Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

good first time nitro boat?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

good first time nitro boat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good first time nitro boat?

i WAS looking into electric boats but i cannot STAND messing with the batteries..

wats a good starter boat new or used under 225? RTR needs to go 20mph+

i was looking into the nitro vee, supervee,aquacraft hammer,well i guess any.. good quaility?

wat do you guys think about buying used nitros? im looking at the traxxas nitro vee and the supervee 27 nitro..
ID prefer used so i can have some money left over for gas and the glow plug igneter etc..
Old 12-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Traxxas4fun

Default RE: good first time nitro boat?

o and the miss vegas! i might buy one of those
Old 12-20-2008, 08:25 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

I've had both the nitro hammer and the nitro Vee. The Vee is great for newies that don't have any experience with nitro. Te return to shore feature will save a ton of time. Once you get the hang of it, however, you will get bored as it's stock top speed is in the neighborhood of 23mph. Othersin this forum will disagree with me that you can do a multitude of hop up on the vee but the cost benifit is very low.
The Hammer wi give you a little more speed out of the box (it's much lighter) and will keep your attention a while longer, especially if you have a freind that has a similar set up to race..

ENJOY!!
Mark
Old 12-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Traxxas4fun

i just dont like the $300 price tag! if i buy it used for say 150 bucks and the motor goes bad can i just drop in a 2.5r?
Old 12-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Traxxas4fun

how fast does the nitro hammer go? would you buy used?
i just think the vee looks better, its a deep v and well ive never tuned a engine before but id buy the nitro vee used..

i think ill get the vee cuz ive never had great luck with nitros, so the back to shore thing..

and a 2.5r is only like 110 bucks right?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:23 AM
r/cmark42

You can't drop a 2.5 in. You would have to modify the clutch sytem and drive line. If you are loking for speed, you will be disappointed with the Vee.

you should look at other threads, the Miss Vegas might be teh best way to go. check out you tube for video on each and you can see the difference
Old 12-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Traxxas4fun

yeh but the miss vegas is 300 bucks.. this will be my first nitro boat.. so i was thinking something a little simpler.. and the miss vegas turns to wide i think for my pond.

i was thinking a used nitro vee?
Old 12-21-2008, 11:02 AM
toyotatruckin

You might watch the for sale section here on RCU ive seen every thing from the miss vegas to nitro hammer complete and ready to go for less than 200$ best bet for speed and handling would be the missvegas-by the way YES you can Use an SG style crank for marine application, find a heavy car/truck flywheel cut the non threaded end off and get an octura collet to fit the thread of the crank, simple 3 min. modification or if you have a friend with a machine shop get him to modify the marine flywheel for ya

heres a picture of the last HPI .18 SG style crank I did ,had to snatch the picture from buddy cause i cleaned out my computer the other day
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49406.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1093836  
Old 12-21-2008, 11:16 AM
toyotatruckin

I should add to the above a little the car/truck flywheel will work IF the motor has a starting system of some sort on it (pull.roto,etc) if not you need the marine flywheel machined so you can belt start the engine
Old 12-21-2008, 11:24 AM
r/cmark42

Since the Vee has been on the market for a long time, you should not have a problem finding a used one. It got me started about 10 years ago and I've love boating ever since..

have fun!
Old 12-21-2008, 11:36 AM
toyotatruckin

here I flipped through the sale section and found a 100$ nitro hammer if you see an interest do a search on youtube and here on RCU on it and you will find a ton of info..
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=465842 not mine or anyone i know just found it and figured why not toss it up
Old 12-21-2008, 03:36 PM
RaceCraftRC

I know that guy, I wonder why he is getting out of boats?
Old 12-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Traxxas4fun

i really dont want the vegas tho.. extremly fast, wide turnining (dont have a wide pond)..

i want something easy to tune..

But would you guys buy used??
Old 12-21-2008, 09:43 PM
suprapilot

I bought a new nitro sv27 as my first boat and i love it...I thought it was too much for a first boat but it was easy to getg going...i have some experience with nitro cars so i wasnt totally in the dark...sv27 has some balls right outa the box and it runs on the edge so it keeps it interesting...u can prob find them used for a good price too....

Best starter boat IMO is the nitro vee...not too fast and has good features to make it easier..cause lets face it..a boat with a clutch is way easier for a beginner to run cause it can stop for short time ..with others you canst stop and idle speed is usually not that slow so you cant take your eyes off it...not to mention how mcuh trouble a return to shore system would say instead of the old fishing pole trick..
Old 12-21-2008, 10:18 PM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: suprapilot

I bought a new nitro sv27 as my first boat and i love it...I thought it was too much for a first boat but it was easy to getg going...i have some experience with nitro cars so i wasnt totally in the dark...sv27 has some balls right outa the box and it runs on the edge so it keeps it interesting...u can prob find them used for a good price too....

Best starter boat IMO is the nitro vee...not too fast and has good features to make it easier..cause lets face it..a boat with a clutch is way easier for a beginner to run cause it can stop for short time ..with others you canst stop and idle speed is usually not that slow so you cant take your eyes off it...not to mention how mcuh trouble a return to shore system would say instead of the old fishing pole trick..
i'm gettin a miss vegas for myself but was thinking about a sv27 for my wife, something for us to do while we're at the lake. can you come off plane with it then take off again easily? how did it take rougher water?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Traxxas4fun

uhh woahh wait wat do you mean you cant let off the throttle on other boats?

wat do you think about the nitro hammer?