Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Outboard Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Outboard Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:21 PM
stuartbowen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outboard Questions

I have a few questions for those in the know of 3.5cc outboards:First, what do you think of the Hyperprod aftermarket bullet drive angle drive and is lawless still available, Second, what are the tuned pipe options and will a straight pipe work. Third is the predator still a competitive hull, and last for sport use is 30% Nitro enough or what is the bottom line?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Outboard Questions

The Lawless is still available. I haven't seen the Hyper Prod lower yet.
I didn't know that the Predator ever was a competitive hull!
You can use 30% for sport use but for racing, you'll want 45% or better if you can find it.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:42 PM
stuartbowen

sorry didnt mean predator meant villain.  dont know why I always call my villain a predator, guess its because i think of traxxas and villain
heres the link to the hyper prod lower unit http://hyperprod.bizhosting.com/3_5_bullet_drive.html 
Old 07-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Ron Olson

OK, it's now known as the VS-1 to help avoid confusion with the Traxxas boat. I've seen a lot of the same thing when they came out with the Super-Vee 27 as people called them the Nitro-Vee.
When Mike sold them when he had his own company, Grim Racer/Power Surge Racing, they went by the Villain name. I'm waiting to see if and when Aquacraft is going to come out with his Nemesis but right now they've got other things going on at their Skunkworks.
Yeah, I've seen the Hyper Prod lower but not in person. That's what I guess that I should have said.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Cristian Aldana

Good Nigth in my humbled oppinion to avoid headaches buy a OS XM .21 engine and VS1 and be happy. Its a great combination to start to learn setup of tunnels. The performance come with the experience of your setup.. water condition, balance of boat, prop, angle, heigth, fuel, setup, setup, setup and setup.... For mod is more complex.. i saw a lot of .21 mod with pipes and modifications lost..behind the realibility of OS engine and plus in the transon of VS1.
I dont forget a Guy in Charleston World Tunnel Champions 2008 with a Green Linx hull with one OS with his factory mufler running in high 50mph blow the water wuaooo...This hull is one of the top of line but cost is of two VS1. The firts is know your boat but if anyone try to make all it more dificult start in the good way. the VS1 & OSXm is fast boat eating 30% nitro fuel of good quality with minimum 18% oil content or excelente oil components to sure protection of engine, fuel made for boats.

i have a Lawless leg and is beatifull leg for my mod engines in HTB 260, but need more knowledgement and may be more expensive to find the same performance and the high speed is important but the stability is more important because it permit finish the race or be a fun day.
Sorry my bad english is my humbled opinnion from here. Atach a pics of my VS1 and not is for sale man!! , is great product only.

My grettings for one of mine Master and friend Ron here, see you soon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75820.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1240962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93384.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1240963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72124.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1240964  
Old 07-21-2009, 01:28 PM
stuartbowen

I like the VS1s too, I have two of them that are set up pretty nicely one with the os max and another with the kb stock and ur right they are pretty cheap and reliable but I am asking  more questions right now about the boats than for purchasing.  I am seriously looking at the kb 3.5sx does anyone actually run one?
Old 07-22-2009, 06:22 PM
ob nut

As my friend from Venezuela has stated, get the VS1 with a OS and learn to tune it for proper speed and handleing. The Lawless is still around. As for the Hyper Prod lower, stay away from it. I've seen them run in the past. To work properly, they need work. Don't waste your money.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:56 PM
stuartbowen

As I stated I already have one (two actually and really like it) but I am just trying to catch up on whats current and the like.  The lawless question was for a zenoah g260 btw.  What is the motor angle supposed to be on the vs-1.  It is currently running 40.3mph at best but I know they are good for more than that.  It has the cupped balanced and sharpened octura prop its either a m440 or 1440 I cant remember and is running off of 30% odonnell fuel.  I was also wondering how warm I can get one.  I have run cars around 235 all day and never had a problem can the same be said for the os 21xm
Old 07-22-2009, 08:55 PM
dicko

the os runs a ABC (aluminium piston, brass chrome liner) which doesn't hold up to temps as well as the buggy engines which run ABN (aluminium, brass nickel). you can get them warm, but not as hot as a buggy engine. I know a lot of guys take the cooling line off the OS engines to let them warm up enough. I have just restricted mine.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:50 PM
wave waker

