Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Outlaw 7.5

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Tiger Outlaw 7.5

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger Outlaw 7.5

This isn't a powerhouse racing engine as for one thing the engine seems to be more of a converted plane mill. Other props worth trying are the Octura X-447, 448 or 646/3.
When I looked at the boat at the Toledo show, the pipe seemed to be on the long side. There may be some more power to be had by shortening it. Pipe length from the glow plug to the widest part of the pipe following the path of the exhaust should be in the neighborhood of 10-1/2".
Old 05-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Rocket-J

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigcam406

Are you having any problems still with the adapter for the flexshaft coming loose?
I read that the clearance between the strut and the prop dog should be equal to the diameter of your shaft. Do you have enough clearance on your boat?
Old 05-09-2009, 09:29 AM
marcelaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rocket-J

ORIGINAL: bigcam406

Are you having any problems still with the adapter for the flexshaft coming loose?
I read that the clearance between the strut and the prop dog should be equal to the diameter of your shaft. Do you have enough clearance on your boat?

On the flex shaft, from the factory the end designed for the collet is squared off and the other end that goes into the prop shaft is round. The two set screws in the prop shaft were slipping on the round flex cable. Since I changed to a regular collet without clutch, I flipped the flex cable around backwards to allow the prop shaft set screws to grab onto the square end of the cable and have not had a slippage problem since then.

...and yea, the clearance allowed by the prop shaft design is probably about the diameter of the flex cable.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:20 AM
bigcam406

just wondering how u like the boat without the clutch,any difference in the bottom end,and does it cavitate when you accelerate hard out of the hole? also,are you still using the setup for the 15% nitro or are you playing with other combos? too bad about the hatch.....
Old 06-30-2009, 02:55 AM
3ns

Hi guys.

I am thinking of getting one of these. For the price it looks like a good deal. I've seen one of the local boater run it, it really looks good and stable.
I was wondering, what kind of speed would you get out of it if you were to drop a OS MAX 46VX-M in it.

tks

3ns
Old 06-30-2009, 07:01 AM
Ron Olson

A lot more. Seriously, it's hard to tell as if I were going to drop an OS in there I'd toss the clutch as well as the TT engine. I'd play with the tuned pipe length also as it looks to be too long out of the package.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:19 AM
3ns

Hi ron.

tks and it's good to hear from you again. Do you think this boat can run along/ against gas boats with a bigger engine? The reason I am asking this is cos I want to run with the gas boats here, but I am not too keen on Gas.

tks in advance

3ns
Old 06-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Ron Olson

That would depend on how hot of a gas engine that you're running against. The OS .46 seems to need an 11cc pipe to let it show its stuff. I'm just curious as to how a hot .45 like a MAC, Picco or CMB would do in one. Now THAT would be cool as you could really whip on some poor unsuspecting soul by making a "sleeper" boat!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:53 AM
3ns

tks ron.

Now we are talking, that is what i want. To actually get them off guard.
I've read about the OS .46 pipe requirement and was thinking if it would be better
to put in somthing else. I read somewhere that you might even be able to put a .67 engine
in one of these. If that is possible I might go down that path. But my only consern is of the
fuel reqirements. We have very limited fuel choice here.

I would like to get between low 50's n mid 50's (maybe even more). What size engine would
you recommend?

tks

3ns
Old 06-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Ron Olson

I don't know what you can get in Singapore or on the mainland. Some of the shops carry the real things and others sell copies. The MAC is about impossible to get as there is also a Soviet-made MAC so don't get those 2 confused. A CMB should be available from several places there and at very good prices although higher than an OS but much better and more reliable. A .67 might go in there but then to be on the safe side you'd want to upgrade the driveline to a 1/4" cable.
From what I've seen of the boat, it does have possibilities but needs a few things that most RTR boats need, mostly a sharpened and balanced prop on it. The included radio system is a bottom-of-the-line Ace as far as I know but really is quite good compared to others in its class. I've got one somewhere and it has one of the most comfortable transmitters that I've ever held.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 AM
3ns

tks ron.

