Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

New here

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:00 PM
bigmanbowers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here

Hey guys,

I'm new here to all this RC stuff and want to learn. I have lurked these fourms for about 2 days now after 500lbkoolaidman led me on to this place when I told him I wanted to get into this RC boat stuff. I have learned some stuff from reading around this place but most of the words you guys use is hooplah. He will most likely help me along the way because I'm half retarded. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and hopefully with in the next month I can start my own project once I get financially stable. I really like the way the speed boats look and I like the battle ships some of you guys have done. If anyone feels like sending me free stuff I'll gladly take it .

Cheers,
Lawton

Old 03-30-2009, 11:10 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Default RE: New here

Which are you the most interested in, building a boat (big commitment), buy one new, or buying one used? And, you're sure you want a nitro boat, correct? Craigslist and ebay are good places to look.

Also which is your primary interest, v-hull's, hydro's, tunnel hulls, what?

Cash you're willing to put into the hobby?

Answering these questions and giving whatever additional info you can will help people give better help / advice.

And props for looking around the site for a couple of days
Old 03-31-2009, 09:03 AM
bigmanbowers

I really like the whole V-hull speed boat look and if I find one I like I'll buy it new or used or if I can't I guess I'll build it just so I know how it's done. I probably want something from either 35-50 inches long. I think I'll put about 500 dollars in over time but I'm going to buy stuff over time.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 AM
bigmanbowers

Oh and whats the difference between gas and nitro?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Hmmm, about a $1,000
Old 03-31-2009, 10:33 AM
bigmanbowers

haha, besides that which is more expensive? And what is the pros and cons of each?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Your biggest differences will be in the fuel costs. I can run all day on a $2.00 gallon of gasoline compared to $30+ for nitro per gallon. Gas engines are clean, no oily reside and in my opinion more reliable. Easier to move bigger boats around with gas engines.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:01 AM
bigmanbowers

Hell, then there is no way I'm doing nitro. You guys pay that much for a gallon of nitro gas for a little RC boat when gas goes faster and cleaner?
Old 03-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Well, gas power is not necessarily "faster" than nitro as there are several nitros running circles around the gassers. It's just more common to run the larger boats with gasoline.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:33 PM
bigmanbowers

Yeah I probably plan on getting a boat somewhere between 30 to 50 inches long, either way I have decided on gas. I just gotta find a blank hull I like or something that really sticks out. I really want a V-hull speed boat look.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:54 PM
TCHedOff

ORIGINAL: bigmanbowers

Yeah I probably plan on getting a boat somewhere between 30 to 50 inches long, either way I have decided on gas. I just gotta find a blank hull I like or something that really sticks out. I really want a V-hull speed boat look.
Suprised Dreamin hasnt mention he makes some beautiful 'glass mono hulls!
Old 03-31-2009, 01:00 PM
bigmanbowers

I actually just called him up and my phone broke up or something. I really need a new phone. Dreamin hemi, how long would it take for a custom boat hull build? Oh and sorry about the phone issues I don't know what was happening.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Call me on the land line.....302.684.3554 or PM me your number and I'll call you.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:10 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

A custom hull made by one of the pro's is very expensive, I'd guess between $200 - $500 for the hull. They are very nice hulls of course but possibly / probably over the top for what you're looking for.

P.S. nitro hulls are generally anywhere from 25" - 45" and gas boats are generally 45"+

Nitro engines are small and can be a pain to tune, they require starting equipment, fuel is about $20 a gallon, they easily make a mess. BTW I think I figured out what you're looking for, it's what I want too A homemade v-hull with a weedwacker motor, they aren't the fastest boats out there but they're definitely fun. And can be cheap too, I'd guess that a $150 budget would cover it. Doorskin and 1/4" wood, weedwacker motor, and most of the hardware can be made with time and patients (except the shaft and shaft tube, also the prop, etc.)

I might be able to help. I've got the general skillz to make the hardware, and we could probably get an engine for your project pretty easily, I believe there's even a homelite just laying around my garage.

Just to throw it out there, homemade rc boats are not weekend projects and can take many weeks to complete. Also, although I've still not made one, I'm sure it's safe to say that it's not easy.

Homemade v-hulls with weedwacker engines
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6603851/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4718942/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5254824/tm.htm That's the most interesting one... starring Jamie and I
There are many more of course, you just have to do more research.

Or if you don't dig the idea of a fairly slow gasoline v-hull (and low $$$) that's ok too. BTW I have a set of plans for exactly what I'm talking about, what the first two links are. I have them if you want them.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watch this video from one of my "youngsters" to see how much fun you can have with a home-build woody ,
and a 42cc chainsaw-engine.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PEoGC5cxoY]VIDEO[/link]
Old 03-31-2009, 10:00 PM
bigmanbowers

awwwh hell yeah thats what I want lol. So what I think I'm going to do is me and Jeff are going to build a cheap boat by ourselves then later down the line I think I'll get scott to build me a custom hull heavy and big enough to support a big weed wacker engine or chainsaw moter.

Hell yeah