RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   Central NEW YORK boaters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/9801940-central-new-york-boaters.html)

engineman351 10-29-2012 09:29 AM

RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

That YouTube vid that Neil gave us of the FE Cat (100mph??) looks like FE might 'RULE'!!! I'll stick with the 'gassers' for the big stuff. $4-6 per gallon (with oil) vs $40 per gallon for 50% nitro!! BTW...all the rigger talk on here got me to reassemble my Cajun Bullet Gas Rigger. One repaired sponson tip and straightened boom tubes and she's ready for action come Spring. RC

Blackout 10-29-2012 10:02 AM

ORIGINAL: engineman351

That YouTube vid that Neil gave us of the FE Cat (100mph??) looks like FE might 'RULE'!!! I'll stick with the 'gassers' for the big stuff. $4-6 per gallon (with oil) vs $40 per gallon for 50% nitro!! BTW...all the rigger talk on here got me to reassemble my Cajun Bullet Gas Rigger. One repaired sponson tip and straightened boom tubes and she's ready for action come Spring. RC
Yes, gas is the cheapest way to do it. ;) FE surely is not, but FE is definitely FAST! :)

$29 per gallon for 50% if I can pick it up in Florida....

advanced builder 10-29-2012 10:46 AM

Roger did you notice that FE only goes in a straight line. No turning.

Billk44 10-29-2012 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Roger did you notice that FE only goes in a straight line. No turning.
I tell you one thing. A few years back, we had an FE only crew come in from Ohio. Everything from monos to riggers and they all turned right. 70mph P monos - very impressive. Riggers ran in the high 80's. Some very expensibe hardware though.

parshallboatworks 10-29-2012 10:59 AM

Note to self: thin ca is runny and fast, allways have knife within reach to cut fingers off whatever you are working on... <div>Note to self#2... Left hand needs to hold ca bottle LIGHTLY.... </div><div>I just had to cut fingers free from thunderboat because of clumsy left handed ca gluing... Had to carry boat attached to hand to get x-acto blade to remove fingers... Lol... I guess this will be toms hydro... Lol.. Left some DNA for future proof of build..:Dmoving on to outer chine strips now!!!</div>

Billk44 10-29-2012 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: rickyak55

Note to self: thin ca is runny and fast, allways have knife within reach to cut fingers off whatever you are working on... <div>Note to self#2... Left hand needs to hold ca bottle LIGHTLY.... </div><div>I just had to cut fingers free from thunderboat because of clumsy left handed ca gluing... Had to carry boat attached to hand to get x-acto blade to remove fingers... Lol... I guess this will be toms hydro... Lol.. Left some DNA for future proof of build..:Dmoving on to outer chine strips now!!!</div>
FYI - they a release agent that works great. Always keep in the area when using CA.

Blackout 10-29-2012 11:05 AM

FE boats can turn, but it's a bit more difficult compared to nitro as the boats are heavier. Same issue with gas boats. Getting a light .21 rigger around a 35 foot radius doing 70 mph is a piece of cake. :)

I know what Neil is talking about. A lot of FE boats on Youtube can't turn with a damn. Or the driver is just too scared and has to slow down. :D

Scott Parker should start digging this weekend. Hopefully all goes well....

parshallboatworks 10-29-2012 11:05 AM

Note to self: thin ca is runny and fast, allways have knife within reach to cut fingers off whatever you are working on...<div>Note to self#2... Left hand needs to hold ca bottle LIGHTLY....</div><div>I just had to cut fingers free from thunderboat because of clumsy left handed ca gluing... Had to carry boat attached to hand to get x-acto blade to remove fingers... Lol... I guess this will be toms hydro... Lol.. Left some DNA for future proof of build..:Dmoving on to outer chine strips now!!!</div>
2 hulls framed, transom gusset glued, bottom halfs glued together one transom glued to bottom sheeting,one set of chinestrips attached, oh and excess ca and fingertip scraped off.... Coming along...
Hey bob, tom had collett on his lower end, all set, thanks for the call!!
Rick P.
<br type="_moz" />

Blackout 10-29-2012 11:08 AM

Note to self: thin ca is runny and fast, allways have knife within reach to cut fingers off whatever you are working on... <div>Note to self#2... Left hand needs to hold ca bottle LIGHTLY.... </div><div>I just had to cut fingers free from thunderboat because of clumsy left handed ca gluing... Had to carry boat attached to hand to get x-acto blade to remove fingers... Lol... I guess this will be toms hydro... Lol.. Left some DNA for future proof of build..:Dmoving on to outer chine strips now!!!</div>
Too funny. :D Well you know the glue is working. :D

parshallboatworks 10-29-2012 11:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Billk44

Note to self: thin ca is runny and fast, allways have knife within reach to cut fingers off whatever you are working on...<div>Note to self#2... Left hand needs to hold ca bottle LIGHTLY....</div><div>I just had to cut fingers free from thunderboat because of clumsy left handed ca gluing... Had to carry boat attached to hand to get x-acto blade to remove fingers... Lol... I guess this will be toms hydro... Lol.. Left some DNA for future proof of build..:Dmoving on to outer chine strips now!!!</div>
FYI - they a release agent that works great. Always keep in the area when using CA.
i have release agent outside in field box in van... Lol.. It's in shop now!!!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/71_71.gif

parshallboatworks 10-29-2012 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Blackout

