Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Lamborghini C-1 CAT

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Kyosho Lamborghini C-1 CAT

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:22 PM
ad1069

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho Lamborghini C-1 CAT

I have recently bouoght the Kyosho Lambo C-1 CAT in the UK. I have read many of the reviews, and appreciate that generally, the opinion of this boat is poor!

This is my first such venture into the world of model nitro boats and I must say I am having a little difficulty. I share many of the views posted on here, in that the quality is less than what you might expect. I will not be using the boat to race in a club, it is purely recreational. I understand that it is not the quickest boat on the market for the money although feel that, having seen quoted figures, it will be quick enough for me!

However!!! I just cant get the thing running at any sought of speed. When i put it in the water and open the throttle the pitch of the engine increases dramatically as the RPM increase but the boat doesn't go any faster - I'm talking walking speed. Every now and again it jumps forward slightly but it simply wont gain speed!!!

I have sought advice from the shop where i bought it and I have been informed that the boat is "puddling". The screw is spinning in essentially a bubble of air behind the boat and as such wont 'bite' the water and consequently wont propel it. I was advised that the boat, being a CAT design, is designed to be thrown in the water nose slightly up. I tried this and the boat did go faster for a few seconds but quickly slowed down again. I have played about with the stabalising fins at the back and the position of the screw in the water but still no joy.

I am using the screw supplied although am in the process of getting a carbon fibre one.

I have tried everything i can think of. Can anyone help me make my boat go quicker? I've heard it should manage speeds in the mid 20's mph but i'm not even getting above 5 - litterally!

Any suggestions?? (Other than sell quicky and buy a decent one!!)

Cheers
Old 06-12-2007, 02:05 PM
saleens7

Default RE: Kyosho Lamborghini C-1 CAT

the strut may be too high and there isnt enough prop in the water...it sounds like your cavitating...
Old 06-12-2007, 02:06 PM
330T

Though i've never seen the boat here are a few items to look at.

Lower the prop (if you can) as far as it will go into the water. You can only do this if you have an adjustable strut.
Make sure the prop does not spin on the prop shaft, or that the shaft spins without the motor spinning. You could have a busted flex shaft, or a loose flex shaft coupler.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:32 PM
ad1069

perhaps a daft question......whats cavitating???
Old 06-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Dan S

when your prop is no longer displacing water to make your boat go forward, The prop is spinning at a too high rpm with almost no forward motion creating air pockets, so instead of the blade trying to displace the water and push the boat your spinning air.

So ensure you do give a good toss, I mean a GOOD toss when launching the boat, stay in a straight line don't try turning either directions just after the launch.
Try not to go full throttle just after the launch as you may end up with the same results and going 5 mph, it doesn't work for every setup, but bleep the throttle instead, this will help the prop to stay hooked and it will prevent cavitation, gradually increase your throttle and the next thing you know your having fun.

Do check your setup like the guy's mentioned above.

Dan
Old 06-12-2007, 02:59 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dan s is correct,his definition of cavitation=puddling....lol.....as the others have stated try those remedies,also be sure your "flex shaft" is greased with a high quality marine bearing grease as most "new boats" need it right out of the box, I'm betting all will be good when you get a better prop on it...good luck and don't forget to blue loctite all metal-metal screws....... I just looked at the kyosho site and found that this is a solid shaft/outdrive design.....hhmmmm,unique thing is it comes in 3 sizes.....15,.21,and a 28 !!! which size did you get???
Old 06-12-2007, 11:37 PM
misshydro

I saw one on ebay for sale and talk to the guy about it. That.21 if it has that motor is junk!!![:'(] The.21 is a team infinity and they dont put out much power and your boat is the big one,over 30" long.The guy put a.32 in it.[&:]I'd told him that you can find a.21 or .28 that puts out more hp and rpms then that .32 and the stock.21!! This is the reason why your boat only does 20 mhp beacuse your stock motor doesnt have enough guts to make that big boat hull a**!!![>:] You want a motor to have 2.5 hp or more and rpms 35.000 - 40.000 rpms is better that will make your boat fly!!
Old 06-13-2007, 05:12 AM
Woodmandan2

Try lowering the prop and also give it a freally good toss, one of my friends nitro mono's would not go if i didnt give it a good fast trow into the water, and as the others have said do not go full throttle after being tossed. Also when you toss it in I have got the best performance with half throttle toss, and then straight and then slowly get up to more speed.
Dan
Old 06-14-2007, 06:41 AM
ad1069

I got the .21 mate. I didnt realise others were available.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:41 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the .28 cat retails for................699.00...yikes!..[:'(]
Old 06-14-2007, 04:48 PM
misshydro

You need to get rid of the.21 and upgrade it to a powerfull .21 or .28!![8D] How long is your boat?! Like I said before that .21 infinty is junk not enough power and rpms top rpms is 28.000 and 1.8hp on that motor!![:'(]
Old 06-30-2008, 03:51 PM
moorlander1

Location: ukKeighley and District Model Engineering Society, UNITED KINGDOM

i have the .28 version with frp hull.it was a pain in the rear end to set up the engine.which now goes like crazy..it really flies......only drawback is the kyosho prop...it keeps shearing off the blades and then the next problem is getting a new one. The parts are sourced from France so take weeks to arrive !! Plan ahead !
I would like to replace the plastic out drive with a cnc rudder and stringer but dont know if I need to replace the rigid drive shaft ??? Any ideas ( i dont really want to start hacking awaythe epoxy around the drive shaft to fit a new tube and flexi shaft !!
Only other parts fitted are a Volt spy to keep an eye on the receiver batts, a failsafe ( best thing to stop it running away ! ) and a fuel filter.

I am also thinking of fitting a water proof air filter to reduce the spray of unburnt fuel on initial start up. The radio box is also next on the list - The kyosho one is very brittle and leaks !!

sc
Old 06-30-2008, 04:53 PM
moorlander1

i wish that we in the UK could purchase parts and spares for boats from the US .......the postage / customs are way too much !!! bah humbug !!
Old 06-30-2008, 09:46 PM
misshydro

well the same goes here when we buy stuff off of you boys in the UK.[:@] AU is cheaper then you guys.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:26 AM
moorlander1

i will have to look at the Oz shops / suppliers..........never thought about buying from Australia !!

sc