RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   Central NEW YORK boaters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/9801940-central-new-york-boaters.html)

parshallboatworks 11-01-2012 10:46 AM

RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

ORIGINAL: Billk44

You really want to use MAS or West epoxy inside also. These will flow into the nooks and crannies and strengthen the overall. This especially true for rigger tubs. I even use carbon veil in the engine compartment to minimize any chance of separation.
do you suggest a carbon veil in engine compartment on a bullitt hydro??? i am to the point of gluing transom on and sealing interior..
thanks, Rick
<br type="_moz" />

Billk44 11-01-2012 10:49 AM

I am not a pro on Thunderboats but I do not think it needs that kind of reinforcement. However, on sport hydro I do it just to keep it rigid. They do take a pounding. I know weight becomes an issue at times and especially in nitro hulls. Not all folks do this but I do. If you want an example of it, look at Neil's 67 rigger. I did the boat and the few extra ounces do not affect the speed. Ask anyone that saw this run..............

parshallboatworks 11-01-2012 12:03 PM

check out the bullitts...http://s1151.photobucket.com/albums/...hallwoodworks/ first time.. dont know if it will work<div>Rick</div>

Blackout 11-01-2012 12:06 PM

Scott Parker is starting work on the pond tomorrow! He said he'll be digging on Saturday and all next week.

It's going to be a cold weekend! I'll probably still try to make it to the island. If anyone else feels like it, let me know.

parshallboatworks 11-01-2012 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: rickyak55

check out the bullitts...http://s1151.photobucket.com/albums/...hallwoodworks/ first time.. dont know if it will work<div>Rick</div>
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/...psdd40389f.jpg

Blackout 11-01-2012 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: rickyak55

Looks good Rick!! [8D]

Billk44 11-01-2012 12:14 PM

The Bullitts are really nice running Thunderboats. You should have a blast with it.

parshallboatworks 11-01-2012 12:19 PM

The Bullitts are really nice running Thunderboats. You should have a blast with it.
i am building one for rodgers son, and mine at same time... talk about full shop with 2 builds and a 40%extra 260 in shop!!! i am sure we will have a blast... he bought me one for building his!! gotta say, NICE KIT JOE!!!! and THANKS TOM!!!

engineman351 11-01-2012 12:43 PM

Rick...I checked out the 'Bullits' photos. AWESOME!!! I give you a lot of credit for digging into a wooden build (2 no less) like you are. I'm no expert in building, but if it were me going through all this work, I would consider laying some carbon fiber cloth along the stringers in the area of the engine mounts as well as at the bulkheads where they meet the decking. Now, my experience is only with my fiberglass Thunderboat and Gas Sport Hydro hulls (both Aeromarine), but when these boats blow off they come down like a ton of bricks. It seems like the reinforcing around the cowl opening often separates first and then the decking is the next thing to crack. Maybe a wood hull is inherently stronger. (That has always been my thought on riggers). Maybe Tom can give you his opinion on using CF in the build. Roger C.

parshallboatworks 11-01-2012 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Rick...I checked out the 'Bullits' photos. AWESOME!!! I give you a lot of credit for digging into a wooden build (2 no less) like you are. I'm no expert in building, but if it were me going through all this work, I would consider laying some carbon fiber cloth along the stringers in the area of the engine mounts as well as at the bulkheads where they meet the decking. Now, my experience is only with my fiberglass Thunderboat and Gas Sport Hydro hulls (both Aeromarine), but when these boats blow off they come down like a ton of bricks. It seems like the reinforcing around the cowl opening often separates first and then the decking is the next thing to crack. Maybe a wood hull is inherently stronger. (That has always been my thought on riggers). Maybe Tom can give you his opinion on using CF in the build. Roger C.
thanks roger!! i have to say that these are some beautiful kits, i have to give Joe alot of credit!!! I have built several wood boats(deep-v's, hydros, tug boats,runabouts etc...)mostly old dumas stuff and these are far superior to anything minus the JAE.21... and are a joy to work on... bill-k suggested carbon fiber on bottom also... i sent Joe a e-mail to get his input... he has been very helpful with any questions i have had... we will see what he says, tom however wants light,light,light...lol... i think he is a hot-rod or somthing...lol... will post more pics as i continue, glad that photobucket thing worked!! thanks for the feedback!!! Rick P.

lynnb 11-01-2012 01:39 PM

Nice photos Rick

Joe Petro 11-01-2012 02:04 PM

They don't need any added reinforcement at all. A little cloth here and there won't hurt though.
The hulls come in very light (maybe 16 pounds RTR) so weight isn't an issue.

The only areas that I have had any crash damage from are the transom and cowling.
Make sure that the cowling CAN NOT come off the boat in a blow over.

As for the transom, when driving over other, slower boats, the transom can separate from the upper and lower sheeting.
A little cloth and epoxy would cure that.
The main thing to do is build the tail as light as possible for balance. Almost all Bullitts need nose weight.

Mount the engine as far forward as the cowling will allow (spark plug hits if too far forward).

Don't be too concerned about overall weight as some very competitive T Boats are 24+ pounds...

Build looks awesome Rick!

Joe

engineman351 11-01-2012 02:22 PM

Joe, Do you have any idea of how many ounces are on the strut if built properly? TKS, Roger

parshallboatworks 11-01-2012 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

They don't need any added reinforcement at all. A little cloth here and there won't hurt though.
The hulls come in very light (maybe 16 pounds RTR) so weight isn't an issue.

The only areas that I have had any crash damage from are the transom and cowling.
Make sure that the cowling CAN NOT come off the boat in a blow over.

