Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Miss Vegas in IMPBA Sport 20 class

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Miss Vegas in IMPBA Sport 20 class

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:27 PM
barmonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miss Vegas in IMPBA Sport 20 class

Just looking for some input here...can the Miss Vegas be made to be competitive in IMPBA Sport 20 Class or B Hydro? Not sure if the hull is legal in either or not BTW...still trying to figure it all out.

I am thinking of doing the sponson mod that I have seen, as well as losing the wing and maybe modifying the cowl to lose that air intake for less wind drag.

Engine-wise, I would like to keep the stock motor and trying out the new Aquacraft pipe...and then, as the funds allow, moving to to a .21 size engine.

As always, any input or pictures of your mods are greatly appreciated!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:17 PM
misshydro

Default RE: Miss Vegas in IMPBA Sport 20 class

Yes the miss vegas is goodto use fora sport.21.. Ask Russ Williamson.. He's the author of the miss vegas thread..Jerry Dunlap did a Miss vegas with a O.S .21 turbo for Russ and its fast...Jerry and Grim will chime in too..about this for you...Ok got to my thread it has pics for Russ &mine and one other guy who put.21's in the vegas..this should help you out..www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5878205/anchors_5878205/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#5878205 Ok go to page 2 post44...,page15 post361..,page17 post421..,page19 ,post47..these have pics of.21 in the vegas.. There one thundertiger.21 two O.S.21 VZ turbo's and one CMB.21...
Old 05-26-2009, 04:56 PM
barmonkey

Thanks for the break-down of that massive thread! I have mulled over it off and on for the past few months...probably actually read it twice-over. I'll certainly look at the posts you suggested...

Ihave seen the larger motors installed in that thread and elsewhere, but am a little concerned about it's handling characteristics. It looks like most of the Sport 20's are about 3 inches wider at the sponsons...although the Vegas may actually be a bit longer...
Old 05-26-2009, 07:58 PM
toyotatruckin

Its just a normal boat once you slap the call letters "RTR" off of it, run it in what ever class you set-up for and your best bet for rules is NOT to read through the message boards for the "he said she said" but go straight to the IMPBA or NAMBA web site which ever your gonna be running in -next best place to look for that answer is what ever local club you plan to race it in<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"></input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"/>
Old 05-26-2009, 08:33 PM
barmonkey

Too late...    I've already read through the message boards for the "he said she said"...found some good info...but will probably never find it again!

Apparently the hull is IMPBA (dist 14) legal, as a bone stock...wing and all...Vegas took third! I think my confusion on legality was something I read somewhere....sometime....don't really remember....may have been NAMBA...something to do with the strut. That really doesn't matter as my club is running IMPBA rules.

I was originally planning to go from RTR to Sport 40, but at this past weekends Meet, there were 25 Sport 40's there! I am not sure how mant 20's were there...but I know not that many.

At any rate, I am thinking with the release of the New Vegas Deuce there will be plenty of old Vegas hulls around for me to play with....
Old 05-27-2009, 09:54 AM
misshydro

I got a sport20 that is only 1"wider and 1"longer then the Miss vegas..So The Vegas hull is very close to the sport20 dementions..
Old 06-13-2009, 08:37 AM
barmonkey

OK the plan has been updated...I have an O.S. 21VZ-M

I need to figure out which header and pipe to use. Tower doesn't list either on their site...

Any suggestions on props?

Will the stock Vegas Flex Cable and collet be strong enough for this motor? I amthinking that a heavier cable would be required, along with a largerstuffing tube?

Any suggestions on motor mount?
Old 06-13-2009, 08:18 PM
hedach
My Feedback: (2)

I used the stock motor mounts and .150 cable with a x442 prop worked over. It is a very easy swap and will run well for you.Here is a vid running low 50sbut it would go 56-57http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czsSx...om=PL&index=31
Old 06-14-2009, 02:47 PM
barmonkey

hedach Thanks for the info. I have been re-reading some of the Vegas Uber-Thread...you did the sponson mod and lowered the turn fin correct?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:22 PM
hedach
My Feedback: (2)

No i did not. I did cut the rudder way down and cut the turn fin as well though.If you get above 60 mph than you need sponson mods. I learned this with my Vegas when i switched to electric.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:56 AM
barmonkey

OK so you actually cut down the turn fin as opposed to lowering it as others have done....I assume it was the Grim Racer turn fin. I wonder if the stock turn fin might be an option.

I can see how the larger Grim Racer turn fin may provide too much grab and drag at the higher speeds just like less rudder throw is required at higher speeds. The Grim fin works very well at sub 40 mph speeds...is this what caused yours to spin out in the turns?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Grimracer

If you are going to run the boat in sport 20 its best NOT to do the sponson mods.. the mods were done mostly to make up for lack of power from the 18 size engines.

Grim
Old 06-15-2009, 01:32 PM
barmonkey

That's good news! I was planning to try it without the sponson mod in hopes that it wasn't necessary.

I want to take baby steps with this project and not do a bunch of stuff that will only add weight. So for now I will settle on strengthening the hull across the sponsons. I suppose I will stay with the stock flex cable for now and an octura collet...going to try the SuperVee collet first...not sure if it fits...aside from that I'll need a heavier duty servo for the rudder.

Any other suggestions...
Old 06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
barmonkey

OK...SuperVee collet doesn't fit
Old 07-08-2009, 02:41 PM
barmonkey

OK, I still need some parts for my project.

What collett do I need to get...is it a 1/4" fitting with a 28 thread count? Or is it this 5mm threaded Octura "oct-ocfh5mm15
Octura Coupler Flex Hex 5mm Threaded to .150 Flex Cable. For Nitro Motors" which I found on Offshoreelectrics web site.

Any prop suggestions? So far I only recall an Octura X440 and X442 being used...