the prop. Everything else has to stay as it was when boxed by the manufacturer. Sanding of the hull may be done. Vertical stabilizers must be in place and not modified. Hardware may be modified by sharpening the leading edges of the rudder and turn fin only, no removing bending or cutting of manufacturers installed hardware.

Mod .15 Class
All hardware may be changed and/or modified. The hull must stay at manufacturer’s specs as far as length and width, but you may remove vertical stabilizers and wing. Engine must remain as supplied by manufacturer and can have performance up grades “Machining”, but can not exceed a .15 engine block size.

Sport 18 Hydro Class
(Aquacraft Miss Vegas)

Stock .18 Class
In this class the only hardware that can be changed is the prop. Everything else has to stay as it was when boxed by the manufacturer. Sanding of the hull may be done. Vertical stabilizers must be in place and not modified. Hardware may be modified by sharpening the leading edges of the rudder and turn fin only, no removing bending or cutting of manufacturers installed hardware.

Mod .18 Class
All hardware may be changed and/or modified. The hull must stay at manufacturer’s specs as far as length and width, but you may remove vertical stabilizers and wing. Engine must remain as supplied by manufacturer and can have performance up grades “Machining”, but can not exceed a .18 engine block size.

Super Sport 18/21 Hydro Class
(Miss Bud, Elam, LLumar, Miss Vegas)

Modified Super Sport 18 Class
All hardware may be changed and/or modified. The hull must stay at manufacturer’s specs as far as length and width. You may remove vertical stabilizers and wing. Cowling modification is accepted, but can not be changed from manufacturer’s original part.. Motor may be replaced by a .18 of choice and can have performance up grades “Machining”, but can not exceed .18 engine block size..

Unlimited Super Sport 21 Class
Any modification may be done to hull and hardware. Original cowling can be modified, but not changed. Motor may be upgraded to .21 of choice, but not exceed the .21 engine size.

Sport Cat Class
(Blackjack26)

Stock .15 Cat Class
In this class the only hardware that can be changed is the prop. Everything else has to stay as it was when boxed by the manufacturer. Sanding of the hull may be done. Vertical stabilizers must be in place and not modified. Hardware may be modified by sharpening the leading edges of the rudder and turn fins only, no removing bending or cutting of manufacturers installed hardware.

Mod .15 Cat Class
All hardware may be changed and/or modified. The hull must stay at manufacturer’s specs as far as length and width, Original cowling can be modified, but not changed. Engine must remain as supplied by manufacturer and can have performance up grades “Machining”, but can not exceed a .15 engine block size.

Sport .18 Cat Class
(MeanMachine, Blackjack 26)

All hardware may be changed and/or modified. The hull must stay at manufacturer’s specs as far as length and width. Original cowling can be modified, but not changed. Engine can be change to .18 of your choice and can have performance up grades “Machining”, but can not exceed a .18 engine block size.

Unlimited Sport Cat Class
(MeanMachine, Blackjack 26)

Any modification may be done to hull and hardware. Original cowling can be modified, but not changed. Motor may be upgraded to .21 of choice, but not exceed the .21 engine size.

Super Cat Class
(Thundercat 31)

Stock .32 Cat Class 2

Mod .32 Cat Class 2
All hardware may be changed and/or modified. The hull must stay at manufacturer’s specs as far as length and width, Engine must remain as supplied by manufacturer and can have performance up grades “Machining”, but can not exceed a .32 engine block size.
Unlimited Super Cat Class
Any modification may be done to hull and hardware. Original cowling can be modified, but not changed. Motor may be upgraded to .46 of choice, but not exceed the .46 engine size.

V-Mono Class
(Nitro Hammer)

Stock .15 Mono Class 1

Mod .15 Mono Class 1
All hardware may be changed and/or modified. The hull must stay at manufacturer’s specs as far as length and width, Engine must remain as supplied by manufacturer and can have performance up grades “Machining”, but can not exceed a .15 engine block size.

Unlimited V-Mono Class

V-Mono Class 2
(Shockwave 36)

Stock .32 V-Mono Class
In this class the only hardware that can be changed is the prop. Everything else has to stay as it was when boxed by the manufacturer. Sanding of the hull may be done. Vertical stabilizers must be in place and not modified. Hardware may be modified by sharpening the leading edges of the rudder and turn fins only, no removing bending or cutting of manufacturers installed hardware.

Mod .32 V-Mono Class
All hardware may be changed and/or modified. The hull must stay at manufacturer’s specs as far as length and width, but you may remove vertical stabilizers and wing. Engine must remain as supplied by manufacturer and can have performance up grades “Machining”, but can not exceed a .32 engine block size.

Unlimited Super V-Mono Class2
(Shockwave 36)

Any modification may be done to hull and hardware. Original cowling can be modified, but not changed. Motor may be upgraded to .46 of choice, but not exceed the .46 engine size.

Super Nitro Open Class
(All makes and Models)

(DASH FOR CASH)
This class is setup for bragging rights, cash/prizes. Basically a “Dash for Cash” class. Event holder is responsible for awarding prizes. In order to qualify for this class you must have a boat, engine and radio. This class will consist of all makes, and model RTR's, with different engine sizes. If you can fit it in your boat and it will still floats, you can race it. Float means: You can not add flotation to support larger motor. The hull must remain in stock lay up. No flotation can be added to hull, only on the inside for non-sinking purposes. Some refer to this class as experimental. This give the extreme RTR boater a place to show off his way of how the RTR should be. May the best boat and driver win.

Gas, Electric, and Air boat classes will be added later.
Visit www.RCPBA.com for the latest updates.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: RCPBA, Classes for RTR Racers!

Are you going to get some rules going for the gas classes?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:35 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OUTSTANDING , For those involved in creating this .......THANK-YOU.....
Old 01-31-2007, 12:53 PM
RedBullVegas

Ron, last line...

mopartybob, this was 10 months worth of work all rolled into one.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Kelly Miller

I can say I don't know that I would readily agree with origional engine but allow them to be "machined" for the modified class. not everyone has the capability to do that. it appears to me that most people want to modify by buying a better engine, it seems to me that telling people that the only changes you can do to the engine is actually more complex that scratch building a boat. just like the rtr boat to begin with I think people want to go to a LHS and purchase a higher performance engine and put it in the boat. although some people will still modify the inside of the engine it is certainly not be the only choice to upgrading the engine.

just my opinion.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:51 PM
330T

looks like your on the right path, hope it catches on
Old 01-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: RedBullVegas

Sport 15 Hydro Class
(Proboat Miss Bud, Elam, LLumar)

Stock .15 Class
Just picked this one out, they are all the same...but my point...to me, hardware means everything on the boat...including the radio...if this is true...wouldnt there be a lot of frequency conflicts?? Should the rules state that the radio (or at least the receiver) can be changed?? Or does "hardware" not include the radio, servos, etc??

Sean
Old 01-31-2007, 03:22 PM
RedBullVegas

ok, I can see some technical writing needs to go into this for obvious reasons.

Radio equipment should not be an issue. changing crystals is order to race in my opinion is ok. Radio/Reciever combos, well that is why it is posted here.

It does need some fine tuning.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:30 PM
mopartybob

I'm sure as soon as youz work out the "LITTLE" details,this will catch like a california wildfire,I've notified a bunch of guys that i run with and they are really receptive to this type of org.racing,(RTR),will also kick around the idea of forming a "NEW" club here in san francisco with beautiful spreckles lake in golden gate park as our venue.I don't know how other's may feel where there at ,but this is just what is needed here..........thanks again, Now i've got some organizing to do.........................
Old 01-31-2007, 04:13 PM
330T

A few quick questions.

Why would you not put together a proposal and submit it to the IMBPA instead of trying to start a whole new sanction body? As a sanctioning body, who is organizing clubs / members that will pay to be members you are opening your self to liability. Being that the sanctioning body is open to liability you will have to go out and get insurance in order for you to secure running ponds that are public.

I’m not trying to tell you what you are doing is wrong, I encourage you or anyone to form groups or clubs in order to get some form of organized racing going for the RTR boats. But I feel that reinventing the wheel to do so my be a bigger challenge then you think.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:31 PM
RedBullVegas

Thank you for your concerns. The insurance is already handled. As I first stated, this was not thrown together last night.

It would have been great to see IMPBA and NAMBA to get back together too...Or Sammy Haggar and Van Halen....but how long has that battle been going on?

Anyway, we are open to suggestions. Heck, tell the Pres of the IMPBA to give me a call, maybe we can hammer out the details for this to work together.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm not totally sold on this one. I'm sure there will be challenges about this from NAMBA, IMPBA and the APBA. Something else that has me concerned is this is being announced by someone associated with Twisted Liquid. My concern is that this is a way to drum up business, since TL sells hop up parts for the Pro Boat stuff. I also didn't see any classes for anything other than the RTR stuff, which I don't have or want. This leaves me and lots of other out since I won't pay for Pro Boat's garbage and can't see the point in buying a Vegas since I already have a Sport 40 and several scale hydros under construction. I would love it if you can prove to me that TL isn't driving this and that those of us with boats we built rather than bought would have a place to run as well. Otherwise, I can't see wasting my time looking at your website. Sorry for sounding so negative, but I'm sure others are wondering this as well
Old 01-31-2007, 09:02 PM
Grimracer

Where are the Traxxas boats and what about new boat products in the future?

I like the idea of RTR racing but this looks like allot of classes.. Besides its Ford vrs Chevy vrs Dodge that made NASCAR so great..

If one is not willing to build a better mouse trap then its a a handing they deserve.

Not only that but would you realy want to turn anybody away if they have, say..... a Cen or Traxxas hull? Not me.. way i see it no thought was given to those users..

Keep us posted.

Grim
Old 01-31-2007, 10:56 PM
saleens7

will the electric class allow for conversions from nitro to electric boats?

i was thinking of sticking a big lehner in my SW36.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Ron Olson

Mike, don't forget when AMC ran in NASCAR also! You did bring up a good point though. CEN Racing has a boat that has been sold with both a .16 and an .18 in it so which one is really legal? The Nitro-Vee has also had several powerplants over the years.
I'm certainly not trying to discourage you or anyone that is working with you but letting you know ahead of time the mess that we call RTR boats can be.
In the gas class, there should be a minimum amount of boats made to be considered RTR from a manufacturer. We have Bonzi' and Expresscraft among others in that mix.

Bob, you might want to check into the rules at Spreckles Lake. Yes, we've heard of it all the way across the US after some run-ins a few years ago with the boaters there. Attempts to set dB limits that weren't much higher than ambient noise of traffic driving by the lake. Also trying to place speed limits on the R/C boats there that a decent sailboat could break on a breezy day.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:09 AM
mopartybob

Thanks Ron,checking into it as we speak....will enlighten all ASAP for GP info....
Old 02-01-2007, 09:05 AM
RedBullVegas

Looks like some people were busy last night. I will try and do this by post:

Hydro Junkie: Challenges about this from IMPBA, NAMBA and APBA......REPLY: Always look for a challenge not many people favor change once set in their ways. These people of course are not the "A" type personality and therefore, we as a group do not want them in the RCPBA. Negativity towards others is looked down upon. It is in the mission statement and code of ethics.

Hydro Junkie: Being announced by someone associated with Twisted Liquid...REPLY: So lets say for instance, it was someone from...Oh wait...there is only one other aftermarket performance developer in the RTR industry and I will not throw him nor his product under a bus. But point is: Apparently things were not getting done post haste. So, a group of people put their ideas together and came up with a plan. A pretty good plan actually.

Hydro Junkie: TL sells hop up parts for the Pro Boat stuff..REPLY: Um, hello? Who else does? Anyone else looking out for these guys? Do you have a product line ready for the ProBoat? I didn't think so.

Hydro Junkie: This leaves me and lots of other out since I won't pay for Pro Boat's garbage and can't see the point in buying a Vegas since I already have a Sport 40 and several scale hydros under construction.....REPLY: Then why do you even care about an organization designed around a boat you don't even have or care to own? CONGRATULATIONS! You sir, are the very reason this organization was created. Thank you for worrying about YOUR boat and what YOU get to do at a pond with boats of the same.

I would love it if you can prove to me that TL isn't driving this...REPLY: Because of your last statement, I think this is null and void. Thank you.

Hydro Junkie: and that those of us with boats we built rather than bought would have a place to run as well. Otherwise, I can't see wasting my time looking at your website. Sorry for sounding so negative, but I'm sure others are wondering this as well.....REPLY: Well, where do I start with this one?
OK, taking time to look at the site. If you did, you would see a spot where is says updates. AND, the very last statement of the classes says: Gas, Electric, and Air boat classes will be added later. Visit www.RCPBA.com for the latest updates. That would most definitly answer your question if you looked past the end of your nose...typical of what we ran into 9 months ago.

Grimracer: Where are the Traxxas boats and what about new boat products in the future? REPLY: We will adapt for those. We have no problem adjusting for new boats and boats from the past. If you buy an off brand nirto or electric, you are welcome at the pond.

Grimracer: I like the idea of RTR racing but this looks like allot of classes.. Besides its Ford vrs Chevy vrs Dodge that made NASCAR so great.. REPLY: Well if this is how NASCAR started out, they now run Toyota's I see no reason we can't accept a new boat! All are welcome!

Grimracer: Not only that but would you realy want to turn anybody away if they have, say..... a Cen or Traxxas hull? Not me.. way i see it no thought was given to those users.. REPLY: I agree, we don't want to turn anyone away! Gas, Nitro, electric..heck, if someone comes up with hydrogen powered boats, well I guess we will have to make new rules!

will the electric class allow for conversions from nitro to electric boats? ..REPLY: The electric guys will write the rules for the electric classes because I do not run electric classes, I don't want to write rules for something I have no clue about. The same as the airboat guys.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:52 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

"Always look for a challenge not many people favor change once set in their ways. These people of course are not the "A" type personality and therefore, we as a group do not want them in the RCPBA. Negativity towards others is looked down upon..."

Is it? I've witnessed lots of negativity and mis-information toward NAMBA, IMPBA, and other boat racers from the person who is trying to start your new organization. In fact, that negativity is what he used to justify starting this venture. The challenges won't be because IMPBA and NAMBA don't want to change, because they are changing. The challenges will be to contradict the negativity and mis-information being spread by your organizations founder.

"I would love it if you can prove to me that TL isn't driving this...REPLY: Because of your last statement, I think this is null and void. Thank you."

Actually, it's not null and void, but it seems you don't want to answer the question, so, I will. Yes, TL is driving this.

"That would most definitly answer your question if you looked past the end of your nose...typical of what we ran into 9 months ago."

Again, I question your statemement "Negativity towards others is looked down upon".

To all. This thread has the potential to be very volatile. Open discussions are great, but they must follow RCU guidelines. Ron and I, and the community moderators, will watch it closely. If people can't stay civil, it will be shut down.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Ron Olson

I'm all for seeing a new sanctioning body coming about as we've seen 2 of them trying to get going in the airboat forum. Where we have had a problem is with one that was directly connected to a business and part of their business site. This one doesn't seem to be the case so far which makes things easier for Chuck and I.
Next, I don't know how the IMPBA would react to someone using their membership for another sanctioning body.

To everyone else, please use this thread for questions about the RCPBA and not the others like the Miss Vegas thread as it throws things off topic in there.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:42 AM
BigSlick

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Next, I don't know how the IMPBA would react to someone using their membership for another sanctioning body.
I guess I'll elaborate on my question. What do you mean by the above statement? Just curious if you are saying the RCPBA will be using the membership of the IMPBA? How so?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 12:57 PM
cmiller73

I'm a new guy to the hobby.
I see plenty of members in IMPBA and NAMBA. On any given race weekend for either association there must be plenty of racers right? My question is this, are the members that are racing at the meet, willing to allow more classes to run (if the amount of RTR boats warrants this), thus cutting their running time down for "Pro Boat garbage" or any RTR for that matter? BTW, I have 3 pieces of garbage and plan on added a few more soon. From the replies above, I see one person that would be very upset and there are most likely more. These people will not go to any meets that offer RTR classes; IMPBA will lose out on the members.
I see the RCPBA as a starting Association for IMPBA and NAMBA. Members of the RCPBA will have the opportunity to race against members of very close skill and almost identical boat design. Even if the are “inexpensive ready to run Nitro boats”, as stated by NAMBA Rep.

I don't see why there is so much finger pointing at a certain someone and making claims that these rules classes were written by them. Fact be known, they were discussed by 4 members and written by ME as they were discussed, then posted on "can't say" for other RTR owners to discuss. I ffel that with what is written so far, we have covered basically every configuration of the RTRs that are mentioned. Leaving nothing to guess.
Yes there are some Electric and Airboat RTRs that were left out. We are in the process of finding Reps to add these classes and requirements. As far as some of the RTRs mentioned that are nitro, I'm sure with a little investigating into what hardware is in these, you will see that they will be able to fit into a class.

Why is it so bad to have another association? Specifically one designed specifically for RTRs.
We have no designated club pond, no club here for that matter. I am going to build a club from the ground up. This club will include boats of all shapes and sizes. I want to hold RCPBA races separately from IMPBA, that way there is no confusion as to what classes are available. When a RCPBA event is scheduled there will only be RTRs, when a IMPBA event is scheduled all the rest of the boats are allowed.

That’s enough from me. Go race.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Kelly Miller

After a lot of thought on this I must say that anything that encourages people to gather together and race I am 100% for. If there are some areas that would benifit from a RTR only format I can say that the rules above certainly are a very good example of what would work and you could probably put a stamp of approval on them and say "this is it" but realistically you won't know 100% until they are put to use. The RTR class is so fresh that what I have encouraged is create rules that fit your area but of course if you plan on traveling a long distance it is good to know that the way you have built your boat is the way they race them. rule changes and proposals take time.

why is another association frustrating for me? I race a Vegas and several other classes. If I went to a RTR only race I would be putting all of my other boats on the shelf. I would personally choose a venue that offered them all. What happens when a RCPBA member wants to get a IMPBA or NAMBA recognized class boat? part of the issues we also face is (1) Time ,how many available weekends do we have and (2) Cost, traveling to a race is expensive. IMPBA and NAMBA are not dying by any means, they are taking note most definately of changes present in the sport of RC Boat Racing, but they are a long way away from dying. do they recognize the need to open up the box to growth..absolutely.

Realistically, and I really don't mean to be negative at all, will RTR classes that actually show up to race really clog up a IMPBA or NAMBA race schedule? perhaps in some VERY isolated areas. will there be enough interest in RTR only racing to afford starting a new organization?

As far as what classes are available depends solely on who shows up. The IMPBA rules for discussion I helped write and we wrote them to include EVERY rtr produced being able to create their own class by either manufacturer , model, engine size or hull style. we did not get specific naming all the different models because we felt that it would be too long. perhaps it needed more clarification.

As far as who puts together the rules or organization it can unfortunately open doors of bias or unbias that will cause people to question motives and it has always been accepted that they should be of neutral standing, which as far as I am concerned is not always the best or right, it is just what is accepted, the enthusiasm that you exhibit and energy put forth is great. You will have your challenges being business affiliated,someone will always question motive. I am not saying it is right or wrong and I may be saying something you don't want to hear but like forest gump said "it happens". I am also not saying by any means stop, you have something you believe in, man go with it, True leaders and organizers are the essence and the greatest need we have in this sport, get your area organized or organize a small group of people together and help bring them together with a larger one.

Hydro Junkie, I don't know if you have ever run the Vegas or not but it really is a lot of fun to drive and race. I also race a .67 road runner extreeme and I have just as much fun racing the Vegas. The FACT that it is almost 1\10th the cost of my road runner certainly was a very pleasant benifit as well.

The rules that you have posted....sure I could adapt and race to them.

Kelly Miller
Old 02-01-2007, 04:38 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: cmiller73

I'm a new guy to the hobby.
I see plenty of members in IMPBA and NAMBA. On any given race weekend for either association there must be plenty of racers right? My question is this, are the members that are racing at the meet, willing to allow more classes to run (if the amount of RTR boats warrants this), thus cutting their running time down for "Pro Boat garbage" or any RTR for that matter?
In a word, yes. Nearly every club I have talked to has said if enough boats show up to make a class, they will run. This goes for gas, electric, nitro, RTR, doesn't matter. Clubs exist for the benefit of their members. If enough mebers want to run a certain kind of boat, they run. The minimum varies by club, usually somewhere between 3 and 5. Also, there's absolutely nothing saying a person in a NAMBA or IMPBA club can't decide to hold their own RTR events.
BTW, I have 3 pieces of garbage and plan on added a few more soon. From the replies above, I see one person that would be very upset and there are most likely more. These people will not go to any meets that offer RTR classes; IMPBA will lose out on the members.
Actually, many of us in IMPBA and NAMBA will be bringing our RTR boats to IMPBA and NAMBA races offering RTR classes. We'll run those and our non-RTR boats.
I see the RCPBA as a starting Association for IMPBA and NAMBA. Members of the RCPBA will have the opportunity to race against members of very close skill and almost identical boat design. Even if the are “inexpensive ready to run Nitro boats”, as stated by NAMBA Rep.
I've learned way more by racing with and against people who were better than me than people who were at the same or lower experience level than I already had. The interesting thing about boat racing is that even though the great racers are competing against you, most of them will go out of their way to share their skills and knowledge with others. The way I get better is by being up against people who are better than me.

