Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 Boat storage?? >

Boat storage??

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Boat storage??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat storage??

There was a recent post here about a person that left his boat in the heat, and it wound up cracking a little. I think the boat was ABS, but can't remember for sure.

Anyhow, this brings the question to mind, is leaving our boats out in the garage going to cause damage over time? I live in Texas, and temps over 90s are real common, and we normally have temps over 100 a couple weeks in a row in the summer here (so temps over 100 are not uncommon). The sun sets on the front of my house (where my garage is), so I would think that when it is over 100 outside, that it is even hotter in my garage.

Are these kinds of conditions going to hurt a fiberglass hull like the one on the MV? Looking to find a 40s mono now...would hate to get all these boats, leave them out in the garage, then one day realize I ruined them all.

TIA for your input,
Sean
Old 07-28-2007, 06:41 AM

Default RE: Boat storage??

Up for the weekend crowd...
Old 07-28-2007, 08:17 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I think that they're sleeping in today Sean.
My boats stay in the basement so they're not exposed to extreme weather but I kind of look at it from another angle wihch is other things made of fiberglass, everything from truck caps to Corvette's.
ABS I'd be a little more concerned about as I repaired one OB tunnel hull using a blow dryer so hot temps in a garage or metal shed might warp one of those.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:45 AM

Sean - Good Question. A 1 degree warp somewhere (especially on hydro sponson) would make a big difference.

Also, my wife is not going along with my boats in the living room as 'conversation pieces' either!
Old 07-29-2007, 12:11 PM

I have my boat in the basement also. I just felt that it was safer due to the heat out here in Georgia. Second I could just see someone breaking into my garage and walking away with it, so thats how I won the argument with the wife of having it inside the house.

STeve
Old 07-29-2007, 12:15 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't store fuel outside either as heat is one of the worst things for it.