The only reputable engine here is OS. But I can get a CMB from australia, all the others are in the states. Will have to do the calculation before getting one. I think I'll go with a .67 once I am ready. I'll run it as stock till I get the engine and tha start on the upgrades.

Tks alot for the infos

Have nice day

3ns
Old 06-30-2009, 08:38 AM
marcelaw

I'll happily test the MAC, Picco or CMB is someone wants to mail me one!!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Ron Olson

Oh gee whiz, can we huh?
Like I said, MAC's aren't that easy to get your hands on but there might be a guy right there in Katy that could have a few, Ernie LeFleur. Really nice guy and always good for a COLD Miller Lite.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:54 AM
marcelaw

I'm actually considering a conversion to FE...there is a local club here in Katy that meets twice a month to run their boats, lots of knowledge in the group to help me make it happen. I think the hull is a good candidate since it runs so stable and handles very well. Still a bit undecided...I do like the run times I'm getting right now.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:45 AM
bigcam406

i'd leave it nitro.its seems like a good combination judging by your videos.if im going to purchase another boat,that one is at the top of the list.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Big Cap Guy

Hey Marcelaw, I have an Outlaw 7.5 coming Wednesday of this week, can't wait. I will immediately pull out the stock radio and use my JR Gear including servos. Will the radio box allow for the use of 6.0v flat pack? What are the dimensions of the radio box? If you could shoot a nice picture of the radio box I would appreciate it. If it's not too much trouble for you to remove the pipe that would be even better. Thanks a ton if you could do that.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Ron Olson

The latest issue of RC Driver has an article on the boat.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Big Cap Guy

Thanks Ron, I did pick that magazine just for the Outlaw 7.5 reveiw. I couldn't wait until mine came today. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:10 AM
marcelaw

Big Cap Guy, sorry I didn't get a picture of the radio box for you, assume you have your boat at this point. I'm using a 6.0V hump pack in mine, should also be room for a flat 6V pack.

Make sure you add floatation to the hatch. Would love to hear how it runs for you and what fuel, prop, glow plug, etc you're using.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Big Cap Guy

Well let me tell you this thing is a bear to start. I did not have any luck on 12v whatsoever. I kind of knew that issue was coming from the other guys threads. I am getting ready to head out and try it again on 24v. I want to at least get 6-7 heat up and cool down cycles before I toss it in the pond. I am hoping to enter it in a race this Sunday. Not sure at this point if it'll make it as I am running out of time. It is a very sweet boat though. Excellent hardware and attention to details for a well priced RTR. It puts the quality of my Miss Vegas to shame for only an extra $100 bucks. Aquacraft needs to take some lessons from TT. Don't get me wrong, love my Miss Vegas now that all the stock items have been upgraded. I will post my efforts this evening in the garage with the Outlaw.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Ron Olson

Nothing beats breaking in your engine than with running it in the water. If you want to heat cycle it, run it wide open in the straights then slow down in the turns. The engine needs a load on it to break it in properly.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:19 AM
marcelaw

I've been able to get mine started every time using 16.8V and a slightly loosened glow plug. One it fires up I tighten the glow plug. 24V may get it going without loosening the plug...

Also, when the head is a bit warm it starts much easier.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Ron Olson

ORIGINAL: marcelaw

Also, when the head is a bit warm it starts much easier.
It will. what's happening is that the engines have tapered sleeves so it will be tight at TDC. When the engine gets heat built up the top of the sleeve expands making it looser.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Big Cap Guy

Hey Marcelaw, I had the privledge to try a X447-3 on my Outlaw last weekend and that made a huge difference regarding top speed! I thought it was going to blow over! Also, I am going to bag the stock quiet pipe and use an OPS 7.5 performance pipe. That will wake up this motor considerably. I do love the quiet sound of the stock one but it sacrifices rpm. It'll be loud but even faster. I will post some speeds in a couple weeks. One of our local guys has a radar gun.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Ron Olson

check the pipe length as they look a little long to me. Proper length from the glow plug to the fat part of the pipe ought to be at around 10-1/2".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.