[quote]ORIGINAL: stuartbowen

I have a few questions for those in the know of 3.5cc outboards: First, what do you think of the Hyperprod aftermarket bullet drive angle drive..

i ordered a year ago just to give a try but their out of stock then until i lost my interest i didn't get one, same thing with their tunnel hull product, they advertise but out of stock, i try to avoid from the company as i can, lots of disappointment done to me.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:09 PM
ob nut

ORIGINAL: stuartbowen

As I stated I already have one (two actually and really like it) but I am just trying to catch up on whats current and the like. The lawless question was for a zenoah g260 btw. What is the motor angle supposed to be on the vs-1. It is currently running 40.3mph at best but I know they are good for more than that. It has the cupped balanced and sharpened octura prop its either a m440 or 1440 I cant remember and is running off of 30% odonnell fuel. I was also wondering how warm I can get one. I have run cars around 235 all day and never had a problem can the same be said for the os 21xm
Here is a direct copy of Mike Z's setup for the 09 racing season:

VS1 Setup for 09

Kit boat (scraped, scuffed and blueprinted bottoms)
OS 21 OB (Sport)
Grimracer 40X52/3 (bag) (might have to adjust to your motor)
.003" head space
8 5/8" CG location
bottom of the bullet even with the top of the setup board
2.5 deg neg trim
.5 deg pos in the mount plate
ODonnell 65% boat fuel
Full water to the motor
RTR weight 4lbs 14oz
Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Ron Olson

Well, it looks like I'm back into OB tunnels again! During this past weekend I bid on a VS-1 at the race in Hobart, IN and got myself a VS-1. Proceeds went to the Steven Zaborowski Foundation and the boat showed up yesterday just as I was heading off to work. I popped the box open a little while ago and the boat looks very nice! Now I've just got to find an O.S. OB to hang on it. My son wants to design the paint job for it and may make an attempt to do his first boat built (with old dad by his side of course).
Old 09-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Grimracer

All good stuff here dudes..

UPDATE: VS1 Setup for 2010 goes like this

Kit boat (scraped, scuffed and blueprinted bottoms)

NOTE: The boat got run over at the first race of the year (Zubers NUTS!) and I had to put new bottoms on the sponsons.. so the entire boat got a fresh coat of clear..

OS 21 OB (Sport)
OD-9 Plug
Grimracer 40X52/3 (bag) (might have to adjust to your motor)
.003" head space
8 5/8" CG location
bottom of the bullet even with the top of the setup board
2.5 deg neg trim
.5 deg pos in the mount plate
Grimracer 50% boat fuel
Full water to the motor
RTR weight 4lbs 14oz

You can see not many changes to the setup.. and the darn thing is still winning from time to time.

Just to clarify Ron its Thomas Zaborowski.. but that’s OK if you misunderstood.. heck I could hardly talk after the city jumped in like they did…. And….. THANK YOU BUDDY!

The VS-1 will run VERY well with a K+B 8907, SS or SX motor.. I have raced them all and the SS (of the K+Bs) is still my favorite.. "IF" you get a good PL fit..

But.. for me its OS ALL THE WAY.. just the stub shaft is worth the extra price.....

When using a K+B only use the K+B lower on the VS-1.. and please do not put a pipe on the motor.. you will likely be very disappointed. The boat is just not designed for that kind of power.

Grim
Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Ron Olson

My brain was (and kind of still is) a little fried after being out in the sun for 4 days so sorry about getting your brothers name wrong. The City of Hobart jumping in with that check was really something!
After some of the sloppy work that I had with the K&B's, I think that the O.S. is the best choice. This was at the time that K&B was selling the company to MECOA.