Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

CANT START

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:56 PM
noisy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CANT START

hi guys looking for some help please....have a thunder tiger 46 in a mono...engine wont start with belt and electric starter...ok if i pull the plug out spins very freely..but otherwise no go....any advise greatley appreciated....bob
Old 04-22-2009, 11:57 PM
black talon
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: CANT START

check to see if you have a good glow on your plug. loosen your plug, place your finger over the carb, give it a couple of spins until your finger is wet, apply the ignitor try to start it, if it catches tighten plug. i know thats pretty basic but thats the starting point.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:41 AM
noisy

thats not my problem the starter wont spin the motor....bob
Old 04-23-2009, 02:46 AM
Hesco Racing

Thunder tiger are very tight motors. You will probably find the starter motor is to light or the battery you are using is not strong enough. Specially if the motor has stopped at TDC. Helps to sometimes just turn the motor manualy past TDC and then swing it with the plug at least a 1/2 a turn loose. The motor will run and tighten the plug once its running.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:31 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest problem with starters is the lower cost one don't have the windings that the higher end ones have , you can hook all the power you want to it but they just dont have the power to turn over a high compression or tight engine. I remember when you could buy a real nice high torque sullivan for $25.00 but those days are gone. I have a honda motorcycle starter that I am going to modify for starting my big planes and boats andI liked the price too.....free! also you will find that most batteries ment for our hobby have only 7 amps and thats about enough to power a car stereo for an hour lol...............
Old 04-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You might have to up the voltage to 24 as some starters can't crank over tight engines once you hit .45 and above. Besides the loosening the plug trick, try hitting the belt with the starter already going, sometimes that'll give it the extra oomph it needs to get it turning.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:57 AM
srw1960

If you can turn the motor over by hand with the plug in or at least turn it to tdc with the plug in then the problem is definatly youre starter or battery but another thing to consider is engine flooding if you over prime and get to much fuel into the engine it will hydraulically lock up and wont budge until the liquid is removed from the cylinder..If you suspect it is flooded remove the plug detach the pressure line from the exhaust to the fuel tank open the throttle wide open and crank the engine with youre starter until it is clear of fuel.. then reinstall a fresh plug close the throttle back down to idle reattach the pressure line and see if it wont crank over ok..
Old 04-25-2009, 03:21 AM
noisy

wll thanks to ALL who gave good advice...the problem ... was the starter.. not enough GRUNT...opened the plug half a turn .no difference...so i went and borrowed a sullivan hi-torq starter put it on my car battery and instant start...we tuned the boat perfect ..taking it to the water ..tomorrow...thanks to all....bob