As for the transom, when driving over other, slower boats, the transom can separate from the upper and lower sheeting.
A little cloth and epoxy would cure that.
The main thing to do is build the tail as light as possible for balance. Almost all Bullitts need nose weight.

Mount the engine as far forward as the cowling will allow (spark plug hits if too far forward).

Don't be too concerned about overall weight as some very competitive T Boats are 24+ pounds...

Build looks awesome Rick!

Joe

THANKS JOE!!!its a real nice kit!! i thought because of the design of the motor mounts being built into bulkhead 1,2&3 plus glued to the bottom sheeting that they would be very strong!! i may use some light cloth on the seam on bottom sheeting,and some carbon strands from bottom to transom and sides to transom joints...as i am sure we have all ripped the transoms off "going ashore"or running over the "slow" competition...lol... as for the cowling in a blow over.... who has any good ideas for latches?? THANKS FOR THE INPUT EVERYBODY!!!!!!Rick P.

Joe Petro 11-01-2012 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Joe, Do you have any idea of how many ounces are on the strut if built properly? TKS, Roger
Yes. Zero.

Joe

Billk44 11-01-2012 03:27 PM

Rare earth magnet work really well and a very clean look. Thunderboat are really good looking boats. Don't run over anyone and don't run up on shore. Make certain the engine will shutdown when you need to. Most of all, practice your driving and control. The faster you go, the faster things pop up.

Hydro Junkie 11-01-2012 03:56 PM

I have to agree with Joe, a properly built boat doesn't need extra strengthening in the engine bay. As for the transom, you could add some glue blocks along the edges to increase the strength in this area.
Getting back to you question on Z-Poxy, I'll never use it again. I found it to be brittle and not fuel proof when used in a sport 20 last year. I was able to remove all of it with a blunt edged metal bladed spreader and a Monokote heat gun

Proboat 772 11-01-2012 03:58 PM

You're doing a very nice job on your Bullitt Rick. Regarding weight, my boat weighs 18.5 pounds and it is competative.

Dick T.

Joe Petro 11-01-2012 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Proboat 772

You're doing a very nice job on your Bullitt Rick. Regarding weight, my boat weighs 18.5 pounds and it is competative.

Dick T.
18.5 pounds? What does it weigh with the engine and hardware installed? [:@]

J5oe (the "5" is silent)

advanced builder 11-01-2012 05:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

I have to agree with Joe, a properly built boat doesn't need extra strengthening in the engine bay. As for the transom, you could add some glue blocks along the edges to increase the strength in this area.
Getting back to you question on Z-Poxy, I'll never use it again. I found it to be brittle and not fuel proof when used in a sport 20 last year. I was able to remove all of it with a blunt edged metal bladed spreader and a Monokote heat gun
We TALKING gas Yes I agree with you with nitro. I got 2 tubs to build because of the Zpoxy. Sig resin is cheap and still works. But I redone my real boats floor with Mas & I have extra Rick
I will come Sat or Sun.,we still got a shovel for you HJ
I have a extra .21 and a .12 rigger kit ,that needs to be built. If you want to build. trade the Mas. if you want. Rick
Also a good looking hull by the way, good job.

advanced builder 11-01-2012 05:26 PM

I had 6 Zippkit builds going last winter. So you better get going. :D:D I'm happy building a .12 rigger.this year. I also have a used Whip to repaint- minor stuff.
also Grim fuel http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?...ic=40628&st=15

Proboat 772 11-01-2012 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

ORIGINAL: Proboat 772

Dick T.
18.5 pounds? What does it weigh with the engine and hardware installed? [:@]

J5oe (the ''5'' is silent)
I resemble that remark!!

parshallboatworks 11-01-2012 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

I had 6 Zippkit builds going last winter. So you better get going. :D:D I'm happy building a .12 rigger.this year. I also have a used Whip to repaint- minor stuff.
also Grim fuel http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?...ic=40628&st=15
lets see 6 kits last winter... hhmmm2 in 1 week,maby a week left till paint.. so 2 in 2 weeks, 5 months in winter, 4 a month,20 boats possible this winter.... danm neil, you need more time building to catch up!!! lol just kidding, any ways i have enough MAAS to do MY boat, maby tom will make a deal, so i can finish his boat...lol... if i get the MAAS for building your boat, then i have to use MY MAAS on your boat.... sounds kinda fishy!!!...lol... just sayin.. not sure whats up this weekend, maby a shovel will fit into sced. we'll see...Rick P.

parshallboatworks 11-01-2012 06:30 PM

LOL.... Was just following Joes lead, cant run anyone over till i lap em...lol look out neil!!... i have throttle cut on all boats and planes, wasnt born yesterday.. lol.. will the rare earth magnets hold in a blow over!! i have seen lots of different holddown methods and none seem to work better than others... where can you get the magnets.?? hobby shop? after running the new JAE .21 I KNOW how fast things pop up,but its usually the darn bouies that keep jumping out in front of me...cant wait till she's broke in so i can really open it up!! heck of a lot faster than the PAY N PAK i used to run!! thanks for the info and tips... much appreciated!!
Rick P.

Rare earth magnet work really well and a very clean look. Thunderboat are really good looking boats. Don't run over anyone and don't run up on shore. Make certain the engine will shutdown when you need to. Most of all, practice your driving and control. The faster you go, the faster things pop up.

bdog1 11-01-2012 06:30 PM

Rick Very nice work !
Hey is that a wing strut for a Loning in the left bottom corner ?:eek: