RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   .21 Zippkit ready to go (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/9558990-21-zippkit-ready-go.html)

toyotatruckin 04-23-2011 07:06 PM

RE: .21 Zippkit ready to go

Handy little starting box advanced, Makes life easier! Guy at the Oklahoma club I knew took a small Gott cooler and mounted a power-panel on it with batteries inside etc, it made a very slick little field box, quick and simple but very effective-looked good when finished to.

advanced builder 04-24-2011 05:40 AM

Thanks Mike
24 volts sure makes things easy. Got power now. I plan on making a few over the winter, using exotic woods. for my buddies. The first ones the hardest. I know what I'm doing now.
You made me feel guilty on the bearings ,Ive got-em soaking in hydro fluid. [:o]
A good way to ruin them bearings.I need a good kick in the butt. I do plan on running my old case and save the NIB for a spare. This is the stuff that makes you faster. than your buddy.
Yes I'm guilty I love speed. Happy Easter guys

kgibson4 04-24-2011 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

You made me feel guilty on the bearings ,Ive got-em soaking in hydro fluid. [:o]
A good way to ruin them bearings.I need a good kick in the butt.
Ha Ha, sorry AB. I am <u>not</u> the bearing police! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif I just worry about those bearings spinning at 35 or 40,000 RPM. That's fast!

I'd like to see some of your crank work but not if you don't want give up speed secrets. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

advanced builder 04-24-2011 05:08 PM

I believe I found out what going on with my .12
1 small washer missing on my banjo fuel fitting Yes one washer ON each side of the fitting. One washer was on my fuel fitting that came with the NIB carb. How it got there got me. I also buffed out the carb' insides. The spray bar is modified to Glenn's advice. One thing from HOR is a real neat part you can't live without. Yes the servo checker. I use a battery and a switch you can test up to 3 servos at a time. My carb settings are always hard to setup. getting the carb to shut, when I install my engine into my mount. I hook up my linkage before I set-in my bolt down screws. I can use this new checker can keep my servo at center. It has 3 functions servo center ,servo movement with the saver switch and like your wipers-blades on your windshield.

advanced builder 05-09-2011 01:46 PM

I do have a video but it's got a flaw in the recording. So I can't post it. A beautiful sponson buoy hit, airborne and cartwheeling down the turn. We plan on running this weekend. We will get some video out. I did decide on a color silver. I mixed enough to paint 2 hulls a cat and a deep-vee. The part A is very heavy and thick.
PS the paint job is almost done. Now I'll need to paint the Alum vents. Black is a good choice. They will show off the hull some. Nothing fancy, I plan on racing this hull. I did want to see her.

advanced builder 05-16-2011 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK I'm ready for the race season. got my cat ready to run. I need some time in the water to set my strut and find a good pipe /prop combo The .21 CMB is broken in but still kinda new. got the Zoom carb

TCHedOff 05-16-2011 12:35 PM

A construction tip I've been meaning to add to this thread is how I mounted my Turn fin. I used 8/32 "Rivet Head Aluminum Binding Posts". For those "hardware challenged" like myself, and unfamiliar with these, think of piece of aluminum in the shape of a nail (smooth barrel, large, flat head), the has been drilled out thru the end and threaded.

I got ones long enough to go all the way thru my sponsons... and screwed my trun fin into them. So there is this aluminum head on the outside to hold things in place, epoxy to seal, and they are very lightweight.... like this better than some other things I've tried to date (like threaded inserts into the wooden dowels.

Ron Olson 05-16-2011 07:27 PM

Neil, I know that it's a little late now but I would have turned the carb around. The throttle arm might be close to the header or pipe but you wouldn't be running the remore needle and fuel line over the header, that's not a good spot.

advanced builder 05-17-2011 04:27 AM

TCHedOff ,thanks for the tip. Who makes the hardware fastener?
Ron thanks for the info I must be used to doing that setup. Yes I see what your talking about. The box is kinda high. I may need to build a newer one. With your thought in mind. My pipe is laying on the Lextan plastic top Not good. We race this weekend so I have to move on the upgrade. I may be able to use that box inside another hull{ Back to the build. }

TCHedOff 05-17-2011 09:26 AM

AB,

I got several lengths from my local Fastenal; Part # 0123411 ( for 1-1/4" length). One day I'm going to figure out how to incorporate these into a thru-the side-of-the-hull motor mounts for my lil .12. ;)

I just checked for a pic of these things and came up with this supplier/pic:
http://www.binding101.com/aluminum-screwposts.html

advanced builder 05-17-2011 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chicago Screws, That's the name they refer to .TCHedOff If it was Washington DC,Id understand
I need to get to the pond. testing my setup My .21 rigger is ready. I took a huge land ramp on- last time I ran. No major damage but I'd like to run her to CK
Craig has a speed bump I was the FIRST you heard it here First. [8D] Yes my rigger flew ,Ya 6' in the air. Landed OK and kept going for a few feet.
Ron ,OK ck the new lines look any better?

