Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Aeromarine hull with a Rossi .90 engine

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Aeromarine hull with a Rossi .90 engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:42 AM
tombo001967

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeromarine hull with a Rossi .90 engine

I bought an Aeromarine cat a couple of weeks ago and have some questions about the engine and fuel tank setup.

The boat is not complete so I am doing the finish work and set up.

The engine that came with the boat is a Rossi .90. I plan on running 30% fuel in it. The good news is, the engine has never been ran. I think I will be OK with this for break in. I don't plan on racing so I am not planning on using a higher percentage of nitro. Does anybody know where I should be at as far as needle settings for break in?

I also plan on running duel tanks because of where the engine is and the frame work in the hull. I see that I can use the "vent" on the second tank as the inlet from the primary tank. Does anybody have any better ideas? I would like to pull from both tanks at the same time because of weight distribution, but I don't see how that will work efficiently, The boat came with dual 12 oz tanks, but I was thinking about upgrading to 24 oz tanks. I have been told these engines LOVE their fuel!

The last thing I am concerned about, is the cooling. I have three cooling areas. The top of the cylinder head, the cylinder itself, and the header pipe. The guy I bought the boat from was planning on using one pickup to cool all three. I am concerned that this might not be enough. I want to add a second pickup. The question is, should I add a second pickup, or run a single? Also, how should I route the cooling lines? Do I use a tee or run everything in a series?

I appreciate any input you guy's have.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:42 PM
FlogginHarvey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aeromarine hull with a Rossi .90 engine

Saw this old post and thought I would pop a line. If you are looking please check your PM's as well.

I have an old Prather (from the '80's) my dad and I started with a Rossi .90 as well that had not been run...still hasn't. I was able to track down some one (forgotten now) at Speedmaster that used to rce these old motors. They have since been discontinued and I have not had any luck getting replacement part source just in case.

Speedmaster is RossiSales now...(or maybe always was?) http://www.rossisales.com/

CMDi is great at service and knowledge in my experience so far...http://www.cmdracing.com/updated/main.htm

If you shoot me an e-mail [email protected] I will dig through some very old notes and see what I have...

Trey

Old 01-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Aeromarine hull with a Rossi .90 engine

This is one that I missed way back when so hopefully he has figured it out by now or gotten his answers.
First, don't try to draw from both tanks at once. Your best bet is to empty the left (port) side tank first. Run your fuel pressure line ot that tank through the vent line then the line out from that tank to the starboard vent line then to the carb.
You'd be better off with a dual pick-up rudder, one line for the engine then the other to cool the exhaust.

As far as the other questions, I'm not into big-block engines so I'm no help there but the 30% fuel will be fine. A little rule of thumb is that the larger the engine, the lower the nitro percentage.