Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Dumas sport 20 Pay N' Pak

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Dumas sport 20 Pay N' Pak

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:12 PM
TCHedOff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dumas sport 20 Pay N' Pak

ORIGINAL: Blackout

You can copy that mount by buying some aluminum stock and cut and drill yourself. You can leave it rectangular, it will not be too heavy. The rubber bushings can be bought from McMaster Carr. Do a search on their site for vibration bushings. mcmaster.com

That may be Blackout, but by the time you pay for the materials and the shipping from McMaster you'll be out more than that mounts cost - then factor your time - its a no brainer. My .02 anyhow.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:39 PM
R.J. West

Hey Hi ya doing,
Thanks for the compliment!
Thats not a bad idea, however I dont own any machining tools or a lathe, just hand tools & a dremel. I'll look around and see if there'sother mounts I canjust bolt down over the oak blocks.and as a last resort I'l conjure something up along those lines...
Old 02-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: TCHedOff

ORIGINAL: Blackout

You can copy that mount by buying some aluminum stock and cut and drill yourself. You can leave it rectangular, it will not be too heavy. The rubber bushings can be bought from McMaster Carr. Do a search on their site for vibration bushings. mcmaster.com

That may be Blackout, but by the time you pay for the materials and the shipping from McMaster you'll be out more than that mounts cost - then factor your time - its a no brainer. My .02 anyhow.
Yah I know, but that mount is drilled wrong for his motor....
Old 02-03-2010, 07:33 PM
R.J. West

Do you know offhand which engine the Solinger mount was intended for?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: R.J. West

Hey Hi ya doing,
Thanks for the compliment!
Thats not a bad idea, however I dont own any machining tools or a lathe, just hand tools & a dremel. I'll look around and see if there's other mounts I can just bolt down over the oak blocks. and as a last resort I'l conjure something up along those lines...
You can do it with a drill, hack saw, and file. A drill press would be very helpful so that you can drill accurate holes. If you buy 1/8" thick by 3/4" wide aluminum flat stock you will not need to make many cuts.

When drilling holes in thin metal use a "bullet point" drill bit to get a clean round hole. Regular bits can give a 3 sided oval in thin material. Or start with a small bit and work your way up to the desired hole size.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Blackout

Do you know offhand which engine the Solinger mount was intended for?
The Novarossi probably fits. I like your OPS.

You can get a Novarossi 5-port .21 for $215.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:45 PM
R.J. West

Yeah thats what I was thinking, Novarossi makes a nice engine, but alittle too hot for my pocket book....I've always felt partial to O.P.S.& Picco engines for my raceboats,I won a NIb .21 o.p.s off ebay for $120...
Thanks for the advice on the engine mount. I can probably cough one up myself like that in a afternoon.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 PM
toyotatruckin

Blackouts 100% right on the mount-hit the hardware store homedepot lowes etc they sell aluminum stock and its all soft metal so very easy to work with hand tools, take a black permanent marker rub down the surface instead of needing to buy bluing scribe your design and start whittling, dremal will work wonders heredont have marker use tape draw out one cut design with an xacto remove tape there is your scribe line use the first part as your temp for second POOF matching sides! To make your cuts look almost machined stroke your fine file straight down the edge of the part till it looks good, hit both sides with some fine paper and leave it like that for a satan finish or polish it up, 100% custom 100% dirt cheap AND to top it off a solid mount will give you more at teh prop than a rubber mount down side is your boat will vibrate more and be a little louder... hope that helps you a bit
Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 PM
R.J. West

Of course it helps, thanks.

