Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

SV27 drive shaft...

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

SV27 drive shaft...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:51 PM
suprapilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SV27 drive shaft...

Hello..

Today i was at the lake again..it was perfect..lake was flat as can be and the temps were good outside...

So before i got to the lake i greased the drivse shaft with the grim racer speed grease and went on my way.

I tuned the boat and got 2 flawless runs in..

So the 3rd try I start the baot and I notice that the drive shaft is walking itself out as the boat is running, so i shut the boat down, loosen the collet and push the drive shaft back in and retighten the collet all the way down.
I start the boat and check to see if the shaft is moving and it seems to be good...Soo I launch the boat and within 10 feet it stopps moving but the engine is still running...I shut it down and retreive the boat and i notice that the drive shaft is hanging half way out of the strut, luckily it didnt fall to the bottom and i would have lost my metal GR prop along with it..
So im thinkin ill just put it back in and get right back out on the water, but when i picked up the boat, the flex shaft just fell out, it was completely sheered in half..I got about 5 inches out with the prop and the rest is still in the stuffing tube (i am guessing)

So i have already ordered a new shaft and drive dog..
I am wondering if anyone has any tricks to help me get the rest of the old drive shaft out fo the boat.
Also does anyone know why this would happen..I always grease the shaft before/after every time at the lake.
I had another sv27 before this one and it also happeend on that one too but the shaft broke in a different spot...

Is this a common problem or am I the only one...I did put a little more grease then usual this time. Could this have casued the shaft to break??
BTW if it matters my strut is set at the neutral position so there wouldnt be anymore stress on the drive then usual. I do have the 2 blade prop which bites pretty hard so that might put a little more stress on the shaft, but I cant see why they would keep breaking if they are properly greased.

Thanks in advance

Anthony
Old 11-13-2008, 08:12 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SV27 drive shaft...

Are you leaving a 3/16'' gap between prop drive and strut bearing when you tighten the collet? If not you will have more shaft trouble. Remove the engine with the flex shaft stiil in the collet and draw it out of the tube, make sure you clean out the tube and check the condition of the inside.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:21 PM
suprapilot

^^^ yup i always leave the 3 mm gap ...damn i was gonna see if there was a way to do this without removing the engine...i was thinkin possibly if I removed the radio box i could get to the shaft and pull the rest out

BTW i can take pics, but it looks like the shaft just twisted and snapped...WHen I snapped the first drive shaft on the previous sv27 i was using marine grease, but not the speed grease (idk if there is any difference) and i thought that had something to do with it. So with the new sv27 I used nothing but gr speed grease and it still happened..and this boat is pretty new..I havent even used a whole gallon of nitro yet
Old 11-13-2008, 04:32 PM
black talon
My Feedback: (5)

are you using a teflon liner?maybe it's chewed up inside and binding.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:41 PM
suprapilot

^^^^ the boat is totally stock except for the 2 blade metal prop i have (which luckily i didnt loose)
So i think its brass or something..I could be wrong but im pretty sure its metal...

Old 11-14-2008, 07:40 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a little more gap , it's posible that the new prop is winding the cable up a little more than the stock prop. Also make sure your engine is lined up to the stuffing tube, any mis alignment there will start a whip efect on your flex cable and break it , It has to slip into the tube easy and slip right into the collet with no help to line up.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Grimracer

What two blade GR prop are you using?

Truth is the only 2 blade we sell that is going to work on that boat is the 40X53.

If the boat is bouncing allot on the water you can break a shaft.

Make sure you remove the shaft, dry it and lube it before you put it back in the boat for overnight storage. If the shaft gets any rust on it this can weaken the shaft.

Grim
Old 11-14-2008, 12:16 PM
suprapilot

^^^ yup im using the 40x53 prop...other then that the boat is completely stock...the water was pretty flat when the shaft broke and it had fresh grease on it...I did get lazy and i greased the shaft before i used it and not after the previous use...

Ill have to check the alignment, but i know the shaft was easy to put in and out so it prob is aligned correctly...

so anyone have any other easy ways to get the rest of the shaft out of the boat first??