Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

starter belt question

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

starter belt question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:16 PM
all8up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter belt question

I was wondering what u guys have found to be the best starter belt for an OPS 60? I am still having trouble starting my sprintcat, The motor was a previous national motor built for Dennis Love, maybe some of u guys heard of him, he is a boat guru around here. It has a lot of compression, (maybe I need to back it down) and the belt slips if it gets even a little oil on it.. I am using a sullivan heavy duty belt, but I think it might be better if i had a belt with more of a vee shape.. this thing is getting on my last NERVE!!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Dan S

Default RE: starter belt question

loosen up the plug a bit when starting it, it will relieve a lot of the compression.
once its started just tighten the plug.

Dan.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Isn't oil on starting belts fun? You're right, it sure isn't.
Try sewing machine shops. Talk nice to somebody who does the repair work on them and take the boat along. I got lucky at one such store and the repairman had a box full of used belts that were taken off repairs and trade-ins that were otherwise in great shape but worn on the sides. Those might fit in your flywheel easier plus dirt cheap.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:38 PM
all8up

thanks for the replies... I have been backing the glow plug off as suggested, and that's how I wound up stripping the head.... posted in another thread...
I got it fixed by tapping it to 1/8 pipe, and putting in a pipe plug, set with sleeve retainer, and then tapped that with a 1/4 32 tap....
I thought I had the problem whipped with a heavy duty starter and bigger battery, but no luck...
this thing has a lot of compression, especially when the fuel comes in.....
the sullivan starter belt I have flipped over the first time I used it, have u ever seen that?
I feel I am not getting a good contact with the pulleys.. Kerry
Old 06-28-2009, 01:02 AM
bondobuster

If all else fails try a local vacuum cleaner shop as drive belts from a " beater bar " works fantastic. My bud drives one in his nitro and works just fine and they are cheap......Cheers..
Old 06-30-2009, 07:05 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Your next move may have to be to go to 24 volts. Most 12 volt starters can take that much but only for short bursts, 15 seconds max then let it cool down.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:12 PM
all8up

I thought about that too,, what has helped the most so far is the better belt from the sewing shop, because it gives me much better contact patch, and also it rides out further on the pulley and helps to clear the exhaust pipe, as it sits inside the belt....
I only have to back off the glow plug if it gets flooded, or I'm trying to clear out some after run oil... thanks, Kerry
Old 06-30-2009, 07:30 PM
dicko

Some guys over here use converted small starter motors from small cars or big bikes to start their engines. They are still 12V but a heck of a lot more torque. Some of the Aussie boat suppliers sell them such as Retallick Engineering.

There's one at the bottom of this page

http://www.retallickeng.com.au/hardware.html
Old 07-05-2009, 12:23 AM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

in rc planes one of the tricks is close the carb, get the engine turning over then open the carb. most of the time it lights up. i used a 7.2v sub c battery pack to start a gms .47 this way. dont know if it would wor with boats though