Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Break-In Bench?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Break-In Bench?

Old 08-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Custom Trendz Inc.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break-In Bench?

I remember reading on some site(forgot it now) that you can make some sort of setup at home to tune your boat, or even break it in if you don't have constant access to a lake. Can someone tell me how to make this? Or a place that has a how-to about it? I think modelgasboats had it buy their site is down . I want to break in my thundercat31 but cant go to the lake this week. This setup had some hoses attached to it(watercool) and all that stuff just like the boat is on the water.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:42 PM
jdoug

Default RE: Break-In Bench?

Just say "NO" to bench tuning. ...and break it in when you get to the lake.

To many RPM's without a load = Kaboom
Old 08-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Custom Trendz Inc.

cant u like put the boat itself in a large tub and break it in then? If not ill just go to the lake, any tips on breaking in a engine from a thundercat? I will be running sidewinder 40%.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:05 PM
webdr

Well if you put it in a tub, theres no forward momentum to push water through the cooling lines (unless the pickup is directially behind the prop)

I broke-in my proboat on the bench. I filled a gallon jug with water and hooked a tube from the jug to the water intake and put a valve inline. That way, I can limit the water flow.

I then ranthe boat at high idle with no water until it hit 200 and then opened the valve so it went back down to 135. I cycled it that way through 4 tanks and thats it!
Old 08-14-2007, 03:28 PM
misshydro

I did that with my boats! I'd fill my bathtub with water and do a quick tune in,so I can finish breaking in the boat that the pond.[8D]I run my boat and hit the throtle three times at three seconds at full throtle and see if the boat dies out,if so I'd adjust the highspeed needle to alittle richer and do that over again untill it quits dieing on me.Then I'm ready to break the motor in at the pond. This posses that I'd done helps me on less boat dies outs=les boat retrival=more fun=more run times!!
Old 08-14-2007, 03:44 PM
jdoug

All I did with a new OS .18 was start it on the bench and gave it a tiny throttle blip. I was then sure I'd be able to start it and run it when I got to the lake. Once at the lake, start it again, blip the throttle very slightly a few times and gave it a toss onto the water while throttleing up. Did a few laps varying throttle and brought it in before it ran out of gas. Filled it up and did it again. Repeat until heat cycling is complete. Then I tuned it for performance.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Dan S

Break in is done at the pond or the lake, not in the bath tub not on the bench, engine has to be ran with a load on the prop. Same thing as a real full size boat, doing it differently is running after trouble and there is quite a good number of people that have experience problems because of it.

Think about it fellows, if it was a good way to do it wouldn't it be part of the manual in the break in methods?

Dan.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:53 PM
webdr

Just out of curiosity, and believe me im not fighting you on the issue, but why would an engine need the load on it when breaking it in? The whole idea of the break-in is for the piston to seat into the sleeve via heating and cooling, so load or not, the task gets accomplished, right?

Also, what negative effects have happened from breaking in a boat in a bench?
After my break-in on a bench, I pulled the piston and sleeve and everything was squeaky clean. I never over revved the engine, just short blips to clear it out.

Again, Im asking this out of curiosity, as Ive not heard of negative results from breaking in an engine w/o a load on the crank.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Because it will seat differently with a load than without. Most engines broken in without a load will fail in half the time a loaded engine will. You have to look at the conrod as well. It won't react the same unloaded as it will with a load on it. Save yourself a headache and just go to the lake and do it right the first time. The ones here that say they did it and it worked fine were the lucky exceptions to the rule
Old 08-14-2007, 07:19 PM
webdr

thanks, I didnt think it mattered and now I know it does.....
Old 08-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Dan S

Don't get me wrong guy's, some people have had great success breaking-in on the bench but the majority of them knew exactly what they were doing.

Look at any major RC sites (boats) K&B, CMB etc... all of there break-in instructions are somewhat similar and all done under load (running in a pond or lake).

If you have been around RC for a long time and you know what your doing and are confident doing it, then more than likely there wont be any problems.

But for the other majority that are just starting into boating why take the chance? your motor may not break on the bench but if at anytime during the break-in you did something wrong without even knowing you did, your engine may fail after just a few tanks and then we wonder whats wrong with the motor.

I have ran the original Aqub for 1 1/2 season with the same bearings and P/L, my P/L failed because of a mistake I made (running too lean). My CVR-M as had one bearing replaced so far this year and I'm on gallon #6.

any ways are good, if you know what your doing, I just don't recommend bench breaking to someone new.

Dan.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:00 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess if you are realy bent on bench running an engine you could put an iv bottle and thro on an airplane prop, but of corse the loads will be diferent than a marine prop.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:47 PM
ChiliConCarter

MISS HYDRO,I cannot believe you could run your boat in a bathtub!!!!! I tried tuning mine out side under a carport with a water supply to it and it took about twenty secs. of running and my ears were sreaming STOP!!!! even with earplugs it still was noticable" so how in the world did you run one indoors?" and I wonder what did your neighbors think was going on ????? Glad to see your comments back on line,yours and "SOME" others have been helpful while trying to get my boat running correct.I say SOME because not all have been.PS. I did partially break my TC31 in with just a water line to cool it and running less than half throttle and that was last spring and it still runs good today!!!
Old 08-17-2007, 02:21 PM
speed8
My Feedback: (7)

I tried the bench break in and could not hear for 2 day my ears where ringing so bad.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:17 PM
jdoug

The noise is one thing, but the exhaust fumes nitro puts out are incredibly irritating.

I wonder if the people using bench break in do the same with their cars or trucks. Lets say the dealer says to baby it for 500 miles. Under the logic that the bench break in users use they would just have to put there truck up on blocks, throw it gear, and put stick on the gas pedal.