Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

TC31: First Run Probs

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

TC31: First Run Probs

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:18 AM
SmattaHead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC31: First Run Probs

So, my TC31 took it's first run yesterday, and, as expected, I had some issues:

NO water the the head-I tried running a water line to the water pick up when I first started the boat out of the water, and no water getting picked up. I also ran about a tank full through the motor, three short runs of about a third of a tank each, and never any water going to the head. I ended up running the boat without the canopy because the one time that I ran with canopy it wasn't running well (air cooling?). Anyways, no water to head on any runs. I checked the lines for head water (both incoming and outgoing lines) for blockage, but no blockage. I don't understand what gets the water to the head (maybe suction from the piston?). Not sure how to correct this problem.

Also, lost the L-shaped bracked in the rear that the canopy thumbscrew secures to-it rattled off somewhere in the ocean.

Never really had throttle control-every time I tried to take the glow plug ignitor out, the boat stalled. So, I turned up the fine idle on the hand controller to high. The boat came off the glow ignitor, but did not respond to throttle. So, basically, all my runs were short and were in idle the whole time. I am guessing this can be adjusted by leaning the carb out a bit, but I thought it too early for that.

I am going to give it another run today. Any suggestions on water intake and carb?
As for the canopy bracket, I plan to contact the MFG tomorrow about getting a replacement, and need to figure out a solution for holding the canopy on temporarily.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Fast Guy

Default RE: TC31: First Run Probs

You won't get any water to the head until you get some speed up.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:02 AM
jmshark

Don t lean you re on break-in the first 3 tank i didn t touch any screw and put you re boat in the water no pump on this boat.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The engine dying after taking off the ignitor is a sign of a lean engine so don't turn that needle in but out instead.
Somebody else gave you the same advice that I gave you in your PM that I replied to.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:21 PM
fun4ej
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TC31 book calls for the needles to be 2.5 turns out from fully closed. That is a good starting place. As for idle, the carb slide should be around 16th open...this is so you can kill the motor by pushing the throttle back. Of course these are all general parameters as everyone's motor will act differently.

The TC31 does not have a waterpump so you will not see any water going through the cooling system until the boat gets up on plane. It is a force system. The boat will plane fairly easily...it's a good idea to give the boat a good throw when putting it in the water, just so it won't cavitate while trying to get it up on plane and possibly overheat the motor during break-in.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:43 PM
SmattaHead

Thanks for the input. I will take your advice and give it another try.

Did not run today-got out there with all the stuff ready to go, but too windy. Annisquam River was even too windy, which is the most protected place around.

Perhaps run again tomorrow afternoon, then give an update.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:22 PM
gooycheese

If you are running in salt water you really need to flush that water system out after every day on the water and pretty much totally wash everything , the salt water is terrible for it.

Paul