Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

MissVegas

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MissVegas

Hi all,

It is my understanding that Russ Williamson Won US1 in Sport 20 Class at the IMPBA Nationals, with a modded Miss Vegas...............Congradulations Russ !!!!!!

Now the question is should anything but a stock Vegas be considered a RTR? I understand Russ was running a OS .21 in the Vegas. I agree at a club level there should be classes that can do as they see fit in classes, but at a IMPBA or NAMBA level I honestly don't think there should be a class added for the MissVegas RTR's. There are too many people racing this boat in sport 20 all over the country and competing and doing well. Don't get me wrong I love RTR's I have one myself and I love it, but this is just a thought. Ya know atleast in this country there are only a handful of clubs running RTR classes that I personally know of and the rest of the country races in sport 20, it sorta is a disappointment to everyone that cant race a RTR in a RTR class.

Just a Thought,

Paul
Old 08-06-2007, 10:53 AM

Default RE: MissVegas

Paul...couple points I have...

First is that a real sport 20 hydro is going to be a 50+MPH boat. The MV, especially in its stock form, will not go 50+. From what I have seen, most folks don't even have them tuned to go over 30MPH. So, to race a stock MV in sport 20 would be nothing more than just showing up to run your boat.

Second, this is the second time I have seen it mentioned that Russ won sport 20 in a MV (Grats Russ!!). I have not seen his boat, but I would imagine there were mods done to the hull outside of just stuffing a .21 in it. And, if there was, this could mislead the general public...because folks are going to think they can just put a .21 in their MV and be competitive at a national level in the sport 20 class. I wish this was true, but don't think it is...

I think the MV is a great little boat. I also really like the RTR classes because it allows folks to get their feet wet at a competitive level in the RC boat racing world, without spending a bunch of money. This would be in contrast to racing the MV in the sport 20 class. You would need to spend the $280 on the MV, another $250sh on a .21 engine, plus need to know a bit about tuning a boat, and modding (at least adding weight) to a boat to get it to run stable with the .21 in it. I would think you would have at least $600 in the boat.

I think the RTR stock class is a good starter class, especially for races that don't have either a novice class, or a juniors class. But I also think it should be a stepping stone for moving on to other classes.

And last...I don't think the MV is legal in NAMBA as a sport 20 class boat. My understanding is that their rules state the strut must be under the boat (like a proboat).

Sean
Old 08-06-2007, 12:40 PM

Guys,

I can give you some info on the boat Russ won with..

The boat uses a Vegas hull without the wings… the boat has no adding sheeting or anything like that.

The boat was setup by Jerry D a year or so ago. Jerry put in ½†engine rails and a Speedmaster motor mount and strut. Its stuff he has laying around.

OS VZM 21 (Stock)
Brown Parabolic pipe (long)
3/16 shaft
Vegas Rudder and bracket
Home built JD water box
3rd channel needle

Russ’s boat was running

Grimracer 40X52/3 (bag)
65% O Donnell fuel
O Donnell Red dot plug
Futaba 3pk radio (fast)

Now you have the story on Russ’s nats boat.

Also.. Paul dude.. hope you are well.... There have been a few RTR races around the country but all of those have been 18 powered or the size that came in the boat. From what I understand if the boat came with an 18 then it must use an 18 in the RTR class. If it came with a larger engine it then races with that larger engine… having said that that is not the case with the smaller engine boats. It is my understanding that a 15 powered boat can run a 18..
Old 08-06-2007, 02:03 PM

"JD home built water box?" What's that about? Yeah, I know the line, "Hey Dunny, there's a little radio in your waterbox."

JD
Old 08-06-2007, 03:04 PM

Russ That great!! I would like to see this vegas you got?!
Old 08-06-2007, 03:05 PM

I make water boxes too

Paul
Old 08-06-2007, 04:18 PM

Grim, that is actually a lot LESS modding than I figured was done. I would have figured something would need to be done to strengthen the hull (other than the stringers). Mainly left to right, not front to back.

Leaves a lot of promise for upgrading with the hull.

Any weight added??

Sean
Old 08-06-2007, 04:53 PM

aha... I dont think any weight was added.. Thinking.. Im sure no weight was added...