I don't see why there is so much finger pointing at a certain someone and making claims that these rules classes were written by them.
Actually, nobody claimed anything about who wrote the rules, the question raised was about who is driving this, and I have already answered it.
Fact be known, they were discussed by 4 members and written by ME as they were discussed, then posted on "can't say" for other RTR owners to discuss. I ffel that with what is written so far, we have covered basically every configuration of the RTRs that are mentioned. Leaving nothing to guess.
Yes there are some Electric and Airboat RTRs that were left out. We are in the process of finding Reps to add these classes and requirements. As far as some of the RTRs mentioned that are nitro, I'm sure with a little investigating into what hardware is in these, you will see that they will be able to fit into a class.

Why is it so bad to have another association? Specifically one designed specifically for RTRs.
I'm not saying it's bad, some people just wonder whether it's needed or not. Some obvious downsides are another organization introduces yet another set of rules and yet another dues payment.
We have no designated club pond, no club here for that matter. I am going to build a club from the ground up. This club will include boats of all shapes and sizes. I want to hold RCPBA races separately from IMPBA, that way there is no confusion as to what classes are available. When a RCPBA event is scheduled there will only be RTRs, when a IMPBA event is scheduled all the rest of the boats are allowed.
Cool, new clubs are great things. The great thing about this discussion is that people are excited and are out promoting boat racing, making friends, forming new clubs, finding new ponds, etc, etc, etc. No matter whether a new organization is started or new clubs are added to the existing organizations, the end result is more people running boats and having fun.

And finally, you might not know this, but there are 3 IMPBA clubs within a 2 hour drive of the place you list as home. Also, your district gas director lives with an hour of you. They would probably love to hear that you're starting a new club. Give them a shout, they might be willing to give you some help setting up your club, advice on getting started, attend your races, etc.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Sean Bowf

I know this thread is a little off track, and getting more toward discussing why, instead of the rules that were posted above...but thought 2 cents from a newb might put some things in perspective... I am just getting back into RC boats after about 20 years away from it, and have never raced them in any organized race format (though I did race EP RC cars for a few years)...

I see RTR as a good way to get folks into the hobby. It was suggested that some think IMPBA and NAMPBA are dying...well, if so, is it because folks that look into the hobby think they need to spend $2K for a boat to race in their events?? If you get a kid into the hobby for $280sh, I think this would plant a seed that might turn into them racing different types of boats some day. But you need to get them into the hobby first, and a $2k price tag might give them sticker shock and turn them away... I know if I thought I needed to spend $2k I would not be trying to get back into the hobby...

The problem I see with an RTR only organization is it would stifle growth. In short, a person would need to go to a different organization if he wanted to move away from RTR boat class racing... But I also see that within RTR there is room for a person to move up farther into the hobby...IE new motors, new mods etc...and again, this could lead someone to wanting to race something other than RTR some day.

I don't know where power boat racing is heading, but in my view it does seem to be heading away from kit building (where I started), and if the current organizations don't embrace (instead of shun) RTR racing, I can see that a new organization is needed...and if it grows in popularity, the current organizations might realize they need to embrace RTR racing...which would be better for the hobby as a whole.

The place I grew up had a large lake with a peninsula in it. I think that this would have been be a great place to hold an event... there could be two courses, one on each side of the peninsula. I guess what I am trying to say, is that if RTR is being shunned from certain events, is the reason because they don't want to add more classes/races to the schedule they already have for those classes that already exist?? If so, then it seems that an RTR only race event might be needed...or as I mentioned, a venue that allows two courses so one can hold RTR races, while the other holds the other events, and this would still allow folks to see both kinds of racing (RTR and the currrent classes).

Anyhow, like I said...just 2 cents (and a lot of rambling) from a newb.

Sean
Old 02-01-2007, 04:48 PM
dirtysouth31

i love peanut butter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.