Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Question on what is common at races.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Question on what is common at races.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Sean Bowf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on what is common at races.

I have only been to two nitro boat races.

The first one, the judges, referees, CD (whoever all them folks were sitting behind us) kept track of who was first, second, third, etc. The pitman kept track of cut bouyees, and your laps. He/she also kept you from running into dead boats in the water by reminding you they were there, and telling you to steer wide or tight to avoid them.

During the second race I went to, they wanted the Pitman to not only keep you from hitting other boats, and all the other stuff I mentioned above, but they also wanted the pitman to keep track of what place you were at in the heat.

I was wondering what was common to most races, since I don't have enough experience to know what the "norm" is.

TIA for your input,
Sean
Old 05-08-2007, 12:00 PM
tracerbob

Default RE: Question on what is common at races.

Yes, your pit man/spotter keeps track of laps, dead boats and everything else.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:47 PM
330T

if my spotter/backer is in charge of reporting what place i came in, I'd hope i was always in first

As far as i have seen no the spotter is not to report what place you came in just reports how many laps you got in
Old 05-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Believe It
Banned

spotter/pitman is to report what place you came in, and how many cuts (if any) you had. Must also keep track of what lap you are on (hold hand in air and hold number of fingers up of laps) during the race.

Down here at least they announce over the pa where the dead boat is, but its still important for your spotter to let you know where dead boats are, what lap you are on, etc.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am commonly the CD at District races at our club site. I expect the pit man to keep a stop watch time on your boat (time from the start horn to when your boat crosses the finish line). I also expect him to count laps and indicate such with his hand held up with fingers extended in accordance with the number of laps you have completed. He should also be watching the water in front of your boat so he can warn you of any problems that may be coming up. I know IMPBA doesn't use time for races but NAMBA does and it's a great way to iron out issues over who was first, second, third etc. Sometimes you just can't tell when there is a lot of activity on the course.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:19 PM
topfuel4430

I am also a CD for IMPBA and we use pit men as the place keepers, along with the spotter who try to keep an eye out for finishing spots.

~James
Old 05-10-2007, 12:53 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've only seen pitmen use at races. The person should know you and how you drive. When I pit for my son, he says that I talk too much.
The only place that I've seen stopwatches used was a FE race.