Mike
Old 08-06-2007, 05:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Grimracer

aha... I dont think any weight was added.. Thinking.. Im sure no weight was added...

Mike
Not only was no weight added, no animals were harmed during the time of modification.

JD
Old 08-06-2007, 06:12 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sean Bowf

Grim, that is actually a lot LESS modding than I figured was done. I would have figured something would need to be done to strengthen the hull (other than the stringers). Mainly left to right, not front to back.
Sounds like you've been reading too many reports from someone who keeps insisting that the hull won't last unless the inside is coated with epoxy and painted.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:10 PM

Yes theres weight add!! a bigger motor!!LOL!!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:53 PM

Oh I forgot are you aloud to to mods on you motor in the spot 20 class?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Sean Bowf

Sounds like you've been reading too many reports from someone who keeps insisting that the hull won't last unless the inside is coated with epoxy and painted.
No piper, I personally have seen two of them cracked in the front...one of them is in my house... And this is with .18s installed (the one in my house has only had a stock 18 in it).

There is a lot of things I hear...and don't believe until I see them for myself.

EDIT: Check this out [link=http://media.putfile.com/Miss-Vegas-cracked]CLICK HERE[/link]

Sean
Old 08-06-2007, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: misshydro

Oh I forgot are you aloud to to mods on you motor in the spot 20 class?
Yes. But, I think the only mod to the O.S. VZM Russ runs in the boat is replacing the VZM carb with the O.S. OB carb.

JD
Old 08-07-2007, 06:34 PM

Ok another question? That sport 20 class,that only for.21? or are you aloud to run.21-.28?[&:] I ready would like to run a .25- .32 maybe?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:59 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok another question? That sport 20 class,that only for.21? or are you aloud to run.21-.28?[&:] I ready would like to run a .25- .32 maybe?
The short answer is that .21 is at the upper end of the engine class so .25-.32 is not allowed. Guess that's why they named it Sport 20 instead of sport 32. For more information, I suggest looking at the rule books. You can find the NAMBA rules at http://www.namba.com . Click on the resources link. The IMPBA rules are at http://impba.net/ . Look for the rulebook link on the left hand side.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:28 PM

Would love to post some photos but the Vegas is in Northern Wis. at this time. Richie R. going to be racing it at the Mendota, IL Minute Breakers Race, which unfortunately I cannot get too....bummer. The Vegas hull has been around the country....

It is a stock hull, no weight added. Dunny installed new formers for the engine mount and new stuffing tube. Using different strut, stock Miss Vegas rudder. Grim 20 hydro turn fin, plus the other items Grim mentioned. The 40x52/3 Aqu/Grim prop worked great!

Rw

Russ That great!! I would like to see this vegas you got?!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 PM

when you get that vegas back!! Please post some good pics of it!!
Old 08-09-2007, 08:43 PM

I will be at the Mendota race if I see it I will take some pics if nobody minds

Paul
Old 08-09-2007, 08:48 PM

same here, i plan on gettign some measurements of the boat also, as far as teh engine rails and whatnot go. I will be pitted with Grim, or near him, so im sure that Richie will be right there also. So the boat should be within reach for photos and such, paul.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

I will be at the Mendota race if I see it I will take some pics if nobody minds

Paul
The builder of the boat doesn't mind. I rather imagine Russ would be ok with someone else taking and posting the photos rather than him.

JD
Old 08-09-2007, 10:17 PM

I would post them as race day pics here so people could see what Russ used to win US1.

Congrats again Russ !!!!!

Paul
Old 08-18-2007, 10:22 PM

Hi all ,

I mentioned I would get pics of the US1 MissVegas that Russ Williamson Won with here they are, I didn't get to see this boat run (it races on Sunday and I wont be there but I did get pics).

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21482.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	744802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72698.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	744803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18847.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	744804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29083.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	744805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv16168.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	744806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy33926.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	744807  
Old 08-18-2007, 10:44 PM

that thing is just awesome , i would imagine it is very competitive in the class, what is the speed it has attained? i would imagine high 50's? also any idea on props for something like this?
Old 08-19-2007, 08:58 AM

Paul, what is the white thing under the fuel tank?? It looks like styrofoam, but it looks like it has some eyelets screwed into it to hold down the fuel cell. Is it painted wood?

Sean

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.