I'm in the process of getting all my gear installed, so I'l be grinding out that mount soon, I'll post pics when finished.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Blackout

A hardware store may also have some rubber grommets that might work for a vibration damping mount. You could make a 3 piece grommet with two rubber washers, which are easy to find locally, and a piece of rubber fuel line. Slide a piece of k&s tubing in the groomet to give the screw something to bottom out on, otherwise you will just be compressing the rubber grommet.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:20 PM
TCHedOff

R J Joe Solinger's .12 mount fits the new Novarossi engines (mine bolted right up)- I dont know which other engines have the same bolt pattern.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:36 PM
R.J. West

Yeah and thats the thing, I only have a .21 ops engine. I got a nice federal return so It wont hurtfor meto grab me a Novarassi .21 to fit the Solinger .21 mount that I already have. Although I never ran a Novarossi, I feel partial to ops for racing as its a reliable/dependable engine that should move my Pak along pretty well....
Old 02-05-2010, 08:52 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you will like the novarossi, a lot of bang for the buck, every rossi I have set up has run great right out of the box.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:43 AM
misshydro

My eagle will be powered with a.45 rossi or i can be miss smarty pants and put in my mod-ed picco.67 in that eagle too..lol..If I build that pak & save or atlas will be power by my picco.21.. as for building it lighter? Well Grim racer & a few other guys told me not to do that.. I'll listen to them since they built that boat and raced them..[8D]your building those boats??[&:]never going to happen/never be completed I'm not worried about you...[:'(]RJ keep up that build.. looks great!![8D] I got another eagle to build and a gas whip to build too.... I'd should've started building wooden boats long ago..but never had the funds to do one..[] it fun..like building a jag saw puzzle..[8D],,RJ get the nova p5.21.. replacement parts are cheaper and easier to get then ops..heck at 215 for a good.21 from a race proven company you can't beat it..isn't ops made in Germany?[&:] most of the race motors are Italian stallion built!Even thow I'm half Italian/German..[8D]
Old 02-05-2010, 12:35 PM
TCHedOff

RJ - I've been meaning to ask - why cant you just redrill the holes in mounts to fit your current engine?
Old 02-05-2010, 01:36 PM
R.J. West

I might give a Novarossi .21 a shot then.

OPS is an Italian engine and a proven powerhouse that wins races. You must've been thinking about JetPacks Webra's, those are made in Germany....

Where can I get an novarossi for $215? Which distributer? i seen novarossius.com and the prices I saw were Top $$$

About redrilling the holes in the mount, I addressed that issue I believe in an earlier post in this thread, I dont want to distract from the neat & tidy appearance I want to achieve in the overall appearance of the boat, by having exposed holes. I like the mount and didnt want to drill additional holes in it, which can be done by the way. I did email Joe Solinger about possibly custom making me one for my ops, but he wouldnt be able to get around to it til summer I was told.
So can either grab me a Rossi for that mount, or use the Dumas plate mount until then.
I can use the Dumas Plate mount, and remove it when solinger is able to make me a new one for my OPS. Which was my plan anyway.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:53 PM
misshydro

talk to GlennQuarles on INTLWATERS.com.. go to manufacters/dis forum..He's the US seller of them..I'm going to order one form him shortly....
Old 02-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Blackout

I might give a Novarossi .21 a shot then.

OPS is an Italian engien and a proven powerhouse that wins races. You must've been thinking about JetPacks Webra's, those are made in Germany....[img][/img]

Where can I get an novarossi for $215? Which distributer? i seen novarossius.com and the prices I saw were Top $$$

About redrilling the holes in the mount, I addressed that issue I believe in an earlier post in this thread, I dont want to distract from the neat & tidy appearance I want to achieve in the overall appearance of the boat, by having exposed holes. I like the mount and didnt want to drill additional holes in it, which can be done by the way. I did email Joe Solinger about possibly custom making me one for my ops, but he wouldnt be able to get around to it til summer I was told.
So can either grab me a Rossi for that mount, or use the Dumas plate mount until then.
I can use the Dumas Plate mount, and remove it when solinger is able to make me a new one for my OPS. Which was my plan anyway.
Try Glenn Quarles:

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=37620
Old 02-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay all, kits are in hand. I'll be starting a build thread as soon as I get a roll of film shot and processed. As I've said before, my builds WILL NOT BE STOCK
Old 02-06-2010, 09:56 PM
R.J. West

Hey HJ,

Out of curiosity, how is the wood in your kits? Sometimes you get a good one thats cleanly stamped thru, and sometimes you get one where you have to score over the die-cuts with an xacto knife to get them to come out.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:47 AM
Hydro Junkie

I haven't opened them yet so I can't say. It doesn't really matter in my case since I probably wont be using it for more than a set of templates anyway. Besides, I won't be building one boat out of the kit, I'll be doing two or three, a heavily modded 1978 Miss Madison, a heavily modded 1977 Atlas Van Lines and a semistock Pak. After seeing the post I pasted below, I figure I need to demonstrate what can be done when someone knows what they're doing. As I said, let the kit bashing begin.