Too funny. :D Well you know the glue is working. :D
lol craig... Guessing i wont have to hit that joint twice... Great to hear the staining got done... Might have to come watch the escavator and dozer at work!!!

engineman351 10-29-2012 01:17 PM

It is funny that in most YouTube FE vids the turns are very slow. Maybe the drivers are just being careful not to flip them...but I'm pretty sure that if the CG is right and the hardware is up to the task they should rip around the corners as well as any properly set up hull. We need to put the pressure on klinker19. He has a JAE21 with 4082 power on 5 cells that should provide some excitement. I think he's worried that it has so much battery and motor that if it isn't planing...it will only 'bob' straight up and down!!! RC

advanced builder 10-29-2012 01:18 PM

I did recall how Randall expensive boat sank. Then poped up during a heat race. Big money lost. I've seen the cost of the Neu motors.

klinker19 10-29-2012 01:33 PM

One time while gluing tiresI had thin CA squirt out of bottle on my fingers and back of my hand without noticing. Went to take off saftey glasses (the fumes kill my eyes) and wipe my brow,and glued thumb and index finger to the glasses and the back of my hand to my forehead. They didn't make any release that worked back then. Not one of my brightest moments.

Thanks for removing the excess fingertip. Really trying to watch the weight on this build...

TC

Blackout 10-29-2012 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: engineman351

It is funny that in most YouTube FE vids the turns are very slow. Maybe the drivers are just being careful not to flip them...but I'm pretty sure that if the CG is right and the hardware is up to the task they should rip around the corners as well as any properly set up hull. We need to put the pressure on klinker19. He has a JAE21 with 4082 power on 5 cells that should provide some excitement. I think he's worried that it has so much battery and motor that if it isn't planing...it will only 'bob' straight up and down!!! RC
Tom could always put that FE powerplant into a JAE 45 if the JAE 21 proves to be too small. Might run well against the nitro JAE 45's! Not sure, I don't know electrics. But, I assume that power plant would be illegal for 20 hydro under the Elmira rules. Rick, get to work and build Tom a JAE 45 as well! :D

Blackout 10-29-2012 03:02 PM

Speaking of electric. Dan Hutchinson is selling a complete electric outboard setup on IW. I'd link, but that's against RCU rules. If I was to do electric, it would be an outboard JAE Zippkit rigger or tunnel.

Hydro Junkie 10-29-2012 07:56 PM

Anyone get hurt by Sandy? The wife and I have been sort of trapped in the Boston area since last night and were delayed in Washington DC due to mechanical problems with our plane flying in on the 22nd. This has made coming up and using Neil's extra shovel impossible this trip

parshallboatworks 10-29-2012 09:01 PM

12:51.... Am.. Bottom on!!! Non trip sponson sides sanded and ready to sheet... Motor mounts were a b*+¥#.... But like sandy i didnt give up!!! Its looking like a thunderboat now:D.. Next boat#2 bottom glue up... This one should be easier... If i found a bit more of my bench, i could do 2 at same time, maby i should open both doors and let sandy do her work in here.. Needs a good cleaning... I am afraid i am not going to out last her tonight.. Kids will be home from school tomorrow( today) and i will have to stay home. Guess i will have alot of time on "project hydro"!!!! ;):D<div>Rick</div>

colmo-RCU 10-30-2012 01:29 AM

Guys enjoy all those new lakes and rivers that just formed, they won't last long!! No, seriously, good luck with the storm

advanced builder 10-30-2012 01:56 AM

We got some wind and rain. Upstate is OK So far. Do we still have New Jersey ?
Rick doing a all-nigher ,Wow Hydro fever

Blackout 10-30-2012 03:03 AM

Sandy made her way into my hobby room (basement). [:o] This is normal for any large amounts of rain....

Thanks for the concerns. We are inland enough, not so much on the coast. NYC got hit hard!

Rick, you are a building machine! :)

pmerritt 10-30-2012 05:28 AM

There's a whole bunch on NEW boaters in NY today.  Get your membership forms out!</p>

klinker19 10-30-2012 06:41 AM

Thunderboat built during a hurricane?  +3mph, guaranteed.  I just wrote it on the internet so it must be true.

TC 

bdog1 10-30-2012 06:47 AM

Power is back on in webster {at my house anyway}
Craig I have a couple of guys that are interested in joining the club that run the Aquacraft UL-1's or have that set up in Dumas 36".40 size hydros.
I think it is know as the P-1 stock or spec set up in IMPBA, there are a bunch of these locally running at road side ponds..would be nice to get them into the club and racing.
I will be needing to buy some fuel for next year,please keep me in mind if you find a deal

Blackout 10-30-2012 07:04 AM

ORIGINAL: bdog1

Power is back on in webster {at my house anyway}
Craig I have a couple of guys that are interested in joining the club that run the Aquacraft UL-1's or have that set up in Dumas 36''.40 size hydros.
I think it is know as the P-1 stock or spec set up in IMPBA, there are a bunch of these locally running at road side ponds..would be nice to get them into the club and racing.
I will be needing to buy some fuel for next year,please keep me in mind if you find a deal
Hi Mike,

Sounds good, the more the merrier! :)

I'll post on here if we do a Stony Pond fuel buy. It will be a few months still.

I'll need to get up to speed on the electric classes. The Kendalls run UL-1's in Elmira, so it could be a good class next year. We will wait and see what people bring to the pond in the spring.