Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

cracking hull and bent flex cable??!!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

cracking hull and bent flex cable??!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:30 PM
miniature_business

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracking hull and bent flex cable??!!

hey everyone! So I have been really enjoying my Dumas Deep Vee 40 with an OS 46, but I noticed that after around 10 runs the hull has cracked at the very bottom. Is there any way I can repair this without having to strip and repair and repaint the whole thing?? the deck has also cracked too.... what might be causing this. I will admit, I was running in slightly rough water and quite dry. I was more concerned about breaking in the motor, so I was running around 1/2 throttle. As well, I flipped it and I think the flex drive wound up and now there is a slight kink in it. It will still spin but it hits the bottom of the boat. Can I straighten it out or do I need to but a new one? sorry for the long post. Thanks everybody. I really wanna get back out. I love this boat.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Dan S

Default RE: cracking hull and bent flex cable??!!

Can you put a pic of your setup?

how much cable is exposed?

Dan.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:40 AM
miniature_business

i don't have a digital camera, but there is less than half an inch of cable exposed between the coupler to the drive shaft, and the brass tube. The nylon is ok, it's the slightest bend, I would even call it a warp. As for the hull it's a hair line crack about 4inches long, right on the bottom edge of the vee or chine I think it's called.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:20 AM
TCHedOff

You mentioned breaking in the boat.... so I'm assuming it is new (and perhaps your are a new boater?). The flip could have caused the cracking, but vibration will also cause cracking.

Just a thought... is your prop sharpened & balanced? It is not unusual for a new boater to assume a prop they bought is s/b for them when in fact it is a "raw" prop.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Dreamin Hemi

More than likely stress cracks on the gelcoat only is what you are experiencing. It's not going to sink your boat or allow water to enter most likely. No way to do a quick fix, just would need to be sanded down and apply new gelcoat to the area. Block sanded afterward and buffed with compound she'll look good as new!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:02 AM
miniature_business

yeah, it's a raw prop, I was going to sharpen and balance it after I broke it in, I just wanted to get the engine in a good state to run well, then work the prop and trim the tabs for stable speed. Some water comes through and just drips out when I put it back on the stand. I believe that it's been gelcoated and then painted over but I'm not sure, I didn't build it. Could starting it on the stand be causing this crack? As well, is there anyway to straighten the flex shaft? I thought heat it and straighten it carefully with needle nose pliers.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Dan S

we all start our boats on the stand than put them in, so that is not the problem.

for a flex to bend with only 1/2 inch exposed is not something that normally happens.
never run with a prop that has not been balanced, the fact that it is not sharp will only not give the full performance, BUT an out of balanced prop can cause havoc, vibrations will be enough to damage the drive line, the hull, and the bearings in the engine.

even for break in you need a balanced prop and since your balancing might as well sharpen it also.

I don't know if you can save that flexi, you may need a new one.

I would replace it.
Good luck,

Dan.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
miniature_business

So the big question on my mind is... Can I cause any more damage by running with the crack in the hull?? The bow of the boat is sealed and I was thinking of drilling a small hole in the front bulkhead to drain any water that may come in.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:25 AM
black talon
My Feedback: (5)

if the crack goes all the way thru the hull. put a bead of epoxy on the crack and beyond each end to brace it and keep out water. running with an unbalanced prop could have been the cause of the cracks. it will also wear out the bushings in your strut.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 PM
lipster94

If its a nitro boat then the cracking in the interior is probably from the tiny bit of nitro fuel(burned and unburned) that has over time leaked out of the tank or engine. Idk wether you have a fiberglass or plastic hull but if its plastic, then the nitro is very corrosive on plastic.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:20 AM
miniature_business

no, it's a wood hull. What's the best way to go about fixing this? I've never worked with a wooden hull.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:00 PM
advanced builder

A wood hull ,can be repaired, flex cable is another matter. If crack goes into fount bulkhead drill out a small drain hole inside of hull reseal all exposed wood. Enlarge crack with a dremal fill with fiberglass cloth chopped up into small strands make a paste fill void sand & repaint . all inside patches need to be taken down to wood then fuel proofed Why not glass the bottom ck out http://duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/ar...ass/bottom.htm