My eagle will be powered with a.45 rossi or i can be miss smarty pants and put in my mod-ed picco.67 in that eagle too..lol..If I build that pak & save or atlas will be power by my picco.21.. as for building it lighter? Well Grim racer & a few other guys told me not to do that.. I'll listen to them since they built that boat and raced them.. your building those boats?? never going to happen/never be completed I'm not worried about you...
Old 02-07-2010, 05:25 AM
Hydro Junkie

Don't know yet RJ. The kits are still in the shipping box they arrived in. Not to worry, as soon as I open the box, I'll be taking pictures and letting you know what I found. Won't really matter to me as long as the outside edges look good since they will be primarily used as templates anyway. I'll most likely be doing three boats, a highly modded 1978 Miss Madison, a highly modded 1977 Atlas Van Lines and a slightly modded 1973 Pak. Still trying to decide if I want to use a solid shaft in the Pak or not. Since there are some in the forum that have never seen a build with a solid shaft, it might be worth doing one that way. BTW, did I say I say THESE BOATS WON'T BE STOCK BUILDS yet?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Hydro Junkie

Before I even get to open the box, I've run into a possible problem. I'm hearing that the engine I had planned on using, a K&B 21, may not be available. Since I'll be making these boats super light, anyone have any suggestions on what might be a good choise? I'm not up on my 20/21 engines since the last one I used was a 1982 vintage HB 20 in, of all things, a stock built Dumas 30" Pak hull. This time around, the HB isn't an option since it's nothing more than a water cooled aircraft engine with a top end of 17K. That's not enough to get my boats up and running the way I want them to. Oversizing to a larger engine isn't an option either since IF I decide to try and race them, it would mean buying another new engine. Since I'm not getting anything free on these builds, I figure the wife will give me a free pass on one engine. This means I need to get a good one the first time and not tempt fate. I'm sure all you guys with wives or serious GF's will agree on this one
Old 02-08-2010, 12:29 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HJ if you're planning on going with a light hull with better lift, why not consider going down a couple points on displacement and look at that KB .18 pull start specs.

It can swing a Prather 215 at 28K, and compared to the maxed out rear intake .21, the horspower is a fractional difference.

With those kind of specs, I would throw it more into the .20 catagory than the .15's

Look for a discount on it too. Trade in special only costs you $60 and without a junker the new price is $90.

Toss the recoil and turn a backplate for it and you have a nice, light package to go with your hull. No clue about a flywheel for it if they have one.

Still in stock.

If you were dead set on the KB .21 it might be possible to work within budget by buying what parts you need to complete one from the parts list, and find a used, standard cased donor to work from that can be found fast and cheap most times.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:33 AM
R.J. West

Well, I decided on to use the dumas straight shaft on mine, dumas rudder all that fun stuff. I am going to modify and sharpen the rudder however and give it a more modern profile.
However I am going with a modern sport 20 angled turn fin instead of the Dumas turn fin.

I've been buying my engines from ebay, & I dont know if you have an ebay account or not but I've seen new in box k&b .21 inboards gor for around $100-110 bux. I bought my OPS .21 side exhaust for $120 + 10 shipping.

if you checked with Mecoa's webpage then you might see that they're probably on backorder.

I checked out the specs on some of the .18 engines and they look good on paper, but man, I like displacement....

Hey,it helps to take them to a nice restaurant, Olive Garden's a good choice... tell her how much she means to you, Apologize to her that sometimesyou always dont say howgood she makes you feel....thenpour her a glass of wine.... then during dinner tell her about the build challenge and how much it would mean to you to participate and show everyone your modeling skills. Then explain the outstanding workmanship and quaility of the Novarossi .21.....andthe couple hundred bux its gonna run you and how its going to blow away the competition and you'll end up on tops because of her....
BTW the Solinger mount costs $17 bux including shipping!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78432.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1374170  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.