Ron Olson 05-17-2011 07:17 PM

I guess that'll do for now............... :D

advanced builder 05-18-2011 04:46 AM

My radio box is still bugging me. I better build one that has a lower front. The one I have will fit into my 2nd surprise. .21V-hull She's silver as well .What do I do with it when I'm done!! 3 hulls racing is fine 4 or 5 hulls is crazy. I kinda like to-do some kicking back at the race. We have a professor from Cornell running ,He falls asleep during the race. 1/2 hr or so , he's fine We keep things peaceful.

advanced builder 05-19-2011 06:56 AM

Ron I'm ready Looks like a decent weekend. 3 hulls to run 2 -.21 hulls and my E-Vee. I 'm hoping for no buoys.

advanced builder 06-02-2011 04:47 PM

We got a frost warning posted for tonight. Up in Old Forge. bring in the plants. get out the ice scraper. I had a sweat shirt on all day. goofy weather. humming bird feeder is full of the little ones. feels like a fall day.

advanced builder 06-14-2011 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the best thing I can come up with on my pipe. A-long one to keep the oils out.

advanced builder 07-06-2011 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK the deal of the day. used but I got it very-very cheap. Its a Aeromarine hull. which I'm not a big fan.
My cat has arrived for a weekend of racing. It's ready to bust out. The stock carb is back in. The zoom carb is out.

advanced builder 07-11-2011 05:40 AM

I'm back from a weekend of memories. Some good ones. 3 rd place finishes. I ran 4 hulls My Easy V has engine problems. Fixable I still need to improve on driving. I hit #6 buoy on the last race of the weekend. No damage, I was closing in on the leader with 1- 1/4 laps to go. He had a Zippkit lipo ,and his lipo charge was slowing.I was closing fast!!! I got all winter to think of that race.

Ron Olson 07-11-2011 05:59 AM

Neil, I hope that you stole that boat! :D A Go-Ped motor? Love those through-hull fittings on thw wrong side dumping out the water. Have Joe sell you the correct ones. The rudder appears to be way short also.

Weren't we supposed to be typing about JAE .21 'riggers? Mine's been sitting in the basement for a year now, ready to rock but has never seen water yet. Right now I'm trying to decide to keep it or unload it and drop the Nova Rossi into a mono. Kevin Sheren's got a hot mono sitting in his shop that only needs a powerplant and a radio system put in.

TCHedOff 07-11-2011 08:09 AM

My JAE .21 has just been sitting too; its black on top and bright yellow on the sides.... came out really nice. I threw it in a couple times one day last year; frankly I'm scared of it (I dont know how to go slow); now that I'm finally comfortable racing the .12, I guess I can think about the .21 for next year.

advanced builder 07-11-2011 01:42 PM

I was talking about the .21 nitro rigger going against a JAE lipo rigger. I missed the start by a 1/2 lap. So I was way back. That gas hull was a deal, yes I did notice that rudder Ron. She came with a bad radio box. Do I fix or pull. If I get at the rudder I need to remove the box to get at the bolts. Sawdust every where, What about speed ?? Is it a 23 cc engine.

Ron Olson 07-11-2011 07:55 PM

My .12 finally showed up in today's mail so I'm heading down to the dungeon to start thrashing on it in a few minutes but had to check my e-mails first. She's all painted up so it's time for re-assembly. Bright (maybe Kaw) green with white sponsons to almost match my .21 and gas JAE's.
Again, talk to Joe about a radio box as he has 2 styles in stock now, one with a tape on lid and the other has the hold-down screws. I bought the tape on lid box for my AC Blast Cat and it's the best fitting radio box I've ever had! There's no slop between the box and engine rails. A little thin on the lay-up but no big whoop.
A lot of people ditched the 23cc Zen's when the 260 came on the scene, now many of those people are wishing that they still had them as they're a high revving powerplant and wicked when modded. I'm afraid that yours might not be as it was made more for the Go-Ped market but still shouldn't disappoint you if you got a really good deal on it.

advanced builder 07-12-2011 06:16 AM

one of the iso motor mount is broken. Any one know where to get one.?? That mount is beefy. Yes I gotta get my hands inside that engine. tear everything apart. I have 2 engines setting to work on now.

advanced builder 07-19-2011 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I pulled my .21 NR apart worst case scenario. The inner baring case ,broke apart and a piece wedged the piston and the case. A hole in the case [:@] when I took the engine off the mount a tiny piece of the case came off as well. I have the CMB green head that was inside the cat -will go into the .21 Zippkit rigger. What a kick in the gut. I was really feeling good about driving that hull. I hope the CMB will take the hull to a new level. Not DNS [:@]
The CMB engine didn't like working inside the cat. the greenhead has too much head space.

Ron Olson 07-19-2011 07:52 PM

Yeah, [:@] is right! I've seen uglier but the end result is the same.
The CMB Green head should run very well in the 'rigger. Great motors but you have to watch the bearings as they can go bad quickly.