Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Nitro fuel questions.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Nitro fuel questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Asahi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro fuel questions.

I'm still looking for a good fuel to start out with for my new AquaCraft Miss Vegas. I want something that will be good for breaking the engine in and also won't be too much of a hassle tuning in a warm, humid climate. From what I've read I can go as high as I want on the nitro (be at least 30%+) but I also thought that may give me tuning issues if I go too high? Is the higher nitro % OK for new engines? Does higher nitro % lower oil %? Spending an extra buck or two on a quart(s) isn't that big of a deal, I want the best I can get for my engine. Is the O'Donnell 65% overkill? What's the difference between the O'Donnell standard and 'Racing' fuels given the same % of nitro? Does higher nitro % effect run time? I buy most of my stuff from Tower Hobbies and it looks as if they don't have some of the brands I see mentioned. Any other good online retailers for fuels and accessories?

Thanks again for all of the input everyone has given me on my new MV.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:56 PM
misshydro

Default RE: Nitro fuel questions.

I'm running 33% nitro and 18% oil.Theres one guys who's running 35% and 18% getting about 40 mhp out of his miss vegas and adjusted his strut 1/2 from center of the shaft to boat bottom. I was told not to go over 50% or other wise the 65% might shorten you motor life. So told stay between 30%-50% nitro. Odonalds is a good fuel.Some guys are running wildcat or sidewinder. Where I live there's no boat fuel,For the time being I'm running traxxas fuel.Buying by quarts But I have to add caster oil. 5oz to one quart of that fuel and it will boost my oil content to 18-19%.I'm going to check in Decader IN with two hobby shops and see if they have boat fuel.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Dan S

I know I gave you some answers on an other thread, but one thing that I didn't mentionned.

it is recommended that you break in your engine with fuel that you entend to run, MissHydro can probably agree with me on that one.

Now, I'm not saying that you can't break in the motor on 30% and later switch to 40%, you can still do it, the thing is that if you break in with 30% and a few gallons later decide to switch to 40% you will have to do an other break in, not as many tanks as your original break in, just 2 or 3.

The same goes if you decide to lower your Nitro%.

Give a call to WildCat, they are very friendly and helpfull, they will tell you the price and give you a quote depending on how many gallons you would like to buy.

You can get WildCat Promix from 20 to 65% Nitro.

I live in Canada and we ordered our Fuel from WildCat in the US, we ordered 28 Gallons and with the exchange/shipping and HAZMAT fee it came to $30.00 Cdn. That for us is a pretty good price, we had the choice, I could have ordered the fuel right here in Montreal but for the same amount each Gallons would have cost us $42.00 Cdn. Thats a major difference.

Again, O'donnell, Red Max and WildCat are very good fuel and the Promix is race proven by Jerry Dunlap. Thats only to name a few.

its not the Nitro content that lowers or raise the oil%, but the company that makes the fuel.

Dan.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Asahi

Thanks for the input,

It sounds like the WildCat Promix 45% would be a good fuel to start and stick with. Good quality fuel, medium range nitro %. I could probably stick with the O.S. #8 plugs as well. I might be pushing it with 65%. I've read that they use Klotz in their fuels. I've had good results with Klotz in my dirtbikes. Now if I could just find someone online or local (Tampa, FL) that sells Promix, I'd be set.

Thanks again.