Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

o.s. o.b. piston & sleeve

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

o.s. o.b. piston & sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:30 PM
kb guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o.s. o.b. piston & sleeve

broke in w/ 60 % , 2.5 turns out on h.s. needle per inst. no water restriction. running cold. ran 6 tanks through it. started leaning needle. ended up @ 1.5. running strong. soldered up water outlet nipple , & drilled out to .050. after 4 wot laps , only warm to the touch. removed cooling line , & ran 3 wot laps. water sizzled on head & melted out solder! took off head & button. piston has no pinch at t.d.c. anymore.wore out piston due to cold break in ? is 2.5 too rich for break in?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Sean Bowf

Default RE: o.s. o.b. piston & sleeve

I know absolutely nothing about outboards...but why did you remove the cooling line??

Sean
Old 02-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The higher the nitro, the richer that the carb has to be. Needle recommendations from any manufacturer are only starting points as there are a lot of factors that come into play depending on where you live, the weather and altitude.
With 60% nitro, you might have cooked the piston and/or sleeve. Pull them out and see how they look.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:24 PM
kb guy

because i restricted the water outlet to .050 w/o hardly any affect. i read where some guys have the lines removed to get the temp. up. so i tried it. NOOO!!! carter
Old 02-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You're in California where it doesn't get as cold as where it does like where I live. Want some 26 degree weather?
If you got it hot enough to melt the solder, you probably got it too hot.
The K&B SS OB engine is air-cooled but you have to run it slobbering rich as the fuel and oil help to keep the engine cool.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:31 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: kb guy

broke in w/ 60 % , 2.5 turns out on h.s. needle per inst. no water restriction. running cold. ran 6 tanks through it. started leaning needle. ended up @ 1.5. running strong. soldered up water outlet nipple , & drilled out to .050. after 4 wot laps , only warm to the touch. removed cooling line , & ran 3 wot laps. water sizzled on head & melted out solder! took off head & button. piston has no pinch at t.d.c. anymore.wore out piston due to cold break in ? is 2.5 too rich for break in?
It's more likely that you cooked it due to too hot a temperature. Hot enough to melt solder can't be good for the engine.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:32 PM
kb guy

ron, the piston is now loose all the way out the top of sleeve. i know i need a new piston/sleeve. i`m trying to get an idea of what temp. it should be. the only thing i`ve been told is you shouldn`t be able to hold your hand on the head for more than 2-3 sec. i don`t have a temp. gauge. CARTER
Old 02-12-2007, 08:39 PM
kb guy

ron, i know i can`t come close to you for low temp, but our low 2 weeks ago was 14. i live in cent. cal. elevation 2500 ft. the lake fills w/melted snow. the water is ice cold. amb. today was 45. CARTER
Old 02-13-2007, 06:22 AM
Peter T

I don't beleive cutting off the water completly is the answer, a restriction of some sort on the pipe where you can adjust your water flow, (act Like a thermostat ) to suit your conditions and work from there, I your case when a motor gets that hot your Lubricateing ablity breaks down and then seizure will start to occur.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:43 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IN THE COOL WEATHER AND COLD WATER THE OUTSIDE TEMP OF THE ENGINE WILL BE MUTCH COOLER THAN IN THE SUMMER, BUT THE ACTUAL COMBUSTION TEMP AND PISTON TEMP INSIDE THE ENGINE IS MUCH HIGHER OF CORSE. THE ENGINE MUST HAVE WATER FLOWING THRU IT OR YOU WILL SMOKE THE PISTON AND LINER. IF THE ENGINE IS HOT TO THE TOUCH IT IS MOST LIKELY RUNNING TO HOT. IF THE ENGINE RUNS GOOD DON'T WORRY ABOUT OUTSIDE TEMP OF THE ENGINE ESPECIALY IN ICE WATER!!!!!
Old 02-16-2007, 04:13 PM
a walk in the park

I agree with f16, if its leaned out and running good what else do you want. If you're running stock exhaust, the lack of back pressure probably won't let it build much heat. If you're running the correct pipe it will build more heat and also running the hottest plug you can get (Odonnell red) will help. Also head clearence can be a factor.

Bottom line if it's running good and cool, go have fun. That last 100 rpm can be expensive.

gh
Old 02-18-2007, 10:02 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO DA!!!!!